Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-09-02: Made in America Festival: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:04 pm 
On the bright side

Any set that opens with 'Go' is a great set.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:38 pm 
Got Some

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
That one collaboration's really cool, but I dunno if it would have been worth $100 and a fairly stock festival setlist to see it. I'd almost rather hit up Atlanta and pray for a PJ/Foo Fighters thing at the end of Music Midtown.

Foo Fighters are in Pensacola that night but I don't think anyone will be surprised if Michael Stipe shows up, maybe an It Happened Today?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:21 pm 
On the bright side

Well if B doesn't punch me in the dick too hard I will be there to see that...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:11 pm 
a joke

For what it's worth, I actually think it was pretty cool and I'm glad they did it. Kinda the most predictable choice, but still neat. I was totally troillin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Rebar wrote:
Well if B doesn't punch me in the dick too hard I will be there to see that...

Let's do a sign campaign for "Move, Bitch, Get Out the Way" with Ludacris!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:17 pm 
On the bright side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 pm 
Supersonic

Kevin Davis wrote:
dumbcharger wrote:
Those lyrics are terrible. Really.

Have you heard the song, dumbcharger? The original, I mean, not the Pearl Jam collaboration, where the lyrics fly by less audibly. I'm not trying to indict you--I'm genuinely curious. In my experience, rap lyrics, more so than any other lyrics, almost always come across as utterly dreadful in print, in part because those who transcribe them (a) always go for authenticity and transcribe the dialect as well as the actual words, and (b) never ever ever convey the line breaks, the punctuation, the mechanics of articulation, etc. that are significantly more crucial to rap than other types of music. I agree that those words don't read well on the screen, but on the recording there is a phonetic power to them; "99 Problems" is one of Jay's most authoritarian performances, and that big dumb backbeat just crams those words down your throat and into your chest. It's a behemoth of a song.

Maybe the only other Jay tune I would have liked to see Pearl Jam try would be "The Takeover," from the first Blueprint album. Hearing them try to figure out how to replicate Kanye's spliced riffery from the Doors' "Five to One" solo could have been a victory of novelty on par with Philly's "Bugs," though the performance itself probably would have been an anticlimax as none of the rappers that Jay implicates in the song as fellow kings of the 2001 Roc-A-Fella empire mean shit anymore. Either way, that dinky Ray Manzarek riff is exactly the kind of corny effect that Boom would be perfectly suited to imitating. So I'm crossing my fingers for a joint tour and future collaborations.

definitely not jayzs best stuff lyrically, but it was a radio single so he probably was told to dumb it down.. its just a fun catchy rap song

i doubt he'll ever play the takeover again anywhere.. the song was a nas diss back in the blueprint/stillmatic days.. im pretty sure theyre good friends again so im not seeing that or ether being played live anytime soon

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

Post subject: Re: MADE IN AMERICA FESTIVAL - Philadelphia, September 1-2, 2012
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 pm 
AnalLog

bodysnatcher wrote:
warehouse wrote:
cant wait to see eddie guest on 99 problems

4th post of this thread

i completely owned this thread from beginning to end

cool pic of mike and matt w/ jay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 pm 
Master of Meh

Rebar wrote:
Any set that opens with 'Go' is a great set.

:nice:

I thought it was (for the most part) a pretty cool setlist, I'm always happy to see Unemployable and Comatose turn up. Know Your Rights was a pleasant surprise.

¡B! wrote:
Interesting choice for collaboration by the band that covered Leavin' Here and wrote Daughter. Imjustsayin.

Could've been worse, B!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 pm 
Johnny Guitar

So we got to the bottom of why their set wasn't webcasted (before Kat locked the thread of course)

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=195065&start=45#p4604602
Quote:
I don't know. Ask Ed I guess. He won't even use email if he can help it, so i doubt webcasts are his thing! He's all about the live show. Not streaming them onto tiny screens.

Ed won't even use email if he can help it. It all makes sense now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:47 pm 
alot of $$$

☠Simone Turkington☠ ‏@Tikidoll
This sounds like problem #100 RT: @Gawker: Jay-Z joined Pearl Jam onstage at the Made in America festival for a rendition of "99 Problems"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Hatfield wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:
That one collaboration's really cool, but I dunno if it would have been worth $100 and a fairly stock festival setlist to see it. I'd almost rather hit up Atlanta and pray for a PJ/Foo Fighters thing at the end of Music Midtown.

That setlist looks perfect to me. Festival or mid tour, that is a great setlist. You might just be stuck in complain mode with this band.

Unemployable, Corduroy, Evolution, Know Your Rights, and Comatose make it a pretty good set for me. :thumbsup:

I'm with RA25 on this one, I thought the setlist was predictable and not on par with the band's history in Philly. It was obviously tailored to fit the broader audience of the festival and hopefully they will change it up a bit for the shows on the third weekend of September, before giving us a real treat in Montana.

Why would they change it up when playing a festival in a city they haven't played in 9 years? I think Ed will feel even more presure to "play the hits" in Atlanta.

Here is a typical Philly show:
05/27/06 – Tweeter Waterfront, Camden, NJ, USA
pre-set: Gone
set: Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, Do The Evolution, Animal, Severed Hand, Corduroy, Marker in the Sand, Given To Fly, Unemployable, Lukin -> Not For You/(Modern Girl), Daughter/(W.M.A), I Am Mine, Jeremy, Present Tense, Why Go, Porch
first encore: Better Man, Come Back, Elderly Woman, Last Kiss, Alive
second encore: State of Love and Trust, Blood, Even Flow, Comatose, Leash, Rockin’ in the Free World, Yellow Ledbetter/(Star-Spangled Banner)

With the exception of 5 extra songs, is that so much better than Sunday night?

Actually that was pretty weak for a philly show, i was at that one and night 2 and night 1 & 2 in 08 and they were all pretty nice setlists.

But i also think the MIA set was pretty nice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 pm 
Got Some

Quote:
I don't know. Ask Ed I guess. He won't even use email if he can help it, so i doubt webcasts are his thing!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 pm 
a joke

bodysnatcher wrote:
Quote:
I don't know. Ask Ed I guess. He won't even use email if he can help it, so i doubt webcasts are his thing!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 am 
Unthought Known

Liberated from the pit:

http://www.abrahamesparza.com/2012/09/pearl-jam-made-in-america-video.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:34 am 
Force of Nature

Kevin Davis wrote:
dumbcharger wrote:
Those lyrics are terrible. Really.

Have you heard the song, dumbcharger? The original, I mean, not the Pearl Jam collaboration, where the lyrics fly by less audibly. I'm not trying to indict you--I'm genuinely curious. In my experience, rap lyrics, more so than any other lyrics, almost always come across as utterly dreadful in print, in part because those who transcribe them (a) always go for authenticity and transcribe the dialect as well as the actual words, and (b) never ever ever convey the line breaks, the punctuation, the mechanics of articulation, etc. that are significantly more crucial to rap than other types of music. I agree that those words don't read well on the screen, but on the recording there is a phonetic power to them; "99 Problems" is one of Jay's most authoritarian performances, and that big dumb backbeat just crams those words down your throat and into your chest. It's a behemoth of a song.

Although not overly familiar with Jay Z's catalogue I have indeed heard this song many times. I haven't heard more than a 20 second snippet of the collab with PJ. I do agree, as with a most lyrics (especially in rock music) they need to be placed into the musical context to be be given a chance to 'work' or be appreciated fully. The technical aspect of delivering a good rap is a massive part no doubt. I think part of the source of my lack of appreciation of them (at as written words) is that whole chest beating macho subject matter as well. I wonder why guys in other genre's don't seem to find themselves in physical confrontations where they have to prove they are stronger/demand respect on what seems to be an almost daily basis?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:53 am 
Banned from the Pit

broken iris wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

That setlist looks perfect to me. Festival or mid tour, that is a great setlist. You might just be stuck in complain mode with this band.

Unemployable, Corduroy, Evolution, Know Your Rights, and Comatose make it a pretty good set for me. :thumbsup:

I'm with RA25 on this one, I thought the setlist was predictable and not on par with the band's history in Philly. It was obviously tailored to fit the broader audience of the festival and hopefully they will change it up a bit for the shows on the third weekend of September, before giving us a real treat in Montana.

SO WHAT??? A broader audience, what's wrong with that? If ONE new 19 yr old Black male/female actually uttered the name "Pearl Jam" with curiosity, interest, or respect, that is a win. Just as much as it is a win if a 35 yr old white male Pearl Jam fan wondered who Janelle Monae or Odd Future is. I like the cultural exchange that may have taken place here, rather than the bitching about not hearing "Bugs" with harmonica or something.

Banned from the Pit

broken iris wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

Last edited by Tuolumne on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Banned from the Pit

broken iris wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Hatfield wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:57 am 
Coast to Coast

You should quote that post a fourth time, to really drive the point home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live