Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-09-30: U of M Adams Center: Misoula, MT
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 pm 
Master of Meh

theplatypus wrote:
You'd think his voice would be in better shape what with all that Chinese throat medicine he gulps down in every show. Gallons and gallons of throat medicine.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 pm 
alot of $$$

I think Ed's solo shows are fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 pm 
Master of Meh

southp wrote:
As for all the bitching about down-tuned songs, it's just a fact of life - a man's voice deepens as he gets older. Neil Young deals with it as best he can, and so will Ed.

So far, I don't think he's dealing with it very well.

I'd prefer they either drop songs that are too hard to perform from the setlist or, alternatively, keep the songs at the same key but figure out a less challenging vocal melody. For one thing, the detuning isn't working - he still sounds like he's barely coping on The Fixer, Life Wasted, etc.

His solo material shows that his voice can still be an expressive and powerful instrument, but they haven't yet figured out how to make that work in Pearl Jam. Backspacer is full of songs where Ed struggles - they were never once able to play The Fixer, Gonna See My Friend or Got Some live in their original key, for instance.

Last edited by spenno on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 pm 
Johnny Guitar

When I attended the Philly show, it was the first time since WPB 08 that I'd seen them. The setlist didn't bother me, because it was really great to see them. The excitement was high. And I think they played really tight that night.

Fast forward to Midtown Atlanta. Saw some great bands play. Pearl Jam was a letdown because it was basically the same setlist.Same setlist with 5 or 6 Backspacer songs. Awful. Supersonic? Really dude? Come onnnn. I knew after seeing Deluna's list that it wouldn't be backed up with something like that. Instead it was the same stuff.

But I would have bet everything that Missoula would be an incredible show with some rarities. Seeing that Mark Arm and Mudhoney would be there, and it not being a festival show, I thought it would be special.

I feel bad for the long time fans that thought along the same lines as I did...and to travel out that far for that song list. It's just a letdown.

And to think, all Eddie had to do to blow away the crowd would have been to open with Release, or (I know super rare) Wash... or even 'sometimes' or "of the girl" (maybe not blow away with that one, but still cool)

All he had to do was throw in "In my tree" or "red mosquito" or 'WMA' or "Smile".... He didn't have to add all these. Just throw in a few to make it more personable and memorable.

In West Palm08 they played "Who You Are"...not my favorite song. Hell, I don't even really like it much, but it was rare and it was f'n cool. It felt like we were getting something a lot of fans might not get every night in the future shows of the leg. And those other shows would get songs we didn't get in WPB. It's what has always made a PJ show so awesome.

But you guys are so right. It's too repeated. Too rehearsed. Too blah.

As for his voice, there's a reason he doesn't sing "Not For you" or "Insignificance" or "Rats" often or not at all. Sure, with age a voice deepens. But smoking doesn't help at all. It really blows.

Anyways, I'm going to see him in Ft lauderdale for 2 nights. I know what to expect. It's what I'm now used to.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 pm 
Master of Meh

They've been playing Not For You a lot the last two years, for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 pm 
Coast to Coast

His voice isn't deepening. It's thinning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:46 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

theplatypus wrote:
His voice isn't deepening. It's thinning.

This.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 pm 
AnalLog

Oceans wrote:
When I attended the Philly show, it was the first time since WPB 08 that I'd seen them. The setlist didn't bother me, because it was really great to see them. The excitement was high. And I think they played really tight that night.

Fast forward to Midtown Atlanta. Saw some great bands play. Pearl Jam was a letdown because it was basically the same setlist.Same setlist with 5 or 6 Backspacer songs. Awful. Supersonic? Really dude? Come onnnn. I knew after seeing Deluna's list that it wouldn't be backed up with something like that. Instead it was the same stuff.

But I would have bet everything that Missoula would be an incredible show with some rarities. Seeing that Mark Arm and Mudhoney would be there, and it not being a festival show, I thought it would be special.

I feel bad for the long time fans that thought along the same lines as I did...and to travel out that far for that song list. It's just a letdown.

And to think, all Eddie had to do to blow away the crowd would have been to open with Release, or (I know super rare) Wash... or even 'sometimes' or "of the girl" (maybe not blow away with that one, but still cool)

All he had to do was throw in "In my tree" or "red mosquito" or 'WMA' or "Smile".... He didn't have to add all these. Just throw in a few to make it more personable and memorable.

In West Palm08 they played "Who You Are"...not my favorite song. Hell, I don't even really like it much, but it was rare and it was f'n cool. It felt like we were getting something a lot of fans might not get every night in the future shows of the leg. And those other shows would get songs we didn't get in WPB. It's what has always made a PJ show so awesome.

But you guys are so right. It's too repeated. Too rehearsed. Too blah.

As for his voice, there's a reason he doesn't sing "Not For you" or "Insignificance" or "Rats" often or not at all. Sure, with age a voice deepens. But smoking doesn't help at all. It really blows.

Anyways, I'm going to see him in Ft lauderdale for 2 nights. I know what to expect. It's what I'm now used to.

no offense, but your mindset is part of the problem. dte isnt rare at all, and its probably my favorite live pj song right now. you're sitting here saying you liked hearing a song live, even though you dont like the song, b/c its "rare"? thats retarded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 pm 
Master of Meh

I don't think the answer to any of Pearl Jam's woes is the rotation of MORE rare songs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 am 
alot of $$$

spenno wrote:
I don't think the answer to any of Pearl Jam's woes is the rotation of MORE rare songs.

totally agree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:04 am 
Unthought Known

spenno wrote:

So... I don't think the answer is to rotate in more rare songs, but to rotate songs out of their pre-designated spots in the sets and it would be nice if fewer songs had ended up being "rare". Taking Alive out of Encore 2 every show would be a good start. Reduce the number of covers per show. Put songs like Faithful, Red Mosquito, In Hiding, and NAIS back into more sets. I know we as fans have no right to complain given what the band has blessed us with for two decades, but it's hard not to think "If only.." after so many years with the band.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:05 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

broken iris wrote:
spenno wrote:

So... I don't think the answer is to rotate in more rare songs, but to rotate songs out of their pre-designated spots in the sets and it would be nice if fewer songs had ended up being "rare". Taking Alive out of Encore 2 every show would be a good start. Reduce the number of covers per show. Put songs like Faithful, Red Mosquito, In Hiding, and NAIS back into more sets. I know we as fans have no right to complain given what the band has blessed us with for two decades, but it's hard not to think "If only.." after so many years with the band.

We're paying customers. We have every right to complain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:12 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Play nothing but new songs with maybe two old songs a night. This is the future. We'll complain then too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 am 
Master of Meh

dimejinky99 wrote:
Play nothing but new songs with maybe two old songs a night. This is the future. We'll complain then too.

You make a lot of sweeping generalisations that lack any grounding in fact, dime - "if X happens, everyone will say Y", "We're all growing out of Pearl Jam because I feel X", etc.

Some fans would complain if they focused on new material, but I'd think it was great. I've been saying they should have been doing that for a long time. They can play older songs too, but at least be thoughtful about which ones actually sound good and fit in with the band's current capabilities: there's no reason why a song like Why Go should be played every single night while tunes like Faithfull or Red Mosquito get dusted off once per tour.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 am 
AnalLog

faithfull should really be played at every show

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:53 am 
Former PJ Drummer

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

You make a lot of sweeping generalisations that lack any grounding in fact, dime - "if X happens, everyone will say Y", "We're all growing out of Pearl Jam because I feel X", etc.

Some fans would complain if they focused on new material, but I'd think it was great. I've been saying they should have been doing that for a long time. They can play older songs too, but at least be thoughtful about which ones actually sound good and fit in with the band's current capabilities: there's no reason why a song like Why Go should be played every single night while tunes like Faithfull or Red Mosquito get dusted off once per tour.

Dime is right though. You even said it yourself afterwards. of course dime doesnt mean "everyone".....

But yea....i agree. Its a shame the past 6 years has all but ignored the material that actually is the reason the fanbase stuck around. Songs like red mosquito, faithful, albums like no code, binaural..... Weren't hot on the top 40 charts but were the albums that separated the casual fan from the hardcore fan. The hardcore fan that has propped them up on all these tours after all these years of not being commercially viable. Its like they are playing all the shitty butt rock songs to thank their fans that originally bailed on them for not continuing to right those songs.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:18 am 
Johnny Guitar

[quote]no offense, but your mindset is part of the problem. dte isnt rare at all, and its probably my favorite live pj song right now. you're sitting here saying you liked hearing a song live, even though you dont like the song, b/c its "rare"? thats retarde/quote]

1. Pay attention buddy. I didn't mention Do the Evolution. I know DTE is played almost every night.

2. Its not difficult to comprehend. So, let me break it down for ya: even though I don't care for a song (my own personal opinion) its nice to see a rare song that is not on repeat every night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 am 
Master of Meh

Really, the best (and perhaps only) solution is for these guys to come up with some good new music and make that the focus of their live show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:17 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

remember when the avocado tour started and the first 4-5 songs of the night were from the new album? i liked that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:25 am 
Master of Meh

AndySlash wrote:
remember when the avocado tour started and the first 4-5 songs of the night were from the new album? i liked that.

Me too.

NEW SONGS: DEAL WITH IT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live