Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-09-30: U of M Adams Center: Misoula, MT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:55 am 
alot of $$$

spenno wrote:
Really, the best (and perhaps only) solution is for these guys to come up with some good new music and make that the focus of their live show.

lol?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

spenno wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Play nothing but new songs with maybe two old songs a night. This is the future. We'll complain then too.

You make a lot of sweeping generalisations that lack any grounding in fact, dime - "if X happens, everyone will say Y", "We're all growing out of Pearl Jam because I feel X", etc.

Some fans would complain if they focused on new material, but I'd think it was great. I've been saying they should have been doing that for a long time. They can play older songs too, but at least be thoughtful about which ones actually sound good and fit in with the band's current capabilities: there's no reason why a song like Why Go should be played every single night while tunes like Faithfull or Red Mosquito get dusted off once per tour.

That wasnt a generalization at all. I was taking the piss, but it actually is a viable idea for them to proceed with and just echoed what you said earlier so it's your own basis in fact that's lacking. And don't say we wouldn't complain. Someone always will. Fact.
And I wasn't generalizing about people growing out of PJ, I was asking a question looking to further understand my own doubts about where I am with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:19 am 
Master of Meh

Someone will, agreed - not everyone, but like you said, you weren't entirely serious about that. Nevermind, chalk it up to tone not always being apparent on the internet: sorry to be such a nag.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

It's cool. Bit if I think on it, having played Europe so often in the recent past, we'd probably be a good proving ground for that kind of show and I think the fanbase here would be for it in the majority. It'd be a reach for say, Oz or the US right now.
I'm withyou though, at this point I'd be up for it.

*just to note I am the guy who walked out of the show when they played Supersonic for the first time, shouting something like 'that's it! They've lost it!'. Could be argued I was right about that but I regret it still.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

dimejinky99 wrote:
*just to note I am the guy who walked out of the show when they played Supersonic for the first time, shouting something like 'that's it! They've lost it!'. Could be argued I was right about that but I regret it still.

You missed an outstanding version of Crazy Mary (assuming this was the London o2 gig).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am 
Banned from the Pit

Don't tell me you missed Hail, Hail, Footsteps, LROM and that awesome Crazy Mary?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

dimejinky99 wrote:
*just to note I am the guy who walked out of the show when they played Supersonic for the first time, shouting something like 'that's it! They've lost it!'.

wtf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:45 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

warehouse wrote:
faithfull should really be played at every show

Agreed. Faithfull should be played every night until we're bored of it like Corduroy.
It should be one of those non-singles that becomes a hit if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:25 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Bored of Corduroy? I've been bored of quite a few staples, but never Corduroy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 pm 
Force of Nature

knee tunes wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
*just to note I am the guy who walked out of the show when they played Supersonic for the first time, shouting something like 'that's it! They've lost it!'.

wtf

It's another one of his attention seeking things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Enough with these corporate cocksuckers....how was Mudhoney?? Setlist anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 pm 
Unthought Known

VinylGuy wrote:
Enough with these corporate cocksuckers....how was Mudhoney?? Setlist anyone?

I liked them much better this time than @ PJ20. They did Touch Me I'm Sick and Suck You Dry, I didn't recognize the rest, but I haven't listened to their albums in over a decade. They played one song Mark said was from an upcoming album.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 pm 
Banned from the Pit

VinylGuy wrote:
Enough with these corporate cocksuckers....

This made my week. It's been a quiet week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:45 pm 
Johnny Guitar

warehouse wrote:

Agreed.

And for me that's deeper than just b/c it's a good song. I have no idea if my viewpoint here applies to anyone else. I too had the thought (not in Missoula, but in Stockholm) that maybe the magic is over and it's not worth so much effort anymore. But the reason it still IS, for me, has to do with nourishing the part of myself and the connection w/ others that PJ has made possible. FAITHFUL is exactly what this band helps me to be. Not it "God" per se (I'm an athiest), but in something somehow bigger, and in myself as part of that, which I think is something the bad also works to do and to provide.

I also think a lot of stuff still kicks ass live, even though I agree with much of what others have said about the setlists becoming too predictable, Ed's voice getting thin, etc.. I thought Missoula was a great show (as you know from my post way back when this thread seemed like it was about Missoula!). Was it the setlist I would have made up? Of course not. But the highlights were still really high.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:30 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

yofismom wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Agreed.

And for me that's deeper than just b/c it's a good song. I have no idea if my viewpoint here applies to anyone else. I too had the thought (not in Missoula, but in Stockholm) that maybe the magic is over and it's not worth so much effort anymore. But the reason it still IS, for me, has to do with nourishing the part of myself and the connection w/ others that PJ has made possible. FAITHFUL is exactly what this band helps me to be. Not it "God" per se (I'm an athiest), but in something somehow bigger, and in myself as part of that, which I think is something the bad also works to do and to provide.

I also think a lot of stuff still kicks ass live, even though I agree with much of what others have said about the setlists becoming too predictable, Ed's voice getting thin, etc.. I thought Missoula was a great show (as you know from my post way back when this thread seemed like it was about Missoula!). Was it the setlist I would have made up? Of course not. But the highlights were still really high.

You know, for me the 2003 and specially the 2004 were somewhat dissapointing in a lot of ways...maybe the fact that by that time Riot Act was showing me it weakness as an album..i dont know.
Then in 2005 the live shows began to kick ass again, it felt like those guys were ready to be pearl jam again in some ways they werent quite clicking in a while.
2008 was the tour i got that same fear you had now. Pretty much every show featured a sloppy band or ed´s voice was showing its own limitations....but with 2009, i was in love again with the live settings.
That tour, along with a record like BS, a record that was difficult enough to have me thinking WTF is this? when i first listened, grab my attention again.....and this tour is really good too.
Even if the setlists are too Ten oriented, the band sounds great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:49 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Even if eds voie deteriorated to nothing....I would still love the band and the show if they were still putting out something i could BELLEVUE IN. And "putting out something" is not necessary tied to the songs that are being produced but moreso the overall thing that is "pearl jam". They were always bigger than just the music to me. It was something else. Sure, the music was amazing and hit deep but it was all encompassing. I don't expect that to hold up till the end of days but I would like to be able to feel something for it again....whatever that may take....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 am 
Master of Meh

NEEDS MORE FUZZ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:44 am 
Force of Nature

Cool, thanks for posting. It's a bit clean bit it's still nice to hear them playing that song.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:22 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Nice version...it sounded great in PJ20. They could play it more often, just because of that Cready solo at the end.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:13 pm 
AnalLog

southp wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Agreed. Faithfull should be played every night until we're bored of it like Corduroy.
It should be one of those non-singles that becomes a hit if you know what I mean.

i know what you mean about corduroy, but i'm not tired of it. i dunno if faithful could become that kinda staple b/c it never had the radio play corduroy had, but i think for how little it gets played it always gets a great response. maybe its just a philly thing, people 'in hiding' always gets a big response here, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live