Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-09-30: U of M Adams Center: Misoula, MT
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:21 pm 
alot of $$$

The best part about this thread? I'm pretty sure nobody really complained about the show. LOL. I said the setlist was fine, the time they played was fine. I just said this show made me realize that I'm kind of over Pearl Jam. I actually thought about making a separate thread for it, cause it has almost nothing to do with the actual show.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm 
Reissued

that's just like, your opinion man

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

broken iris wrote:
Rebar wrote:
It's really amazing to see the contrast in views here vs. the fans over at the pit. One person over there said it was as good a show as PJ20.

Expectations were just too high, especially after seeing some of the EU and Canadian setlists, fans wrongly assumed the band wanted to please it's US fan base after such a long absence. I think maybe we are too jaded and saturated with PJ at this point. (There was a muted groan in my section (203) when Alive started as the hardcores recognized it was all textbook from there.)

you keep saying fans (or "most fans") and i'm just not seeing it. i was in 203, too, and i'll be damned if i heard one bad word about the show or peoples' expectations not being met. and that included after the show. i certainly didn't hear anyone groan when alive started, either.

missoula was fun. such a beatiful town/area. stayed with friends who lived 20 minutes outside of the city (and that i hadn't seen in 10+ years) and man, if i could wake up to that scenic view every day, i'd never be stressed.

show was pretty good, fun. won't make my personal top five shows list or anything, but it was well worth the trip to see them in such a small venue in a lovely town. the crowd was great and the band definitely fed from it (but sadly didn't offer anything extra beyond what they had planned, based on the setlist photo). was hoping for hitchhiker the most. alas... set was pretty on par with what they played at the festival shows, so no real surprises other than ghost, but it was a good set top to bottom. the acoustic encore 1 was especially nice- hadn't seen one of those in several years. some folks seem to have went in expecting a "special" show and that's kind of ridiculous. possible, yes. expected, no- they only played four shows in 4 weeks so i'm not sure why people would expect or figure that they were going to be dropping a ton of different material on us.

did jon tester actually leave midway through the set? i sure hope he went back/sidestage or something. ed looked surprised when he looked that way and he wasn't there later in the show. it seemed many 10cers had better tickets than jon tester. also, i didn't see any recliners on stage, so not sure what happened to that idea.

for the setlist nerds like me, my stats-

first time seeing small town open. that's 16 unique openers in 21 shows (release x 4, why go x 2, of the girl x 2, sometimes, arc, betterman, present tense, severed hand, last exit, interstellar corduroy, oceans, worldwide suicide, hard to imagine, long road, wash, small town)
songs i'd not yet heard performed live: know your rights, fortunate son
first time i've heard indifference close a show. always wanted to have that happen.
i'd not seen ghost since 2003 (and unless you were at the first spectrum show in 2009, neither had you)
man of the hour has only been played twice since 2006, and i've heard both (chicago I 2009 was the other)

i would go to missoula again in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

the eddie vedder solo show petition guy had a huge stack of info sheets he was disributing at the pre-show party bars as well as at the venue merch/concession stands. that's some tenacity right there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

AndySlash wrote:
the eddie vedder solo show petition guy had a huge stack of info sheets he was disributing at the pre-show party bars as well as at the venue merch/concession stands. that's some tenacity right there.

He was really working hard in Wisconsin in PJ20. It was pouring and the guy was just there handing those like it was the end of the world.
If those boots are released we have to thank him big time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:58 pm 
Banned from the Pit

given2trade wrote:
I'm flattered that apparently I'm the voice of negativity on RM. If memory serves me correct, I almost never post in PJ chat. The vast majority of my posts the last year have been on business related issues like the fan club and Oracle, etc.

Also, If I hate Pearl Jam so much, why did I fly 3 hours to see a show? Would a troll do that just to be able to piss off a few people on a message board?

You need to get outside, bud. There is more to life than Pearl Jam. They don't need you to defend them. They are doing really well.

Haha ... hilarious! Why? cause I've been to just 11 shows, never bought a plane ticket to see them, never stayed overnight at a hotel for them, have just handful of bootlegs And somehow this board has branded me the psycho Synergy fanboy (I probably didn't help myself much here) while the dude who's seen 65 shows and spent thousands of dollars is the "normal" one. I've just maintained my fandom at a level where I can stay a fan, that's all. Yeah, totally agree this is 14 pages of insanity, but I probably think so for vastly different reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:12 pm 
Unthought Known

AndySlash wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Rebar wrote:
It's really amazing to see the contrast in views here vs. the fans over at the pit. One person over there said it was as good a show as PJ20.

Expectations were just too high, especially after seeing some of the EU and Canadian setlists, fans wrongly assumed the band wanted to please it's US fan base after such a long absence. I think maybe we are too jaded and saturated with PJ at this point. (There was a muted groan in my section (203) when Alive started as the hardcores recognized it was all textbook from there.)

you keep saying fans (or "most fans") and i'm just not seeing it. i was in 203, too, and i'll be damned if i heard one bad word about the show or peoples' expectations not being met. and that included after the show. i certainly didn't hear anyone groan when alive started, either.

It's entirely possible you experienced a different cross-section of the crowd than I did. I have been in the same position as you are with past shows. For the record, I liked the show, but it was lacking the magic of some of the past shows I have attended and for it was just more obvious tonight than it has been in the past.

AndySlash wrote:
show was pretty good, fun. won't make my personal top five shows list or anything, but it was well worth the trip to see them in such a small venue in a lovely town. the crowd was great and the band definitely fed from it (but sadly didn't offer anything extra beyond what they had planned, based on the setlist photo). was hoping for hitchhiker the most. alas... set was pretty on par with what they played at the festival shows, so no real surprises other than ghost, but it was a good set top to bottom. the acoustic encore 1 was especially nice- hadn't seen one of those in several years. Some folks seem to have went in expecting a "special" show and that's kind of ridiculous. possible, yes. expected, no- they only played four shows in 4 weeks so i'm not sure why people would expect or figure that they were going to be dropping a ton of different material on us.

I think we are in agreement here, but being that this is the third full-up US show since May 2010 only one this year, and given the amazing song choices that our Euro friends have consistently gotten over the last few years, I think people were justified in expecting a more diverse setlist after sticking with the band during it's absence (Being a cynical person by nature, I assumed a greatest hits set at every show I attend, so I was not surprised but had hoped for NAIS or Smile or RM or Strange Tribe FFS.) I am aware of how entitled that sounds, but I would put at least part of that back on the bands lack of touring in the states. Eddie said it had been the "best AMERICAN crowd in long time", well if you want American fans whipped into a EU like fever pitch, play more shows here and give them a setlist like you give the folks across the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:16 pm 
Johnny Guitar

broken iris wrote:
jdopj wrote:
Quote:
I think it's true that Pearl Jam are responsible (in part) for creating that expectation in their fan base, however I (and apparently Ed) think through doing that they've backed themselves into a corner from which it's increasingly difficult to extricate themselves. The position they've found themselves in is of a band serving up a veritable jukebox of past glories and, whether by accident or design, it's placed a constraint on their ability to figure out what Pearl Jam actually means to these musicians in 2012.

This was a quote by Spenno in another topic, and it applies here.
They can't win. If they play a bunch of rarities, alot of people are unhappy, if they play a straightforward set, people are unhappy. They are almost obligated to play some rarities.
They did last night, plus they sat down and mixed it up a little and it was still not good enough. No Even Flow, no Fixer.........

Well, they can win. Look at any of the setlists in the second half of the EU tour. Setlists are not the defining measure of a show by any means, but people with 30+ shows do care that it's not all Ten, Vs., Avocado, and Backspacer and this show was filled with those fans. That leads into what I think has been bugging me about recent US PJ shows: it seems like they ignore the No Code through Binaural run when making setlists and IMHO, that is their best music. At this one they did squeeze in Off He Goes and Low Light, which was great, but those albums are beloved by fans and they are far deeper than DTE and G2F standards.

I do wonder if they are trying to pare down the American fan base again, much like they did in 95, in order to get back to the type of band they think they should be.

p911gt10c wrote:
I was in 203 as well. Were you near the vomit guy?

Was that you? :wink:

I was in row 6. I didn't see that dude, but I saw the cops rolling up there just as the show was starting. BTW, your link to that picture didn't work.

I understand what you are saying, but that would assume that most of the people want certain things. Why were people expecting certain things from this show? It was never advertised as such. I have missed hearing Binaural at my last 3-5 shows, but I might be in the minority. They played 6 or so songs off of No Code at my last show (Vancouver). That may be a good or bad thing depending on your tastes.
There has been alot of talk of them being more like Neil Young or MMJ. PJ plays to 12k-20k most nights, where as Neil plays to 3k-5k most nights. You can take alot more risks when you are not catering to a large crowd. I assure you alot of those people are expecting to hear Alive, and Ledbetter to close. The first night of PJ20 had some very mixed reviews based on the setlist (not the performance).

I would love for them to scrap their current "model" they use for shows and retire some songs. I don't know if they know how to get there though. That being said the shows I saw in 2010 and 2011 are some of the best I have seen by them.

Last edited by jdopj on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:18 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

broken iris wrote:
AndySlash wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Rebar wrote:

It's entirely possible you experienced a different cross-section of the crowd than I did. I have been in the same position as you are with past shows. For the record, I liked the show, but it was lacking the magic of some of the past shows I have attended and for it was just more obvious tonight than it has been in the past.

AndySlash wrote:
show was pretty good, fun. won't make my personal top five shows list or anything, but it was well worth the trip to see them in such a small venue in a lovely town. the crowd was great and the band definitely fed from it (but sadly didn't offer anything extra beyond what they had planned, based on the setlist photo). was hoping for hitchhiker the most. alas... set was pretty on par with what they played at the festival shows, so no real surprises other than ghost, but it was a good set top to bottom. the acoustic encore 1 was especially nice- hadn't seen one of those in several years. Some folks seem to have went in expecting a "special" show and that's kind of ridiculous. possible, yes. expected, no- they only played four shows in 4 weeks so i'm not sure why people would expect or figure that they were going to be dropping a ton of different material on us.

I think we are in agreement here, but being that this is the third full-up US show since May 2010 only one this year, and given the amazing song choices that our Euro friends have consistently gotten over the last few years, I think people were justified in expecting a more diverse setlist after sticking with the band during it's absence (Being a cynical person by nature, I assumed a greatest hits set at every show I attend, so I was not surprised but had hoped for NAIS or Smile or RM or Strange Tribe FFS.) I am aware of how entitled that sounds, but I would put at least part of that back on the bands lack of touring in the states. Eddie said it had been the "best AMERICAN crowd in long time", well if you want American fans whipped into a EU like fever pitch, play more shows here and give them a setlist like you give the folks across the Atlantic.

They havent played Strangest Tribe yet right? they did it in soundcheck but not live right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:19 pm 
On the bright side

can I please have a recap of this thread from jorge, thodoks, or chud?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:32 pm 
a joke

I had written a splendid recap until I saw rebar's exclusionary list.

Also, I'm gonna start trolling like crazy if it means denver reappears.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:36 pm 
AnalLog

looks like a solid set w/ a few awesome covers (kick out the jams, fortunate son). what is the problem here? no bugs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:46 pm 
Unthought Known

warehouse wrote:
looks like a solid set w/ a few awesome covers (kick out the jams, fortunate son). what is the problem here? no bugs?

The magic is gone... we are trying to rationalize why.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:46 pm 
AnalLog

well for one, jay z wasnt there

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:06 pm 
On the bright side

Skitch Patterson wrote:
I had written a splendid recap until I saw rebar's exclusionary list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 pm 
Coast to Coast

Rebar wrote:

Thanks.

Show happens.
A few posters express a certain feeling of discontentment with the show.
Tuolumne shows up to tell said posters what their problem is, how they should feel about Pearl Jam, and how to listen to music to avoid discontentment from happening. He also tells other RMers to give up or move on, a common Tuolumne tactic.
I pop in to point out this is presumptuous and lame, and in the process indirectly refer to Tuolumne as a "petulant jerk" (by saying that another user is not one).
inglishteecher misinterprets entire ordeal, calls me a bully.
Tuolumne makes hilariously overdramatic and nonsensical posts about this board's vicious negativity and how we pounce on anybody who likes The Fixer or Inside Job (and is unable to provide examples when questioned).
I point out examples of him being antagonistic and overdefensive, tell him he should try to improve RM by debating instead of attacking it. He fails to address any point, instead latches on to me indirectly calling him a jerk as an example of my hypocrisy.
VinylGuy misinterprets entire ordeal and tells us not to tell people what their problem is, how they should feel about Pearl Jam, and how to listen to music... which is exactly what Tuolumne was doing in the first place.
Also, given2trade is filthy rich.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

FTR: My issue was not with setlist. I can have a blast with jsut the hits, and i can have a shit time with just rarities and vice versa.

its the lack of care and attention given to the set and performance as a whole that is becoming obvious. They are on auto-pilot. I am not saying they don't care or suck live....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
Rebar wrote:

Thanks.

Show happens.
A few posters express a certain feeling of discontentment with the show.
Tuolumne shows up to tell said posters what their problem is, how they should feel about Pearl Jam, and how to listen to music to avoid discontentment from happening. He also tells other RMers to give up or move on, a common Tuolumne tactic.
I pop in to point out this is presumptuous and lame, and in the process indirectly refer to Tuolumne as a "petulant jerk" (by saying that another user is not one).
inglishteecher misinterprets entire ordeal, calls me a bully.
Tuolumne makes hilariously overdramatic and nonsensical posts about this board's vicious negativity and how we pounce on anybody who likes The Fixer or Inside Job (and is unable to provide examples when questioned).
I point out examples of him being antagonistic and overdefensive, tell him he should try to improve RM by debating instead of attacking it. He fails to address any point, instead latches on to me indirectly calling him a jerk as an example of my hypocrisy.
VinylGuy misinterprets entire ordeal and tells us not to tell people what their problem is, how they should feel about Pearl Jam, and how to listen to music... which is exactly what Tuolumne was doing in the first place.
Also, given2trade is filthy rich.

:shock: :haha:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 pm 
Unthought Known

Is that our beloved Jeff in this video?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:30 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Being on the Internet is fun as hell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Live