Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Recipes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 am 
Unthought Known

washing machine wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Thanks, Doug! I'm going to print that post and put it underneath an old Save the Date magnet on my fridge.

:)

teach yourself how to emulsify sauces either semi-permanent or relatively-permanent..start experimenting and knock yourself out

I've been using The Joy of Cooking as my guide. I'm sure there's a section on that sort of thing in there. I've yet to perfectly follow a recipe in that book, and I plan on keeping it that way.

I'm sure it's in there somewhere..if you have any left over peppers start with trying to master a nice andalouse sauce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 pm 
statistically insignificant

Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I'm significantly modifying my basic stuffed bell pepper recipe tonight, and the aroma from the meat is driving me crazy as I wait for my rice to finish cooking. I should have timed this better.

Here's what I'm doing:

1 pound venison, seasoned/marinated with olive oil, oregano, thyme, a dash of garlic powder and black pepper, and just a hint of louisiana hot sauce

I chopped up a clove of garlic and 1/3 cup of onions, and simmered that in a pan before browning the venison. Now I'm just waiting on the rice so I can mix all this up with tomato paste, stuff in the peppers, then bake.

sounds good, real good actually..does significantly modifying mean that you were too lazy to go shopping and just using what you have on hand?

Normally, that's exactly what I mean. This time I made a specific trip for the peppers knowing that I'd make this, but the rest of the stuff I have around my place. My sister gave me a spice rack for Christmas, so I'm going crazy in the kitchen. The venison is from my dad. Lucky me.

if you lived out here, we'd hire you as a line cook only based on your passion..we could teach you the rest..keep cooking

any chance i can get in on this too

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 pm 

Reid, pan sauces are the best place to start. And they're really, really easy to make.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:38 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I'm significantly modifying my basic stuffed bell pepper recipe tonight, and the aroma from the meat is driving me crazy as I wait for my rice to finish cooking. I should have timed this better.

Here's what I'm doing:

1 pound venison, seasoned/marinated with olive oil, oregano, thyme, a dash of garlic powder and black pepper, and just a hint of louisiana hot sauce

I chopped up a clove of garlic and 1/3 cup of onions, and simmered that in a pan before browning the venison. Now I'm just waiting on the rice so I can mix all this up with tomato paste, stuff in the peppers, then bake.

sounds good, real good actually..does significantly modifying mean that you were too lazy to go shopping and just using what you have on hand?

Normally, that's exactly what I mean. This time I made a specific trip for the peppers knowing that I'd make this, but the rest of the stuff I have around my place. My sister gave me a spice rack for Christmas, so I'm going crazy in the kitchen. The venison is from my dad. Lucky me.

if you lived out here, we'd hire you as a line cook only based on your passion..we could teach you the rest..keep cooking

any chance i can get in on this too

of course, I'll probably need 1 more person that can help bake breads in the whee hours the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:49 pm 

:?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

thodoks wrote:
Reid, pan sauces are the best place to start. And they're really, really easy to make.

I have a simple tomato sauce recipe up my sleeve, but that's about it. I need to familiarize myself with more sauced recipes at restaurants to get some new ideas, methinks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm 

washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:

I have a simple tomato sauce recipe up my sleeve, but that's about it. I need to familiarize myself with more sauced recipes at restaurants to get some new ideas, methinks.

Next time you saute some beef or pork or fish or chicken or venison or whatever, deglaze the skillet with your liquid of choice (stock or wine usually), scrape the tasty bits off the bottom, and add either butter or cream/half-and-half. Reduce it for a few minutes until it's thick enough to pour over your protein. Add fresh herbs of your choice and season to taste. Done.

This also has the advantage of letting the juices in the meat redistribute.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:37 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Consider that done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:28 pm 
wat

thodoks wrote:
washing machine wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Next time you saute some beef or pork or fish or chicken or venison or whatever, deglaze the skillet with your liquid of choice (stock or wine usually), scrape the tasty bits off the bottom, and add either butter or cream/half-and-half. Reduce it for a few minutes until it's thick enough to pour over your protein. Add fresh herbs of your choice and season to taste. Done.

This also has the advantage of letting the juices in the meat redistribute.

I agree.

If I can I like to keep a cheap bottle of wine from Aldi or something in the fridge for cooking and "meat" must rest for bit.

I made a quiche the other day and sauteed a can of mushrooms in the wine elimating the terrible taste they have.

Last visit was: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:43 am
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace. - Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:29 pm 
Spacegirl

in an attempt at lighter fare after the super bowl, i'm making a moroccan dish this evening - saffron fish balls in tomato sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm 

My guacamole was a hit last night!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm 
Spacegirl

*exhales*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining