Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm 
Unthought Known

Raised in his mother's and grandmother's kitchens, Alton Brown worked as a cook throughout high school and college. But he never considered a career in food until—after a decade working as a cinematographer and video director—he realized that he spent all his time between shoots watching cooking shows, reading cookbooks and, yes, eating.

After this epiphany, Alton and his wife DeAnna left the film business and moved to Vermont. Why ditch the film career? To pursue his first love: Food. Alton attended the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, VT, but during his years as a culinary student and throughout the restaurant and catering jobs that followed, he couldn't forget about television. Visions of comedy sketches, film noir and grilled beef filled his mind. He started to conceive a new kind of cooking show, one that would entertain and inform with wit and humor —- something for his sitcom-and-fast-food-junkie generation. With that in mind, he started writing Good Eats, a show that combines his passion for food with quirky pop culture. Alton not only writes the shows but also stars in each offbeat episode. He has also written I'm Just Here for the Food, Alton Brown Gear for Your Kitchen, and Alton Brown Kitchen User's Manual.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/alton_b ... 65,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:25 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I don't know if you proved your case, Outsider. Alton Brown is a great cinematographer, but he's never been a high-stress, restaurant owner/chef. He's a different kind of chef than the Iron Chef showboats.

And Stephanie March is a hottie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:47 pm 
Unthought Known

B wrote:
I don't know if you proved your case, Outsider. Alton Brown is a great cinematographer, but he's never been a high-stress, restaurant owner/chef. He's a different kind of chef than the Iron Chef showboats.

Like I said, he has to have a thorough understanding of food in order to break it down and teach it to people. In addition, he's worked in restaurants and has catered. To suggest he doesn't understand the stress of time-constrained cooking is underestimating what it takes to run a kitchen. He doesn't own some fancy shmancy restaurant in NYC or Vegas but he's still done the work. So what if his name wasn't hanging out front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:05 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Outsider wrote:
B wrote:

Like I said, he has to have a thorough understanding of food in order to break it down and teach it to people. In addition, he's worked in restaurants and has catered. To suggest he doesn't understand the stress of time-constrained cooking is underestimating what it takes to run a kitchen. He doesn't own some fancy shmancy restaurant in NYC or Vegas but he's still done the work. So what if his name wasn't hanging out front.

You're comparing a cook job in college to restaurant owner/manager? Hey, I'd like to see him compete as well, but I've never seen him make ANYTHING like the stuff they make on that show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:10 pm 
not a big Gay guy

Outsider wrote:
Do we know where he studied?

NECI, hence that funny hat he wears on early episodes of good eats

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:17 pm 
not a big Gay guy

Outsider wrote:
B wrote:

how many recipes has he shown us on his shows/books that are original creations?

i understand he has a thorough understanding of food in order to break it down and teach it to people, but there's a wide chasm between understanding existing recipes and being a culinary artist. Perhaps AB is, in fact, capable of doing so, but i've not seen anything from him that leads me to believe so. i think the forward of one of his books even says that he's more interested in "hacks" to acheiving known results than he is with exploring "new" culinary territory.

and again, i don't say this to take anything whatsoever away from him. i just don't see him performing particularly well as a challenger on the show

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:57 pm 
Unthought Known

B wrote:
Outsider wrote:
B wrote:

You're comparing a cook job in college to restaurant owner/manager? Hey, I'd like to see him compete as well, but I've never seen him make ANYTHING like the stuff they make on that show.

Quote:
Alton attended the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, VT, but during his years as a culinary student and throughout the restaurant and catering jobs that followed, he couldn't forget about television.

Knuckles, I understand your point and I know you understand mine. I truly don't believe Alton would be slaughtered though. We haven't seen him break any culinary ground because his public persona is one that sells hack recipes to the general public. Who knows what he did during his stints as head chef.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:07 pm 
Supersonic

AB is a master at dishes that have been accomplished for years and years. its the improv where i think he might fall behind the likes of Batali or flay. ab seriously knows his shit though and is perfect as the iron chef commentator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:15 pm 
Unthought Known

1/2faithfull wrote:
AB is a master at dishes that have been accomplished for years and years. its the improv where i think he might fall behind the likes of Batali or flay. ab seriously knows his shit though and is perfect as the iron chef commentator

Fuck off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:44 pm 
not a big Gay guy

i made AB's beef jerky over the weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:26 am 
 WWW  Profile

I don't know what this Feasting on Asphault show is going to be about, but it oughta be cool. AB broke his clavacle filming it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:32 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

B wrote:
I don't know what this Feasting on Asphault show is going to be about, but it oughta be cool. AB broke his clavacle filming it.

My clavacle bones pop out a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

I just watched seven hours of Alton Brown on Food Network. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:47 am 
Got Some

The Secret Life Of and Unwrapped rule. Mostly for Jim OConnor and Marc Summers

"Just say 'here' and we'll assume 'here' is short for 'Here I am, rock you like a hurricane!'"

Post subject: Re: Food Network
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 am 
 WWW  Profile

No more Good Eats. :(

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/alto ... twork.html

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:18 am 
Supersonic

B wrote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:22 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Seriously, the quality of the food network has gone completely to shit. How many fucking cook-off competition shows does one station really NEED? I could die happily without seeing another high maintenance twit mary-sue for twenty minutes over her designer vegan cupcakes.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:40 am 
Poney Girl

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
Seriously, the quality of the food network has gone completely to shit. How many fucking cook-off competition shows does one station really NEED? I could die happily without seeing another high maintenance twit mary-sue for twenty minutes over her designer vegan cupcakes.

If you want COOKING shows you have to go to

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Wes C. Addle wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

If you want COOKING shows you have to go to

But that's kinda annoying too.

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining