Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Crock Pot
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:48 pm 
On the bright side

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Made a spinach, mushroom, and Italian sausage lasagna last night a la America's Test Kitchen. Turned out pretty stellar.

Could this be it minus the sausage?

Spoiler: show
Quote:
From "Slow Cooker Revolution," by the editors of Cook's Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen). Do not use no-boil noodles, they will turn too soft. And do not use homemade cream sauce, or it will curdle. Store-bought Alfredo sauce will stay intact. Serves 6 to 8.
Ingredients
Vegetable oil spray
8 curly-edged lasagna noodles (7 ounces), broken in half
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
20 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and chopped coarse
1 jar (15 ounces) Alfredo sauce
1 3/4 cups ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup minced fresh basil
1 large egg
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (1 pound)
Directions
Line slow cooker with aluminum foil collar: Layer and fold sheets of heavy-duty foil until you have a six-layered rectangle that measures 16 by 4 inches. Press the collar into the back side of the slow cooker insert. Fit two more large sheets of foil into the slow cooker, perpendicular to each other, with the extra hanging over the edges of the cooker for a sling to help remove the lasagna later.
Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add broken lasagna noodles and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente. Drain noodles, rinse under cold water until cool, then spread out in single layer over clean kitchen towels and let dry. (Do not use paper towels; they will stick to noodles.)
Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook until mushrooms are dry and browned, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Stir in spinach and Alfredo sauce, scraping up any browned bits, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
In bowl, mix ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together. Spread 1/2 cup mushroom-spinach sauce into prepared slow cooker.
Arrange 4 lasagna noodle pieces in slow cooker, overlapping if necessary, then dollop 9 rounded tablespoons of ricotta mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella, then spoon 1 cup more mushroom-spinach sauce over top. Repeat layering of lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella and mushroom-spinach sauce twice more.
For final layer, arrange remaining 4 noodles in slow cooker, then top with remaining mushroom-spinach sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Cover and cook until lasagna is heated through, about 4 hours on low.
Let lasagna cool for 20 minutes. Using sling, transfer lasagna to serving platter and serve.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:53 am 
Supersonic

Rebar wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Made a spinach, mushroom, and Italian sausage lasagna last night a la America's Test Kitchen. Turned out pretty stellar.

Could this be it minus the sausage?

Spoiler: show
Quote:
From "Slow Cooker Revolution," by the editors of Cook's Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen). Do not use no-boil noodles, they will turn too soft. And do not use homemade cream sauce, or it will curdle. Store-bought Alfredo sauce will stay intact. Serves 6 to 8.
Ingredients
Vegetable oil spray
8 curly-edged lasagna noodles (7 ounces), broken in half
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 pounds white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
20 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and chopped coarse
1 jar (15 ounces) Alfredo sauce
1 3/4 cups ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup minced fresh basil
1 large egg
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (1 pound)
Directions
Line slow cooker with aluminum foil collar: Layer and fold sheets of heavy-duty foil until you have a six-layered rectangle that measures 16 by 4 inches. Press the collar into the back side of the slow cooker insert. Fit two more large sheets of foil into the slow cooker, perpendicular to each other, with the extra hanging over the edges of the cooker for a sling to help remove the lasagna later.
Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add broken lasagna noodles and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, until al dente. Drain noodles, rinse under cold water until cool, then spread out in single layer over clean kitchen towels and let dry. (Do not use paper towels; they will stick to noodles.)
Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook until mushrooms are dry and browned, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Stir in spinach and Alfredo sauce, scraping up any browned bits, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
In bowl, mix ricotta, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together. Spread 1/2 cup mushroom-spinach sauce into prepared slow cooker.
Arrange 4 lasagna noodle pieces in slow cooker, overlapping if necessary, then dollop 9 rounded tablespoons of ricotta mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella, then spoon 1 cup more mushroom-spinach sauce over top. Repeat layering of lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella and mushroom-spinach sauce twice more.
For final layer, arrange remaining 4 noodles in slow cooker, then top with remaining mushroom-spinach sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Cover and cook until lasagna is heated through, about 4 hours on low.
Let lasagna cool for 20 minutes. Using sling, transfer lasagna to serving platter and serve.

That's it. They have another recipe for an Italian lasagna that I incorporated into this recipe with a marinara sauce instead of Alfredo. Go easy on the basil though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:59 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I recently acquired about a gallon of turkey broth. The fat has already been skimmed off. I'm definitely going to put it in the crock pot in the next few days, but with what else?

I have some venison sausage (some ground, some linked) at my disposal, but not much else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:22 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Thanks, guys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:26 pm 
Spacegirl

rice? noodles?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

I was hoping to do something fun with this stuff. I just don't use stock enough anyway, so I don't really know where to begin. My instincts tell me soup, but that just seems sort of boring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 pm 
Unthought Known

I'll be pulling the crock out of hibernation tonight and making beef stew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:31 pm 
Spacegirl

washing machine wrote:
I was hoping to do something fun with this stuff. I just don't use stock enough anyway, so I don't really know where to begin. My instincts tell me soup, but that just seems sort of boring.

turkey gumbo, risotto... google is your friend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:32 pm 
Unthought Known

washing machine wrote:

soup isnt boring..just add the essentials: celery, carrot, bay leaf, onion, thyme, salt, and water...like spike said, maybe add some fusilli with it..What texture is the venison?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:36 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Spike wrote:
google is your friend.

This is such a terrible response to give somebody on an internet forum. I hate to be so blunt with you, John, but it's a fact. If I wanted to google this, I would have. Instead, I want to share ideas with my real friends. My internet friends.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Doug RR wrote:
What texture is the venison?

Some of it is in sausage links, and some is ground up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Risotto might be the ticket.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 pm 
Unthought Known

washing machine wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
What texture is the venison?

Some of it is in sausage links, and some is ground up.

cook it on low overnight and throw the links in..add some ground first thing in the morning for a few more hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

So then I'll just have meaty shit to what...throw over fusilli?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm 
Spacegirl

washing machine wrote:
Spike wrote:
google is your friend.

This is such a terrible response to give somebody on an internet forum. I hate to be so blunt with you, John, but it's a fact. If I wanted to google this, I would have. Instead, I want to share ideas with my real friends. My internet friends.

somtimes one has to be patient on an internet forum. you seemed unwilling to wait any longer for a response to your query, so i thought i'd hasten the process. sorry, i was only trying to help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 pm 
Unthought Known

washing machine wrote:

it's like you're not even trying

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:48 pm 
Unthought Known

add a can of tomatos and some red wine or cognac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:50 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Spike wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Spike wrote:
google is your friend.

somtimes one has to be patient on an internet forum. you seemed unwilling to wait any longer for a response to your query, so i thought i'd hasten the process. sorry, i was only trying to help.

It's frustrating seeing the Image of the thread you've posted in surrounded by the continual Image's of adjacent threads. Surely, in your lustrous RM career, you've felt that way before. However, If there was any real impatience in my tone, it was mostly because this stock isn't getting any fresher.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:53 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Sometimes, I just need reassurance. I'm too scared in the kitchen. I don't really know how food works.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 pm 
Unthought Known

washing machine wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
washing machine wrote:

Sometimes, I just need reassurance. I'm too scared in the kitchen. I don't really know how food works.

well, crockpots are pretty fool proof..btw, my wife is on her way to Houston right now..It's only a 2 day trip so I didnt tag along..she goes again in January

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining