Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 327  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:12 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

LittleWing wrote:
I was wondering how somebody got a saucer on the wall...

I'm gonna have to spend some time in Nashville...

Anyhow, I NEVER drink a beer straight out of the bottle. It doesn't matter what beer it is. It's always out of the glass. I even drink all my beer out of the same glass, that is only rinsed out with water and never touches soap. All my non-beer snob friends think I'm a freak.

But anyhow, there was just something extra fucking awesome about the Oatmeal Stout on tap that went above and beyond Youngs Oatmeal in a bottle. It was just better on every level.

So B... do the Flying Saucer girls have those outfits in Charlotte too? Holy shit man...

I will have to try this Oatmeal Stout

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:19 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
So B... do the Flying Saucer girls have those outfits in Charlotte too? Holy shit man...

God, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:30 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
Of course, I'm suprised you can talk about Pacific Northwest w/o talking about Rogue. Gimme their Hazelnut Brown Nectar any day. God, that's good. I also like their Brutal Bitter.

rogue's good but sometimes a little too geeky for my tastes. i do like their Dead Guy Ale tho. anyone flying into seattle and driving to the gorge can take a little rogue diversion to their issaquah brewhouse -- exit #17 off i-90: http://www.rogue.com/locations-issaquah.html

another nice place further up the road to grab a beer before crossing snoqualmie pass: http://www.northbendbarandgrill.com/index.htm
order a manny's pale ale :li:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:10 am 
Supersonic

B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

God, yes.

The wife doesn't make it out to Flying Saucer often does she?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:01 am 
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

God, yes.

My wife is the young lady hanging onto my arm in the picture. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:48 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

God, yes.

My wife is the young lady hanging onto my arm in the picture. 8)

:nice:

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

lefty wrote:
I'm interested in hearing B's gameplan for RFD with such a huge selection to choose from.

I don't generally go into a location with a game plan. I mean, I could go in thinking, "I'm going for a light Hefeweizen and then I'm moving onto a heavy trappist ale." Then I'd walk in and they have a shit Hefeweizen or they focus on Czech beers and my plan is blown to shit.

When I'm in a strange town, I look for beers that are brewed locally or that are not available in my market here in NC. Even if a beer brewed near DC is available in Chapel Hill, it may not be on tap or may not be as fresh as at RFD.

Basically, I intend to take an out-of-towners recommendation from the barkeep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:50 am 
 WWW  Profile

Some other good philosophy brought over from Bammer's stupid thread.
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/vie ... sc&start=0

B wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
As long as B understands that not everyone can always afford a microbrew, he's okay in my book.

If the cost of a quality beer is breaking the bank, you're either (a) a major market distributor or (b) holding up a cardboard sign every day, in which case, drink what you can get. What's the difference between a six-pack of Sam Adams and a six-pack of Bud Light? 50 cents?

If it's not worth a buck or two for you to drink a better beer, then you're just trying to get drunk with little to no interest in taste. If that's the case, there are cheaper and more pleasant ways to do it than guzzling Beast Ice. You're just too embarrassed to buy Mad Dog or drink fruit punch with Everclear. But trust me, Milwaukee's Best and Bud Light drinkers are just as big of pussies as Mad Dog drinkers, they just usually drink in establishments where the clientelle is not yet aware of that fact.

And hell ... usually, the extra cost of a better beer also translates into higher alcohol content.

B wrote:
Bammer wrote:
I laugh in the face of said "recommendations."

I could give a fuck. I don't drink to impress anyone, especially you. I drink beer that tastes good, compliments my meal and/or surroundings, and inspires me to become a better brewer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:52 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

B just blew my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:34 am 
Devil's Advocate

bigeye21 wrote:
B wrote:
Of course, I'm suprised you can talk about Pacific Northwest w/o talking about Rogue. Gimme their Hazelnut Brown Nectar any day. God, that's good. I also like their Brutal Bitter.

rogue's good but sometimes a little too geeky for my tastes. i do like their Dead Guy Ale tho. anyone flying into seattle and driving to the gorge can take a little rogue diversion to their issaquah brewhouse -- exit #17 off i-90: http://www.rogue.com/locations-issaquah.html

Yup, a good pitstop on the way to or from the Gorge ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:36 am 
 WWW  Profile

Has anyone experienced a Unibroue Maudite from Quebec?

I listen to a beer tasting podcast and there is much debate over whether this beer is delicious, or whether is sucks fat ass. I personally like it a lot. It's a Belgian-style which, of course, are my favorites, but I was wondering if anyone else had a take on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 am 
Camden Crew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

Cal Varnsen wrote:

Quit fishing around on my webpage. :| This is serious, buster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:50 am 
Camden Crew

B wrote:
Quit fishing around on my webpage. :| This is serious, buster!

you should grow the full beard back. you looked like a real hardass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:53 am 
Spacegirl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:39 am 
 WWW  Profile

Alright, guys ... can we create a new thread for digging through my webpage? Stop derailing the beer discussion. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:51 am 
Stone's Butch

Have you encountered any New Zealand/Australian beers? I dont know how popular they are, but I have to say largely they are a whole bunch of suck.
It seems the world thinks Steinlager is our national beer, but only the homeless drink it here. Our 4% ers like Speights/Tui/Lion Red are really catered to our drink to excess culture and taste like goat piss. The only truly great one I have encountered is Monteiths Summer Ale...man it makes me dribble just thinking about it now. Got a bit of a honey feel to it and unfortunately its only a summer release so I have to wait 4 months to have my next pint.
And am I agreed with in saying Murphys is a better drop than Guiness?This was certainly my feeling when I was in Dublin, Murphys was unbeatable, although its amazing how much more drinkable Guinness was on the top of their factory looking over the town as opposed to here in my local boozer. Kilkenny= :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:55 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Have you tasted the

Its from Goose Island. Its my beer of the year. I stumbled upon it on New Years Eve and havent let go since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:44 am 
Hustler

"Steel Reserve" 8.1%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

tennisclay wrote:
Have you tasted the

Its from Goose Island. Its my beer of the year. I stumbled upon it on New Years Eve and havent let go since.

I haven't seen that beer. Probably not available this far south, but I did visit Goose Island's pub while I was in Chicago. LOVE their stuff. Highly recommend any Goose Island beers.

NewZealandJamFan wrote:
Have you encountered any New Zealand/Australian beers? I dont know how popular they are, but I have to say largely they are a whole bunch of suck.
It seems the world thinks Steinlager is our national beer, but only the homeless drink it here. Our 4% ers like Speights/Tui/Lion Red are really catered to our drink to excess culture and taste like goat piss. The only truly great one I have encountered is Monteiths Summer Ale...man it makes me dribble just thinking about it now. Got a bit of a honey feel to it and unfortunately its only a summer release so I have to wait 4 months to have my next pint.
And am I agreed with in saying Murphys is a better drop than Guiness?This was certainly my feeling when I was in Dublin, Murphys was unbeatable, although its amazing how much more drinkable Guinness was on the top of their factory looking over the town as opposed to here in my local boozer. Kilkenny=

I talked to Laura about that in DC. I've never, NEVER seen an Australian or New Zealand beer other than Fosters. I've seen very few from the South Pacific at all. Now, craft beer stores are relatively new in NC, so maybe some will come filtering in. I'll look for some Monteiths.

Stouts improve considerably out of nitrogen taps.

PJEV2003 wrote:
"Steel Reserve" 8.1%

You might as well pick up your cups of piss from the concert floor and redrink those.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 327  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining