Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 327  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:06 pm 
Unthought Known

I also always look forward to traveling to London so I can enjoy my favorite hand pumped ales......London Pride, Bombardier, Kilkenny, Greene King IPA, etc....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:15 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Ensign9 wrote:
B wrote:
Ensign9 wrote:
Saranac Caramel Porter, oddly enough, tastes kind of chocolately.

I had that for the first time this past weekend. That was a really interesting beer.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/99/902/

Where are you going in NC? There's a lot of local breweries making some interesting, new shit since we changed our ABV law.

Raleigh for a day, en route to Charleston.

The only brew pub is Southend Brewery downtown, but you can get some good NC beers. Carolina Pale Ale is stellar. I'd drink anything from Highland brewery in Asheville, especially the Gaelic. A little harder to find, but Top of the Hill brewery here in Chapel Hill started canning their IPA and lager. They're awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:15 pm 
Got Some

What are your thoughts on this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:32 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:

Stone Arrogant Bastard - This might be a tough one for someone new to craft beers, but unless you're sipping it (which I must, as a beer snob, recommend), you'll be fucked before you know it.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92/

That is a potent brew. i have tasted it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:57 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

yea Arrogant Bastard is unbelievably disgusting... I had to chase it with jim beam....

pretty funny bottle though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:38 pm 
Supersonic

I could never get into too many American micro-brews. Call me a btich, but the hops in American micro-brews have a tendency to over power the flavor of the beer. I'll stick to my European beers.

If you're into chocolate beers, but can't afford the Sam Adams Chocolate special. Try a Mackeson Triple Stout. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but it's like drinking chocolate cake. I recommend only one 12 oz. bottle per 24 hours though. Extremely filling. I used to drink one for breakfast my junior year.

I could never get into the Dogfish Head beers. They had one beer that I thought was good, but not worth buying again at the price.

About the only American micro brew that had anything I liked was Rogue and a Montana microbrew.

Nothing compares to the old Euro breweries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Mind of Meddle wrote:
What are your thoughts on this...

I'm not a huge fan of Yuengling's Lager, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of lager anyhow and very few make my "best of" lists. That being said, Yuengling's Black and Tan is a really fine beer.

Delight in our Youth wrote:
yea Arrogant Bastard is unbelievably disgusting... I had to chase it with jim beam....

You can't say they didn't try to warn you ...

Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale wrote:
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won't like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory - maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it's made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beer will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make a beer taste better. Perhaps you're mouthing the words as you read this.

LittleWing wrote:
I could never get into too many American micro-brews. Call me a btich, but the hops in American micro-brews have a tendency to over power the flavor of the beer. I'll stick to my European beers.

Well, if you don't want to go the "hoppy" direction, I'll go out on a limb and guess you'd go for some of the Irish stouts or German/Czech beers. I just came back from the Outer Banks here in NC, and I tried an Amber Lager at Weeping Radish Brewery that was modeled after German beers. It was really sweet and malty ... not hoppy at all. Dixie Brewery in New Orleans (yes, they survived Katrina) makes a really good dark, malty lager you might like.

LittleWing wrote:
About the only American micro brew that had anything I liked was Rogue and a Montana microbrew.

I can't find a "Montana Brewing Company," so I assume you can't remember the name of a microbrewery in Montana. You'll have to find out what that is, although, I've never seen a Montana beer here in North Carolina, so I probably will have to travel to find it. Rogue ... now I have a LOT of love for Rogue. Of course, to gain my respect, an American brewery's gotta really fuck around with beer (Chipotle Ale or Juniper Ale), and given that you don't really like Dogfish Head, I can only assume you don't like that. But their Shakespeare Chocolate Stout is a flagship of theirs which isn't crazy hoppy. Have you tried that one? The majority of Rogue's other beers are crazy hoppy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 pm 
Camden Crew

B's back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Since it's the weekend. I'll remind you folks that I'm also a licensed bartender. I can help pick mixed drinks too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:37 am 
Supersonic

Quote:
But their Shakespeare Chocolate Stout is a flagship of theirs which isn't crazy hoppy. - B

Funny you should mention it. I had it just the other day. I fancy it deliscious, but not as good as Mackeson, or Youngs Oatmeal Stout.

I finally got back to Beers of the World the other day. Picked up a 4 pack of Triple Karmeliet (Belgium), a Youngs Oatmeal Stout, a Young's Barleywine, a good German wheat beer from the oldest brewery on earth (long name that I can't think of how to spell at the moment), and of course, arguably my favorite, some Mackeson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:08 am 
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
a good German wheat beer from teh oldest brewery on earth (long name that I can't think of how to spell COCK teh moment),

Weihenstephaner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:37 am 
Supersonic

B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
a good German wheat beer from teh oldest brewery on earth (long name that I can't think of how to spell COCK teh moment),

Weihenstephaner

That's the one!

Deeeeeliscious.

Perfect beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:49 am 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

I'm loving the beer talk, nice to see that many of you have some good taste.

I cannot even drink "crappy" beer, some people think I am a beer snob because I refuse to drink light beers or most american lager type beers.

Some of my Favorites:

Beamish Irish Stout - they stopped importing into the US for the time being :(

Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA - IPA is my favorite style and this is the best of the bunch

Chimay Red - My favorite of the 3 beers, if it wasn't so pricey I'd drink it more, probably my favorite beer.

Victory Golden Monkey - Belgian style ale, anything by Victory is really good, one of many great breweries we are lucky to have in the area.

Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock - This one has alot going on, sweet, spicy, fruity and very strong 12% alcohol.

Sam Adams Boston Ale - My favorite of the Sam Adams brews, I don;t understand why the Lager is so widely available and the Ale is not. Both are great although I think the Boston Lager has noticeably dropped in quality over the years.

Franziskaner Hefe Weisse - I love both the regular and the dunkel, I am a big fan of wheat beer and this is the best out there IMO.

Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale - really great beer, very hoppy, this one is a party for your tongue.

Hoegaarden - great white beer, light, citrusy flavor. Has gotten very popular over the past year, starting to be a bot overpriced and trendy but still a great beer.

Paulaner Oktoberfest - I usually do not like Oktoberfest beers but this is one exception, really good, not overpowering.

Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale - Can only get it at Monk's Cafe in Philly, lets just say it tastes as if you are drinking a sweet tart. I love it but I'd say 8 out of 10 people that try it think it's a too sour.

Lindemans Framboise - Raspberry Lambic beer, really refreshing. Perfect change of pace beer. Something "fancy" to give to the ladies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

I've had the sour ale. That's a really cool beer for trying something new. It's got a distinctive taste that's not too hard to get used to.

Also, I prefer the Lindeman's Kriek. You want to try something really cool though, mix the Framboise or the Peche half and half with Blue Moon.

Better yet! Make a Half and Half (Guiness & Harps) with about a shot of the Framboise on top. It's called a Lava Lamp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:38 am 
Force of Nature

Dear Mr. B,

What do you think of our lovely mexican beers.
Just to name a few:

Tecate
Indio
Carta Blanca
Sol
XX Lager
Negra Modelo
Bohemia
Noche Buena
Pacifico
Leon

Shit, I know there's more but I cant think of them right now.
Any thoughts on these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:44 am 
 WWW  Profile

BlackFrancis wrote:
Dear Mr. Navy Bean!,

Just to name a few:

Tecate
Indio
Carta Blanca
Sol
XX Lager
Negra Modelo
Bohemia
Noche Buena
Pacifico
Leon

Any thoughts on these?

I think they're all German lagers brewed in Mexico. :P You forgot, of course, Corona, but since AB owns 51% of that company, it might actually be an American beer. I think my favorites are Negra Modelo, Bohemia, or Pacifico, they seem to have the most flavor.

However, if I'm ordering up spicy food (I know, not all Mexican food is spicy), I think a really hoppy beer matches the taste of the food a little better.

Oddly, all the beer I enjoy with Mexican (or Tex-Mex) are American brews. Victory's Hop Devil, Rogue's Brutal Bitter, or Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA will really change the way you choose a beer to go with your chicken mole.

Also, Rogue's Chipotle Ale is a fun match up with Mexican spices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:47 am 
Force of Nature

Navy Bean! wrote:
BlackFrancis wrote:
Dear Mr. Navy Bean!,

Just to name a few:

Tecate
Indio
Carta Blanca
Sol
XX Lager
Negra Modelo
Bohemia
Noche Buena
Pacifico
Leon

Any thoughts on these?

I think they're all German lagers brewed in Mexico. :P You forgot, of course, Corona, but since AB owns 51% of that company, it might actually be an American beer. I think my favorites are Negra Modelo, Bohemia, or Pacifico, they seem to have teh most flavor.

However, if I'm ordering up spicy food (I know, not all Mexican food is spicy), I think a really hoppy beer matches teh taste of teh food a little better.

Oddly, all teh beer I enjoy with Mexican (or Tex-Mex) are American brews. Victory's Hop Devil, Rogue's Brutal Bitter, or Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA will really keep teh way you choose a beer to go with your chicken mole.

Also, Rogue's Chipotle Ale is a fun match up with Mexican spices.

You're the shiznit Mr. B. !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:56 pm 
Supersonic

Navy Bean! wrote:
I've had teh sour ale. That's a really cool beer for trying something new. It's got a distinctive taste that's not too hard to get used to.

Also, I prefer teh Lindeman's Kriek. You want to try something really cool though, mix teh Framboise or teh Peche half and half with Blue Moon.

Better yet! Make a Half and Half (Guiness & Harps) with about a shot of teh Framboise on top. It's called a Lava Lamp.

Why would you waste a good Frambroise by putting it in Guinness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
Navy Bean! wrote:
I've had teh sour ale. That's a really cool beer for trying something new. It's got a distinctive taste that's not too hard to get used to.

Also, I prefer teh Lindeman's Kriek. You want to try something really cool though, mix teh Framboise or teh Peche half and half with Blue Moon.

Better yet! Make a Half and Half (Guiness & Harps) with about a shot of teh Framboise on top. It's called a Lava Lamp.

You can use the stout of your choice, but I wouldn't spend the money on an expensive stout just to mix it with other beers. It tastes just fine with Guiness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:25 pm 
a saucerful of secrets

B wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
Navy Bean! wrote:

You can use the stout of your choice, but I wouldn't spend the money on an expensive stout just to mix it with other beers. It tastes just fine with Guiness.
What you wanna do is get yourself a 24 deck of Tennant's. Tell everybody to fuck off. Try to post on flag day when your drunk . Realise you ain't capable of understandin' what's goin' on. Then get fuckin' hijacked . Boy, it sucked.

You talkin to me?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6538 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 327  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining