Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wine Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:24 pm 
Unthought Known

Mickey wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Mickey wrote:
In the past week I've had a Finca Los Maza Bonarda, a Bodega Norton Malbec, and a Hogue Cab-Merlot. All three have been :nice:

I've never seen a Norton / Malbec blend, sounds interesting. You don't see many Norton wines outside of Virginia...have you (anyone here) had a stand alone Norton?

Sorry, Norton was the vineyard.

Oh. :oops: I was wondering...Malbec/Norton kinda seemed like an odd mix, but intrigued me nonetheless.

Chrysalis, Horton, and Barrel Oak from VA have some pretty good Nortons.

http://www.snooth.com/varietal/norton/?t=descriptions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:07 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

So I'm a regular on the beer thread but I do like me some red wine. My problem is that I never remember the names of the ones I like. I've had a few that were perfect for me...but I can't seem to find them.

So here's my deal. I like those really bitter or sour tasting wines....ones where I make a face after every sip. I don't like the really fruity/watered down tasting ones. I like the smooth, middle of the road balanced ones.

I guess I'm looking for some recommendations. I had a bottle of some Red Guitar wine a few months ago that was perfect to me. I've gotten 2 more bottles since but they weren't as good, so maybe it was a different year or style.

One thing I notice with me, being a pain in the ass beer snob, is that I cannot tell a lick of difference between a "good" wine and a "meh" wine. I have had 8 dollar bottles that taste great to me, then will get a $40 bottle to try and I won't really like it. I know with beer I would hate a particular brand but later discovered I just tried a style of beer from them that I didn't like....so it's was the style not the beer.

I know I tend to like Zinfandel, Cab/Merlot blends, Sangiovese. Maybe if you guys know good ones in those styles....and have some tips?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:33 pm 
Unthought Known

jimmac24 wrote:
So I'm a regular on the beer thread but I do like me some red wine. My problem is that I never remember the names of the ones I like. I've had a few that were perfect for me...but I can't seem to find them.

So here's my deal. I like those really bitter or sour tasting wines....ones where I make a face after every sip. I don't like the really fruity/watered down tasting ones. I like the smooth, middle of the road balanced ones.

I guess I'm looking for some recommendations. I had a bottle of some Red Guitar wine a few months ago that was perfect to me. I've gotten 2 more bottles since but they weren't as good, so maybe it was a different year or style.

One thing I notice with me, being a pain in the ass beer snob, is that I cannot tell a lick of difference between a "good" wine and a "meh" wine. I have had 8 dollar bottles that taste great to me, then will get a $40 bottle to try and I won't really like it. I know with beer I would hate a particular brand but later discovered I just tried a style of beer from them that I didn't like....so it's was the style not the beer.

I know I tend to like Zinfandel, Cab/Merlot blends, Sangiovese. Maybe if you guys know good ones in those styles....and have some tips?

If you like them kinda sour / lots tannins, you may like younger wines. Like you may like a 2009 Merlot more than a 2003 one. Wines kinda get smoother with age, so if you like them wild, get them younger.

I too have had some great under $10 bottles, and some (what I thought) overrated $30+ bottles. For me, and I have no idea how to describe it, other than calling it the "cheap taste", is typically too sugary for me. Like get a bottle of Barefoot or Yellow Tail, and no matter the varietal, I just think its crap wine. I was in Total Wine the other day and told the guys I was looking for some good "2nd Bottles" that were under $10. The sales guy pointed me to some really damn good ones that were so worth the extra 2 to 4 dollars over Yellow Tail and wines like that. I have no idea of the names (I should write them down), but all that I've tried so far have been great.

Have you ever tried a Cabernet Franc? Its part of the Bordeaux family (Cab Sav, Cab Franc, Merlot, Malbec, Petite Verdot), and its pretty good as a stand alone. Actually, you may like French wines because they tend to be earthier than the more fruity California wines. Like a Red Burgundy (that's a Pinot Noir), has a different taste than a California Pinot Noir. Actually, you may like Pinots...they are light in body (heavier than a Rosé, but lighter than a Zinfandel), and big in taste. Just be careful though...a cheap Pinot (not referring to price but quality) is a terrible wine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:35 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:

If you like them kinda sour / lots tannins, you may like younger wines. Like you may like a 2009 Merlot more than a 2003 one. Wines kinda get smoother with age, so if you like them wild, get them younger.

I too have had some great under $10 bottles, and some (what I thought) overrated $30+ bottles. For me, and I have no idea how to describe it, other than calling it the "cheap taste", is typically too sugary for me. Like get a bottle of Barefoot or Yellow Tail, and no matter the varietal, I just think its crap wine. I was in Total Wine the other day and told the guys I was looking for some good "2nd Bottles" that were under $10. The sales guy pointed me to some really damn good ones that were so worth the extra 2 to 4 dollars over Yellow Tail and wines like that. I have no idea of the names (I should write them down), but all that I've tried so far have been great.

Have you ever tried a Cabernet Franc? Its part of the Bordeaux family (Cab Sav, Cab Franc, Merlot, Malbec, Petite Verdot), and its pretty good as a stand alone. Actually, you may like French wines because they tend to be earthier than the more fruity California wines. Like a Red Burgundy (that's a Pinot Noir), has a different taste than a California Pinot Noir. Actually, you may like Pinots...they are light in body (heavier than a Rosé, but lighter than a Zinfandel), and big in taste. Just be careful though...a cheap Pinot (not referring to price but quality) is a terrible wine.

I totally fucked that up....i meant I don't like the sour/bitter. I prefer the smoother mellow (but not watery) ones. Sorry about that

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm 
Unthought Known

jimmac24 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:

I totally fucked that up....i meant I don't like the sour/bitter. I prefer the smoother mellow (but not watery) ones. Sorry about that

Ah, no worries. So in that case, you may like California wines. They tend to be more fruit forward then the European counterparts. I like both.

For what it's worth, my favorite reds are Zinfandel, and Pinot Noir. I could drink Pinots everyday, and right now I'm out, so I'm definitely gonna hit up Total Wine this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

shiraz ftw.

and fill the spinnin' sky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:34 pm 
Unthought Known

likeatab wrote:
shiraz ftw.

I've tried, but I'm just not a huge fan of Shiraz / Syrah. Don't get me wrong, I like them, and have had some damn good ones, but if I had to choose between a good bottle of: Zinfandel, Syrah, Pinot Noir, or Cabernet Saviougon, I'd do Pinot Noir. A good Pinot is hard to beat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:39 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

darth_vedder wrote:
likeatab wrote:
shiraz ftw.

I've tried, but I'm just not a huge fan of Shiraz / Syrah. Don't get me wrong, I like them, and have had some damn good ones, but if I had to choose between a good bottle of: Zinfandel, Syrah, Pinot Noir, or Cabernet Saviougon, I'd do Pinot Noir. A good Pinot is hard to beat.

i really love the dryness and the full body of a good shiraz. i'm no wine expert, but almost all i buy are australian reds in the $8-$12 range. love 'em.

and fill the spinnin' sky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
likeatab wrote:
shiraz ftw.

See I have no idea what the difference is. Whats the difference between Pinot and say Zinfandel? Is it just the type of grapes? What are the flavor differences?

I can rattle off the difference between 10 beer styles and know them like the back of my hand but I know nothing about wine other than stuff like "this one tastes really good" and "I don't like the way this one tastes too fruity and watered down or something"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm 
Unthought Known

likeatab wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
likeatab wrote:
shiraz ftw.

i really love the dryness and the full body of a good shiraz. i'm no wine expert, but almost all i buy are australian reds in the $8-$12 range. love 'em.

It is good...actually, I kinda want to open a bottle of Syrah when I get home (I have two of them). One is from the Rhone valley in France. I've had more California Syrahs and Aussie / New Zealand Shiraz, but not many French ones, so I'm looking forward to it (It was $14 at Total Wine). The other bottle of Syrah I have is a fancy one from California...I'm supposed to be saving it for something special.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:20 pm 
Unthought Known

jimmac24 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
likeatab wrote:
shiraz ftw.

See I have no idea what the difference is. Whats the difference between Pinot and say Zinfandel? Is it just the type of grapes? What are the flavor differences?

I can rattle off the difference between 10 beer styles and know them like the back of my hand but I know nothing about wine other than stuff like "this one tastes really good" and "I don't like the way this one tastes too fruity and watered down or something"

Here are a few sites with some wine info:
http://wine.about.com/od/redwines/u/redwinebasics.htm
http://www.basic-wine-knowledge.com/typ ... -wine.html

Check it out, then buy a few different bottles...Like get a Zin, Pinot Noir, and Syrah and see if you can tell them apart. I have a hard time pinpointing the nuances but I think just from the body type, you'd be able to tell the difference between a Pinot and Zinfandel.

For me, Pinot Noir is a great choice, because a lot of times, I just want to drink. I don't care about the food pairing, and Pinot is a easy drinking one because it's a bit lighter bodied than other red wines. Like a Zinfandel is big. It's jammy, heavy alcohol, spicy, etc...and can be tough to drink by itself. I think it goes best with spicy red sauces like spaghetti and meatballs with a bunch of red pepper flakes.

Here is a really bad breakdown:

Merlot - Smooth, easy drinking, velvety

Cabernet Sauvigon - Big, tannic, the King of Reds.

Pinot Noir - Light / Medium bodies, soft, cherry notes, smooth, delicate. The Queen of Reds.

Zinfandel - Big / heavy body, spicy, dark fruit forward, jammy, high alcohol content.

Syrah / Shriaz - Black / Dark fruit, big bodied, black pepper, hearty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:04 pm 
Reissued

Had this the other night with my girlfriend. It was okay, but it tasted a little watery and I think I prefer the stronger tones of a Malbec.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 pm 
Supersonic

If you're getting a bottle of wine as a gift for someone - what do you stick with? I have no idea what kind of wine he and his wife drink. So it should be safe (well liked), yet still good.

I'm not a wine drinker. I would totally screw this up if I just walked in and picked up a random bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 am 
Unthought Known

uglyduckling wrote:
If you're getting a bottle of wine as a gift for someone - what do you stick with? I have no idea what kind of wine he and his wife drink. So it should be safe (well liked), yet still good.

I'm not a wine drinker. I would totally screw this up if I just walked in and picked up a random bottle.

Do you have a Total Wine or anything near you? The sales staff is really informative and helpful, and could hook you up with a solid bottle for around $15.

With it being summer and hot as hell (at least in DC), I'd think about something like a Rosė. I'm not much of a white wine guy, and from going to wineries around here (in VA), I've come around on the Rosé...A lot of them here aren't sweet like a White Zinfandel, but dry, and a mix of a Viogneir (white - about 80%), and a Cabernet Franc (red - 20%).

A Pinot Noir could be a good choice too because it's a light bodied red wine, and goes well with Fish, and Poultry, and should be served slightly chilled (about 60 degrees).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

I don't know shit about wine but I know I like white wines on the dry side.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:23 am 
Former PJ Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I don't know shit about wine but I know I like white wines on the dry side.

What a puss.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:48 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

I don't like wine at all. I'm sort of anti-wine, really.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:08 pm 
Reissued

dkfan9 wrote:

NASCAR post.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:32 pm 
Unthought Known

Mickey wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

NASCAR post.

Being anti-wine is no way to go through life. You're missing out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:11 pm 
Supersonic

darth_vedder's absolutely owning this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining