Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:13 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

Super J wrote:
conoalias wrote:
i prefer white, my wife found this very cheap brand which tastes like heaven. very smooth and creamy. and no weird aftertaste. i love it.

What's it called?

i have no fuckin' clue, my wife does the groceries most of the time. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:17 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I had 2 glasses of Teatown Merlot the other night, pretty good. I don't know if it was the right match for the poached Prawn appetizer, tableside Caesar salad (dressing made from scratch, unbelievable) Chateaubriand for two entree (also cooked tableside) and the Gingerbread Mousse dessert. Either way it was a good red. However, I prefer the night cap Lagavulin (scotch) after a dinner like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:52 pm 
Force of Nature

Sandler wrote:

Also, for those with a Trader Joe's in your area- they have a pretty decent bottle of wine for just $2.99 a bottle.

someone else told me the same exact thing, they love it. i might have to take a trip to stock up

my local liquor store has a wide variety, so when i go i tend to pick out a few bottles that catch my eye and they last for a while, or at least until i have company :wink: . i prefer red for the health reasons but i really dont discriminate too much. i am also not shy to ask for some advice from the staff either.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:33 pm 
Unthought Known

we have wine everynight for dinner...mostly bordeaux that we have collected for many years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:42 pm 
Reissued

i really like riesling... try not to drink too much, as it gets kind of sweet.

and as cheap as it is, yellow tail makes some good stuff for the price. i could drink their shiraz all night.

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

denverapolis wrote:

and as cheap as it is, yellow tail makes some good stuff for the price. i could drink their shiraz all night.

i've gotten hammed on yellow tail shiraz more than a few times...good stuff but man does it give you a bad hangover :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:00 pm 
Reissued

MF wrote:
denverapolis wrote:

i've gotten hammed on yellow tail shiraz more than a few times...good stuff but man does it give you a bad hangover :lol:

:lol:

yeah, it does not lack impurities, but what wine doesn't give you a hangover?

Soma. wrote:
In summary, you can't go wrong with Muse live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:13 pm 
Unthought Known

just goes to show how wine is so subjective...I think yellowtail might be some of the worst stuff I have ever had

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:16 pm 
Banned from the Pit

D.O.C. Chianti, and nothing else, really.

Though that McGuigan's Black Label Shiraz isn't bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

have any of you had Red Truck? it's a relatively cheap table red that's pretty good. Goes with everything.

I'm a big fan of Red Zins and Cabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:35 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

denverapolis wrote:
MF wrote:
denverapolis wrote:

:lol:

yeah, it does not lack impurities, but what wine doesn't give you a hangover?

this one gives you a special kind of hangover, a little more vicious than your run of the mill hangover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:44 pm 
Supersonic

We drink nothing but light red wines (California Pinot Noirs and Chianti). We prefer Domaine Chandon and Clos Pegase for the California Pinot Noirs (about $25) and Monsanto Chianti Classico ($20).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:43 am 
Stone's Bitch

I like Riesling

and in time I've realized its now wrapped my neck"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:26 am 
Supersonic

pinot noir

lock the thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:54 am 
Force of Nature

bgarvey44 wrote:
I like Riesling

Many of the lower and non-German Rieslings are artificially sweetened, as can be evidenced by an extreme tingling of the tongue. I bite the bullet and get a good $13 bottle of Auslese-rated German Riesling when I don't feel like spending too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:25 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Figured this was the thread to pay tribute to this man

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/06/obit.g ... index.html

U.S. wine pioneer Ernest Gallo dies at 97
• Gallo and late brother, Julio, founded E&J Gallo Winery in 1933
• They made wine for 50 cents a gallon -- half the going price
• Gallo is world's second-largest wine company by volume
BERKELEY, California (AP) -- Ernest Gallo, who parlayed $5,900 and a wine recipe from a public library into the world's largest winemaking empire, died Tuesday at his home in Modesto. He was 97.

"He passed away peacefully this afternoon surrounded by his family," said Susan Hensley, vice president of public relations for E.&J. Gallo Winery.

Gallo, who would have been 98 on March 18, was born near Modesto, a then-sleepy San Joaquin Valley town about 80 miles east of San Francisco. He and his late brother and business partner, Julio, grew up working in the vineyard owned by their immigrant father who came to America from Italy's famed winemaking region of Piedmont.

They founded the E.&J. Gallo Winery in 1933, at the end of Prohibition, when they were still mourning the murder-suicide deaths of their parents.

Using $5,900 they borrowed and a recipe from the Modesto Public Library, Ernest and Julio rented a ramshackle building, and everybody in the family pitched in to make ordinary wine for 50 cents a gallon -- half the going price. The Gallos made $30,000 the first year.

"They started with virtually zero knowledge, they started with an idea and a drive that created the family empire that still exists and dominates today," said Peter Mondavi Jr., co-proprietor of Charles Krug Winery and a member of another influential winemaking family.

It grew to become the world's largest wine company by volume, a title since taken by Constellation Brands of New York. But Gallo remains second, selling an estimated 75 million cases under more than 40 labels.

"My brother Julio and I worked to improve the quality of wines from California and to put fine wine on American dinner tables at a price people could afford," Gallo told The Modesto Bee on his 90th birthday. "We also worked to improve the reputation of California wines here and overseas."

Ernest Gallo directed sales, devised marketing strategies and kept a short leash on distribution. Julio Gallo, who died in 1993, made the wine.

Gallo was no less tough on the people who worked for him as on those he battled for business. He also demanded total loyalty from his employees. In 1986, when he learned that two longtime Gallo executives were secretly planning to buy a winery of their own, he fired them on the spot.

Gallo was a courtly man with Old World manners. But in business he was tenacious, shrewd, aggressive, and secretive. He and others of the Gallo clan shunned publicity. The reason for the secretiveness, many of their former associates said, was the way his parents had died.

Fresno County records say their father, Joseph, shot their mother, Susie, to death in June 1933, then killed himself. That was two months before the founding of the Gallo winery.

Ernest Gallo was one of the country's wealthiest men, listed on the Forbes magazine list of the 400 richest Americans with a family worth of $1.3 billion.

His company employs more than 4,600 people and markets its wines in more than 90 countries.

And the night John Lennon died
I remember I stayed up to watch the news with everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:52 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

I saw this a few minutes ago. :( Most of the wines I've drank have been Gallo brand. I might have to get a bottle this weekend in tribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I've drank my share of E&J Gallo...for cheapo wine it really isn't that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:29 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

my2hands wrote:
Sandler wrote:

Also, for those with a Trader Joe's in your area- they have a pretty decent bottle of wine for just $2.99 a bottle.

someone else told me the same exact thing, they love it. i might have to take a trip to stock up

my local liquor store has a wide variety, so when i go i tend to pick out a few bottles that catch my eye and they last for a while, or at least until i have company :wink: . i prefer red for the health reasons but i really dont discriminate too much. i am also not shy to ask for some advice from the staff either.

i have heard the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:22 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

best wine ever

http://www.sebastiani.com/wines/wines-t ... fandel.asp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining