Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining

Post subject: Re: Paleo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 pm 
Reissued

px wrote:
I think gluten is the stuff that people with Celiac disease have a hard time with. It's a wheat/ grain derived protein compound they add to processed foods that are usually low in protein.

I'm no expert on this paleo stuff, but several of my friends have lost a lot of weight and look pretty damn fabulous because of it. So I don't know what Mickey is trying to prove to me in this thread.

That it's a trendy new diet like Atkins and Southbeach before it, usually picked-up by people with little to no nutritional background to speak of, and touted as a magic cure, and that it occupies the same new age life crisis area of walking meditations and kombucha.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:16 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Mickey wrote:
px wrote:
I think gluten is the stuff that people with Celiac disease have a hard time with. It's a wheat/ grain derived protein compound they add to processed foods that are usually low in protein.

I'm no expert on this paleo stuff, but several of my friends have lost a lot of weight and look pretty damn fabulous because of it. So I don't know what Mickey is trying to prove to me in this thread.

That it's a trendy new diet like Atkins and Southbeach before it, usually picked-up by people with little to no nutritional background to speak of, and touted as a magic cure, and that it occupies the same new age life crisis area of walking meditations and kombucha.

Well, the premise is that processed foods and genetically modified foods could be causing obesity and other health complications. As someone who has been through a short and sweet nutritional school (because I developed gestational diabetes), I think there's something to it.

You can still feel that it's trendy if you like, but I don't see the harm in offering people an alternative to boxed and packaged foods.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 pm 
Reissued

px wrote:
Mickey wrote:
px wrote:

Well, the premise is that processed foods and genetically modified foods could be causing obesity and other health complications. As someone who has been through a short and sweet nutritional school (because I developed gestational diabetes), I think there's something to it.

You can still feel that it's trendy if you like, but I don't see the harm in offering people an alternative to boxed and packaged foods.

The premise is that paleolithic ancestors ate better than we did so we should copy their diet, which some see as hugely problematic (you know, copying the diet of a peoples who lived to be about 35). Avoiding boxed and packaged foods is part of that, but you can avoid boxed/packaged food without being "paleo."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 pm 
Got Some

Avoiding packaged and/or processed foods is a great idea whenever possible. (actually Paleo suggests as much "wild caught" food as possible but how the hell can a city resident do that?) If someone wants to give the diet a name what's the big deal if it works for them? No need to shit on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm 
Reissued

vegman wrote:
Avoiding packaged and/or processed foods is a great idea whenever possible. (actually Paleo suggests as much "wild caught" food as possible but how the hell can a city resident do that?) If someone wants to give the diet a name what's the big deal if it works for them? No need to shit on it.

Excuse you. This is the internet. There is every reason to shit on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:50 pm 
Got Some

Mickey wrote:
vegman wrote:

Excuse you. This is the internet. There is every reason to be a pain in the ass

FTFY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:56 pm 
Supersonic

this thread is evidently still in its anal phase

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm 
Got Some

I'm going to consult a tarot reader regarding this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I'm going to make a nut butter for my berries and call it "Tarot spread."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:57 pm 
Got Some

px wrote:
I'm going to make a nut butter for my berries

This could be taken many ways.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:37 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

vegman wrote:
px wrote:
I'm going to make a nut butter for my berries

This could be taken many ways.

Let's leave it to be taken as innocently as possible. It grosses chud out when I talk about my underpants.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:20 pm 
Reissued

What doesn't gross Chud out? Boy's got special taste.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

:lol:

Board index » Word on the Street... » Food & Dining