Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Trading

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:01 am 
Supersonic

CopperTom wrote:
NOTHINGFAN wrote:
I have a compilation tape that was made for me that I know where to get the masters from. It's a tv compilation. Here is the deal. Someone I know, taped all of these from their original broadcast (1st gen), then made 1 tape with all of the performances from the ones he collected and taped himself throughout the years (2nd gen), then, made me a copy of that tape (3rd gen). If I have this right, then my tape is a 3rd gen, if not, then my copy is a 2nd gen. Someone let me know about this.

Correction:
I have a compilation tape that was made for me that I know where to get the masters from. It's a tv compilation. Here is the deal. Someone I know, taped all of these from their original broadcast (Master), then made 1 tape with all of the performances from the ones he collected and taped himself throughout the years (1st gen), then, made me a copy of that tape (2nd gen). If I have this right, then my tape is a 3rd gen, if not, then my copy is a 2nd gen. Someone let me know about this.

Cool, so then my tape is all 2nd gen vids of the performances.

Thanks for clearing that up Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:05 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

There are quite a bit of these tapes being worked on for DVD from 1st or 2nd gens. Seems like everyone's willing to loan out tapes but there's only a few people will make sure the DVDs get done right. it's great that everyone's so generous with their tapes, but there's still a lot of work to be done after that if you want to preserve this footage.

I know there's a lot of people who don't care what gen or how the tape was converted, they just want show X on DVD now. So if that's the plan, don't read any further. otherwise i feel like it's a waste of time to make a DVD of something with a shitty VCR and an unknown gen tape if someone else is sitting on a 1st gen and will use a nice prosumer deck. and I get the impression this list is to keep people from wasting time by having 10 different people make a DVD of X from their various gen tapes.

I'll try and get some info on the tapes i know are good, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Like this TV compilation for example. the 2002 letterman I have on digital8 (no vhs gen). 2004 I have as an MPEG-2 transport stream of the digital broadcast. the SNLs we have are not from VHS either. Unplugged - well check the other thread. VMA's - i've got SVHS -> DV versions that will trump any vhs tape you've got, but there's still some comparisons to do.

All that stuff is part of a huge tv clips project that has been in the works for a long time. I know it's been mentioned here a billion times and I don't know when it will be on disc. So if you want quality, wait for that. If you need snl 92 on a DVD now, go ahead and convert your VHS tapes.

Bottom line is that there are plenty of tapes to be converted. and if you don't want to redo the same videos over and over again, start with the first gens, masters, and other gems that you probably won't ever get a better copy of. once you've put every 1st gen on DVD, go for the second gens, and then go back and convert all the masters that have surfaced since.

my two cents. do whatever you want :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:21 pm 
Got Some

I completely agree with you, Dan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:11 pm 
Force of Nature

very well said Leehro! :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:38 pm 
Got Some

Leehro,

I'm only offering my tapes up to get them in more capable hands than mine. I have no expectations or timelines. The tapes do me no good whatsoever and if they can benefit the community in any way, that would be satisfying to me. If not, I'm pitching them. There are no alterior motives on my part other than dwindling my VHS collection and helping out with a show or a clip that previously may not have surfaced. Besides, I could be dead tomorrow and my girlfriend would have no idea what to do with a Miami 92 Lollapalooza tape. :D

I have great respect for the people that have donated their skills and time to preserve, with the highest quality available, the history of Pearl Jam. I am very grateful that these people share their work with a community that appreciates it. Most of us anyways...

Now, what are you gonna do when Bluray and HDDVD come out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:58 pm 
Got Some

i think all that dan was trying to say was do not get excited thinking the vhs that you have will be done anytime soon. the priorities are given to masters, then first gen and so forth down the line. this list was meant to get a feel for who has what when the time comes to make that show. please do not toss any vhs tapes that you have. i will take all of them off of your hands and be the holder until they can be tossed or made whatever. if you would like, anyone can send me their tapes and i can transfer to mini dv and give them to the appropriate people when the time is right. i am also starting to fuck around with final cut and the like so i am hoping more authors will be there in the future as well as more tapers, lookers, and everything else involved in this process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:04 pm 
Got Some

sonicred wrote:
i think all that dan was trying to say was do not get excited thinking the vhs that you have will be done anytime soon. the priorities are given to masters, then first gen and so forth down the line. this list was meant to get a feel for who has what when the time comes to make that show. please do not toss any vhs tapes that you have. i will take all of them off of your hands and be the holder until they can be tossed or made whatever. if you would like, anyone can send me their tapes and i can transfer to mini dv and give them to the appropriate people when the time is right. i am also starting to fuck around with final cut and the like so i am hoping more authors will be there in the future as well as more tapers, lookers, and everything else involved in this process.

I understood Dan completely. I think some people definitely take the tapers, transferers, etc. for granted. I was just pointing out that I don't want to be considered one of those people. I don't care how long it takes, if my tapes can be used, you're welcome to them. I couldn't even find a vcr last night. I think I know where I may have one. That should tell you how much use VHS is to me these days. Now, what to do with the boxes of movies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:09 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

antiyou wrote:

Nothing. until there's actual high-def footage of PJ.

you could put a VHS tape on a HD-DVD, but what's the point? it's not going to look any better than it would on DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:12 pm 
Got Some

Leehro wrote:
antiyou wrote:

Nothing. until there's actual high-def footage of PJ.

you could put a VHS tape on a HD-DVD, but what's the point? it's not going to look any better than it would on DVD.

That's why you do the transfering!

What about MLP encoding for the audio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:29 pm 
Got Some

just asking nicely to please sticky this so that we always know where to look. many thanks.

bump.

Post subject: Re: VHS Tape Locator. Please Sticky.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:03 am 
Johnny Guitar

sonicred wrote:
10/04/96 : Memorial Stadium - Charlotte [delanoche 2nd gen] [jamhead64 2nd and 15 pro]

I know the taper.

Post subject: Re: VHS Tape Locator. Please Sticky.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:36 pm 
Force of Nature

UglyRedHonda wrote:
sonicred wrote:
10/04/96 : Memorial Stadium - Charlotte [delanoche 2nd gen] [jamhead64 2nd and 15 pro]

I know the taper.

will the taper lend out his master?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 pm 
Johnny Guitar

not listed but i have tv>vhs master of the singles premiere party and the dylan tribute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:13 am 
Force of Nature

I have 11-30-93 vhs listed on my site, but I just looked through my tapes and it isn't there...I could have made a mistake, or misplaced it. I have more tapes in storage that I'll have to look through.

Other than that I have 8-29-00 uknown gen
6-29-98 uknown
and I have about a compilation vhs with 8-22-92
2 of my vhs tapes have about 8 hours of footage on it full of interviews and shit like that which I got on ebay a few years ago.

I also have a tape with a Minor Threat show in it and what's titled Mother Love Bone - Earth Affair 1992

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:01 am 
Got Some

Took a look at a couple of tapes today.
Couldn't get my capture card to work so I had to take digital pictures of my tv. Didn't work so well...

Limelight & Miami 92 tape:

Limelight:

Miami: 1st angle from the photo pit

Miami: 2nd angle the guy gets up on sidestage.

The picture on the tape is a little grainy. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 3rd gen. I'm no expert and the camera makes them look worse than they are.

My pics of the Toronto 96 show didn't turn out at all. It is from the upper left side looking at the stage. It is also likely 2nd or 3rd gen but it is complete with Leaving Here and YL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:28 am 
Got Some

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:43 am 
Red Mosquito

the toronto '96 dvd that is being spread (OMN) that doesn't have leaving here & yellowledbetter .... well i got that same video source ... complete. but remembering correctly somebody here .... and others also got the same version i got ... full show & all

i won't have a clue what gen it is .... but if there would be a upgrade to the dvd version, and nobody wants to hand down their copies for making ... i'll be happy to pass it down. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:22 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

someone get a hold of this guy check out his page of vhs's
http://members.tripod.com/pa_south/videos.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:26 am 
Got Some

satanman wrote:
someone get a hold of this guy check out his page of vhs's
http://members.tripod.com/pa_south/videos.htm

done. thanks for the lead.

jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:30 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

oh your welcome

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Trading