Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Trading

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:43 pm 
Suspended

benjammin wrote:
:D :D :D

Thank you John! :worthy: Thankyou :worthy:
I'm holding my 500GB external hard drive shipped from Pearl Ave and full of PJ goodness. I can't wait to get home and take in what emanon has so graciously provided. :bammer:

Awesome!!!! :D

Thad's should have arrived yesterday, as well...I think. Steve's is due home tomorrow.

Yep, just ask Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Bee wrote:
The only thing that makes me hesitate to use my PayPal is the issue we had with the hooker

loUrna wrote:
I do enjoy spankin' it to No Code

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:48 pm 
Force of Nature

emanon wrote:
benjammin wrote:
:D :D :D

Thank you John! :worthy: Thankyou :worthy:
I'm holding my 500GB external hard drive shipped from Pearl Ave and full of PJ goodness. I can't wait to get home and take in what emanon has so graciously provided. :bammer:

Awesome!!!! :D

Thad's should have arrived yesterday, as well...I think. Steve's is due home tomorrow.

YUP!!!!!!

i was just logging on to sing the praises of john too!!!!!!!!!
this was my face last night
:shock: :shock: :shock: :naughty:

holy crap!
ive got a little treasure chest of pj yummies
:bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer: :bammer:

hopefully one of these days i can pay this guy back,
but for now,
i bet his karma bank is overflowing!!!!!

THANKS JOHN,
the hd&p master
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:26 am 
Suspended

Hopefully, Steve's drive arrived today. I forgot the tracking number at work, so I can't confrim tihs, but it was "Out For Delivery" earlier.

So...what's the deal? No one else wants to play? I'll be leaving for vacation in a week, but would love to fill some more drives when I get back.

Or maybe I need to grab another 400GB drive, and put the top 100 DVDs on it? Hmmm...... 8)

Bee wrote:
The only thing that makes me hesitate to use my PayPal is the issue we had with the hooker

loUrna wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:36 am 
Unthought Known

this is a little excessive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:37 am 
Red Mosquito

if only the shipping was cheap to send my external hd to chicago .. i'll hook ya up with all those new dvds i just got the past few weeks. guess those blu-ray dvds will be the only best way i can sent them to ya by airmail .. stay tuned. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:53 am 
Got Some

Could someone tell me how to add a hew HD to my pc? I know I have 2 drive bays open for expansion, but I've read that if you plug a new hd in it changes your drive lettering and fucks your whole system up. I'm scared to do it, but I only have a 60 gig and I could really use the space...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:17 am 
Suspended

As long as you've got an open IDE or SATA connector, it's actually pretty damn simple - you may have to set a jumper on the drive, plug it into the interface connector and power, screw it in and the hardware end is done. Assuming you're running WinXP, you use the Disk Management utlility to assign a drive letter, format the drive...and you're ready to go.

While I may have oversimplified things a bit, any retail-packaged drive will come with full installation instructions. Pretty much the only thing you need to do beforehand is verifiy the availability of a place to plug it on to your PC.

Also note that just because you've got open drive bays doesn't always mean you've got expansion capability on the motherboard...although you probably do. Older PCs typically have 2 IDE connectors, each with two chanels (each channel can support 1 device). Newer PCs will have 1 or 2 IDE connectors, and, often-times, a pair of SATA connectors.

Most likely, your existing optical drive and hard drive are each using an IDE channel, although if your PC is newer, the hard drive may be SATA. The Windows Device Manager will tell you what you've got in the way of controllers.

Bee wrote:

loUrna wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:47 am 
Got Some

I've got a primary, secondary, and VIA Bus Master IDE controller. I've got a DVDROM and a dvd burner as a master/slave on the secondary. The only other devices I have is a floppy.

I bought my pc in 2001, if that helps. I know I don't have SATA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:50 am 
Red Mosquito

cincinnati dude wrote:
I've got a primary, secondary, and VIA Bus Master IDE controller. I've got a DVDROM and a dvd burner as a master/slave on the secondary. The only other devices I have is a floppy.

if i were you .. just go for an external hd. better yet .. get a cheap internal hd .. and just buy one of those cheap external cases (to add the internal drive inside). BANG! .. no headaches .. no problems. .. carry that $%#@ where ever ya go. spread the jam. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:57 am 
Got Some

demetrios wrote:
cincinnati dude wrote:

if i were you .. just go for an external hd. better yet .. get a cheap internal hd .. and just buy one of those cheap external cases (to add the internal drive inside). BANG! .. no headaches .. no problems. .. carry that $%#@ where ever ya go. spread the jam. 8)

I've thought about that. The only problem is I don't have usb 2.0. It would take forever to transfer data.

I was in best buy today and saw a usb 2.0 pci card for 35 bucks. But I don't know if or how I could install that, either :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:02 am 
Red Mosquito

cincinnati dude wrote:
demetrios wrote:
cincinnati dude wrote:

I've thought about that. The only problem is I don't have usb 2.0. It would take forever to transfer data.

I was in best buy today and saw a usb 2.0 pci card for 35 bucks. But I don't know if or how I could install that, either :(

if ya scared to open your pc (same as me years back) just take it to your local pc repair store. they will help ya out. it's gonna cost ya a few bucks .. but you won't have to worry if anything happens .. cause you already paid to get it fixed. if you did it yourself and you don't have a clue what ya doing .. it's much saver to give your pc upgrades/repairs to the professionals .. you'll thank yourself that you did. trust me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:06 am 
Got Some

demetrios wrote:
cincinnati dude wrote:
demetrios wrote:
cincinnati dude wrote:

if ya scared to open your pc (same as me years back) just take it to your local pc repair store. they will help ya out. it's gonna cost ya a few bucks .. but you won't have to worry if anything happens .. cause you already paid to get it fixed. if you did it yourself and you don't have a clue what ya doing .. it's much saver to give your pc upgrades/repairs to the professionals .. you'll thank yourself that you did. trust me. :)

I've changed my burners and added RAM myself with no problems. I'm not scared, I just want to know what I'm doing before I actually do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:09 am 
Suspended

Sounds like you should have one IDE spot available.

And...I'd go against D's advice, and opt for internal rather than external...especially if you 're gonna want it on the ready all of the time, which is likely if you've only got 60GB. External drives are typically stored in a small enclosure, no fans, poor ventilation...and tend to fail more frequently than an internal. Oh, and the lack of USB 2.0 is the clincher.

Bee wrote:

loUrna wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:15 am 
Red Mosquito

emanon wrote:
Sounds like you should have one IDE spot available.

And...I'd go against D's advice, and opt for internal rather than external...especially if you 're gonna want it on the ready all of the time, which is likely if you've only got 60GB. External drives are typically stored in a small enclosure, no fans, poor ventilation...and tend to fail more frequently than an internal. Oh, and the lack of USB 2.0 is the clincher.

for sure. lack of the usb 2.0 .. is a killer. the new external i'm getting is fireware baby. 800Mbps transfer speed style. :li:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:12 am 
Got Some

Yeah, I really want to start fresh with a new system, but monitarily that's not an option right now.

I want to go internal.

Here's my computer. keep in mind that I reformated and installed xp pro, switched out the cd burner for a dvd burner, and maxed out the RAM:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c00009355

What kind of HD can I get? Serial ATA, Ultra ATA, Parallel, or EIDE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:17 am 
Got Some

Or if I have to go the external route, will this work with what I have?:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... pe=product

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:47 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

Since we're talking about hard drives and pc stuff, I have this old Gateway sitting here and I have been hacking away at it for months. For some reason I can't get an O/S back onto the hard drive. It was running Windows '98 and it has a P3 with 128MB of RAM. I have tried all sorts of disk wipes and bootdisks, even tried dropping in some wiped hard drives I had sitting here, but to no avail. I think the Gateway BIOS is fucking up everything I am trying to do.

Any suggestions on how to either

a- bypass the Gateway BIOS

b- get any sort of O/S on the thing and gradually bump it up to XP?

I've got tons of spare parts, but I'm wondering if maybe I should just buy a cheap motherboard on Ebay and set it up to get around the Gateway junk.

http://blog.myspace.com/hiprocks

It would be cool if you could stop by at least once to check it out, so you can at least tell me it is a big piece of crap. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:33 am 
Got Some

Easy there fellas, take it to the tech forum, you're dulling the glory of this thread :lol:
Cheers,
8)

Post subject: Here's to John!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:46 am 
Force of Nature

Well, to provide even more confirmation to John's generosity, I received my 500GB Seagate full of PJ love in the mail today!!! :D

...only problem is, I leave for the Gorge at 0430am and do not have time to install it :cry: , however, it will be just like Christmas when I get home! :li:

I am sure by now that John is well aware of my gratitude. But I have to reiterate that this was not just a simple b+p, as the recent posts have illustrated, it took his tech experience along with the generostiy and collected content...not to mention cymbal sized gonads that would make MFC(Matt Fucking Cameron) weep!

I know we all sincerely appreciate it! :worthy:

I will be tipping one to you in Washington, John. Cheers!

oh, and....I'll be one of the first in line for the dvd hd+p :wink:

Post subject: Re: Here's to John!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:15 am 
Got Some

presentense1 wrote:

I know we all sincerely appreciate it! :worthy:

I will be tipping one to you in Washington, John. Cheers!

oh, and....I'll be one of the first in line for the dvd hd+p :wink:

I'm tipping one right now....and you can get in line behind me :wink: 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam » Trading