Board index » Help Help » Technical Support




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:10 am
Posts: 10993
Gender: Male
i'm having network connectivity problems on my laptop. the issue relates to the wireless signal, because the internet works perfectly when i hook the computer to the net with an ethernet cable.

sometimes, when the computer starts, the computer has limited connectivity to the net. it recognizes the local connection, but will not connect to the web. if i restart my computer a certain number of times (this number varies from once to upwards of a dozen times), the computer will connect properly. it's a crap shoot whenever i start the computer.

so far, my solution is to never restart or turn off my computer, which is not ideal.

what is the problem?

_________________
i8pork wrote:
being on the internet is fun as hell. :comp:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:17 pm
Posts: 13551
Location: is a jerk in wyoming
Gender: Female
invalid IP address - best guess only because this is similar to wireless issues my home PC has - have you tried right clicking the icon for connectivity and selecting 'troubleshoot network issues' - depending on your operating system (Vista, Windows 7, whatever) it should try to reset the network connection and assign a valid IP address - that's how mine works anyway.

if not, you should also try turning off the modem that the wireless connection uses - leave it off for 15 seconds or so, and turning it back on again - then trying to establish a a new internet connection.

when that fails, try saying an incantation over the laptop- it's Microsoft, after all...

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
That's it. I'm going to Wyoming.
Alex wrote:
you are the human wyoming


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:10 am
Posts: 10993
Gender: Male
is this caused by porn?

_________________
i8pork wrote:
being on the internet is fun as hell. :comp:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:17 pm
Posts: 13551
Location: is a jerk in wyoming
Gender: Female
probably for you it is.

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
That's it. I'm going to Wyoming.
Alex wrote:
you are the human wyoming


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:10 am
Posts: 10993
Gender: Male
i often wonder whether the more malicious viruses accompany the more malicious videos

_________________
i8pork wrote:
being on the internet is fun as hell. :comp:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:17 pm
Posts: 13551
Location: is a jerk in wyoming
Gender: Female
define malicious

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
That's it. I'm going to Wyoming.
Alex wrote:
you are the human wyoming


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:10 am
Posts: 10993
Gender: Male
the kicking outtakes of horse hoof worship 6

_________________
i8pork wrote:
being on the internet is fun as hell. :comp:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:17 pm
Posts: 13551
Location: is a jerk in wyoming
Gender: Female
there's not a shot in hell I'm googling that

_________________
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
That's it. I'm going to Wyoming.
Alex wrote:
you are the human wyoming


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: internet connection problems
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Spacegirl
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:54 pm
Posts: 40914
malice wrote:
invalid IP address - best guess only because this is similar to wireless issues my home PC has - have you tried right clicking the icon for connectivity and selecting 'troubleshoot network issues' - depending on your operating system (Vista, Windows 7, whatever) it should try to reset the network connection and assign a valid IP address - that's how mine works anyway.

if not, you should also try turning off the modem that the wireless connection uses - leave it off for 15 seconds or so, and turning it back on again - then trying to establish a a new internet connection.

when that fails, try saying an incantation over the laptop- it's Microsoft, after all...

yeah, this. happens all the time to my laptop when my wife gets on the wifi with her kindle fire.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Help Help » Technical Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:15 pm