Board index » Help Help » Technical Support

Post subject: apple question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:05 pm 
Jim's Pal

so, i bought this 250 gig external harddrive so that i could have a place to store all of my music when i go off to school. i plan on ordered one of the macbook pros, but it'll be delivered to my dorm since i waited way too long. in any event, this is my question:

will i be able to move the music from my PC to my external and then hook up the external to the mac? in the direction, it talks about formatting the drive and whatnot, and specifically mentions ERASING the drive. any way around this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 pm 
In a van down by the river

if its brown and mushy, dont eat it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:10 pm 
Jim's Pal

Peeps wrote:

:x

Quote:
Question
Can I use a Western Digital external hard drive on both a PC and a Mac?
Answer
It is possible to use a Western Digital external hard drive on both a PC and a Mac. There are a few things to keep in mind if you want to do this.

The external drive comes preformatted with one large FAT32 partition. Windows 98SE and later should not have a problem accessing this partition.

Macs, on the other hand, can only recognize FAT32 partitions that are smaller than 128-gigabytes when viewed in the operating system. So you should create two or more FAT32 partitions that are smaller than 128-gigabytes if your drive is larger than 128-gigabytges and you plan to use it on a Mac.

If you will be using multiple partitions, create the partitions while the drive is connected to the PC. If you are planning to transfer files larger than 4GB to the drive, there will be a 4GB file size limit on both the PC and Mac if the partition is FAT 32 . This is a file system limitation and there is no way around it.

If you use a PC running Windows 2000 or XP to partition and format the external drive, keep in mind that both of those versions of Windows can only create FAT32 partitions that are 32-gigabytes or smaller. This is an operating system limitation. To delete the existing FAT32 partition on the drive and create multiple, smaller FAT32 partitions, use Disk Management in Windows 2000 or XP.

You can download and use our FAT32 Formatting utility located in our Download Library to partition and format the external hard drive as FAT32.

Please Note: The Western Digital FAT32 Formatting utility can only create a single FAT32 partition the entire size of the external hard drive.

anyone care to explain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:43 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Peeps wrote:

or if its brown and hard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:07 am 
Administrator

bullet proof wrote:
anyone care to explain?

You're going to have to basically break it up into numerous 40GB or so fat32 partitions to get it to work on both.

Post subject: Re: apple question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:28 pm 
Unthought Known

From anecdotal evidence, it would seem to me that apple computers have as many or more hardware issues than PCs. My personal experience is limited - I owned a Dell desktop for 5 years that I dumped off on my brother that still works fine and currently use an Asus laptop that I purchased in July. My girlfriend purchased an iMac in December and had issues with it shutting down from time to time. After several stops at the Mac store, they determined that her fan was malfunctioning and replaced several other components as well. My roomates Macbook pro, about a year old, recently stopped booting up, and had to be shipped off to be fixed. Does anyone have a better picture of technical issues with Macs?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:16 am 
Stone's Bitch

you have to format the external hard drive in the mac. then it'll work in both computers.

edit: i just remember you have to do that in order to transfer files larger than 4gb or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:55 pm 
Got Some

simple schoolboy wrote:
From anecdotal evidence, it would seem to me that apple computers have as many or more hardware issues than PCs. My personal experience is limited - I owned a Dell desktop for 5 years that I dumped off on my brother that still works fine and currently use an Asus laptop that I purchased in July. My girlfriend purchased an iMac in December and had issues with it shutting down from time to time. After several stops at the Mac store, they determined that her fan was malfunctioning and replaced several other components as well. My roomates Macbook pro, about a year old, recently stopped booting up, and had to be shipped off to be fixed. Does anyone have a better picture of technical issues with Macs?

i've had my iMac for about 1.5 years and have had absolutely NO issues whatsoever... as opposed to having various different issues with my previous PC's...
i'm not preaching to the choir or anything, but for me, I'm very glad i switched

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:05 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

i have a western digital mybook and have no problems going between the my PC and my Mac

Posters
DVDS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:35 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

chino wrote:
i've had my iMac for about 1.5 years and have had absolutely NO issues whatsoever... as opposed to having various different issues with my previous PC's...
i'm not preaching to the choir or anything, but for me, I'm very glad i switched

Likely any issues with your previous PCs were related to Windows, not the PC itself. If you were a web dev or software engineer you might well be highly dissapointed in your Mac, as many have come to realize.

As to the original poster's question, I would surmise that you have to partition the drive in whatever way you can on whatever OS you can before doing anything with it. I recently got a Dell laptop and had to install Linux just to wipe the HD so I could install Windows on a partition and work from there. You also might want to see if the file system on the disk is proprietary...I bought a 4GB memstick that no other OS but Windows could read...Goddamn Memorex bastards.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:54 pm 
Unthought Known

therealnod wrote:
chino wrote:

Likely any issues with your previous PCs were related to Windows, not the PC itself. If you were a web dev or software engineer you might well be highly dissapointed in your Mac, as many have come to realize.

As to the original poster's question, I would surmise that you have to partition the drive in whatever way you can on whatever OS you can before doing anything with it. I recently got a Dell laptop and had to install Linux just to wipe the HD so I could install Windows on a partition and work from there. You also might want to see if the file system on the disk is proprietary...I bought a 4GB memstick that no other OS but Windows could read...Goddamn Memorex bastards.

Have you come across any hardware issues with Macs? Do I just have friends with terrible luck?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:10 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
Have you come across any hardware issues with Macs? Do I just have friends with terrible luck?

Me? No, I don't use Macs. Macs have become rather famous for hardware/software compatibility issues...kinda why Macs peak as media darlings instead of business darlings. Mac is all slick hype.

Edit: not to start Yet Another Mac/PC war; Macs seem to be highly proficient at certain media-driven tasks, they just can't meet the more demanding task of being both affordable and widespread, not to mention ready-for-prime-time (internet-style).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:19 pm 
Unthought Known

Why on earth did they develop the mighty mouse scroll ball? Every one I've used (my girlfriend's, computer labs, etc.) gets dirty and fails to scroll down. Typically if you roll it down it still scrolls up. The suggested cleaning method is alcohol and a q-tip, but this is not sufficient. Great design my ass.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

When I used a mac I still used the standard pc style mouse.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:50 pm 
Unthought Known

cutuphalfdead wrote:
When I used a mac I still used the standard pc style mouse.

Board index » Help Help » Technical Support