Board index » Help Help » Technical Support

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: The official Opera thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:42 pm 
Administrator

So, I've been using Opera 9 for at least a month now. Anybody else liking it?

I just figured out that bit torrent is baked into the browser. How ridiculously awesome is that? I just started downloading a torrent, and the thing says 40 MB, and I was like, "oh sh..."

Post subject: Re: The official Opera thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:47 pm 
a saucerful of secrets

It looks too "nice" for my liking. #42 is also a big fan of Opera.

Have they got rid of all the bugs yet?

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:13 pm 
Administrator

brainofpea wrote:

What bugs? I haven't noticed any yet. I'm sure there are bugs on some obscure functionality, but all browsers have them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:25 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

I just figured out that bit torrent is baked into the browser. How ridiculously awesome is that? I just started downloading a torrent, and the thing says 40 MB, and I was like, "oh sh..."

i think there is a plugin for firefox that does the same thing

why should i use opera and not firefox?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:48 pm 
a saucerful of secrets

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
brainofpea wrote:

What bugs? I haven't noticed any yet. I'm sure there are bugs on some obscure functionality, but all browsers have them.
There were loads of them. To be fair, it was probably the beta version I had,

And Psycho, stick with firefox, it's quicker. There's a version of apple's Safari browser for windows around somewhere. I tried it about a month ago and it wouldn't work for me, anyhow, it's supposed to be the quickest browser around.

Oh,by the way, if you use utorrent, you might be interested in this little beauty for firefox.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/11/09 ... r-firefox/

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:57 pm 
Got Some

Actually, Opera is the fastest internet browser out there. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... alpha.html

I haven't used it since around version 9.1 (I think), but I'll probably try the next official release.

P.S. Everything I've heard about the Safari beta for Windows makes it out to be a major bug-ridden piece of crap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:59 pm 
Got Some

$úñ_DëV|L, here's a pretty cool Opera news blog that you might like to subscribe to: http://operawatch.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:11 am 
Administrator

matt00dak wrote:
Actually, Opera is the fastest internet browser out there. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... alpha.html

I haven't used it since around version 9.1 (I think), but I'll probably try the next official release.

P.S. Everything I've heard about the Safari beta for Windows makes it out to be a major bug-ridden piece of crap.

Yeah, the benchmarks I've seen have Opera absolutely creaming all other Windows browsers in performance. Not so much in Linux, although it is still faster than Firefox in Linux. (Interestingly, Firefox 2 doesn't even outperform IE7, contrary to popular belief) The memory footprint is orders of magnitude smaller than Firefox's as well, and due to the fact that hardly anybody uses Opera, it's more secure.

You could get a plugin for Firefox that does this or that, but each plugin is a larger footprint and an additional security vulnerability. Opera has these things builtin, and the entire install file is still only something like 4MB. One of the reasons I got sick of firefox is its bloat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:31 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

what is a bloat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:38 am 
Got Some

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
matt00dak wrote:

Yeah, the benchmarks I've seen have Opera absolutely creaming all other Windows browsers in performance. Not so much in Linux, although it is still faster than Firefox in Linux. (Interestingly, Firefox 2 doesn't even outperform IE7, contrary to popular belief) The memory footprint is orders of magnitude smaller than Firefox's as well, and due to the fact that hardly anybody uses Opera, it's more secure.

You could get a plugin for Firefox that does this or that, but each plugin is a larger footprint and an additional security vulnerability. Opera has these things builtin, and the entire install file is still only something like 4MB. One of the reasons I got sick of firefox is its bloat.

Yeah, I'm finally beginning to feel the strain of Firefox's little memory leaks on my computer. It routinely uses 90+ MB of RAM these days (sometimes swelling way over that -- right now it's at 110), and I only have 512. Of the boatload of improvements coming with Fx 3, I'm looking forward to its new "garbage collector" the most.

As for IE7, I cannot fucking stand that thing. Even if it were clearly the fastest, I wouldn't use it.

Edit: I had to double-check you on the size of Opera's install file because I remembered it being about twice that, but you're right: 4.7 MB. A full megabyte smaller than Fx's install file. Bravo, Opera devs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:31 am 
Administrator

matt00dak wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
matt00dak wrote:

Yeah, I'm finally beginning to feel the strain of Firefox's little memory leaks on my computer. It routinely uses 90+ MB of RAM these days (sometimes swelling way over that -- right now it's at 110), and I only have 512. Of the boatload of improvements coming with Fx 3, I'm looking forward to its new "garbage collector" the most.

As for IE7, I cannot fucking stand that thing. Even if it were clearly the fastest, I wouldn't use it.

Edit: I had to double-check you on the size of Opera's install file because I remembered it being about twice that, but you're right: 4.7 MB. A full megabyte smaller than Fx's install file. Bravo, Opera devs.

Garbage collection has a penalty too, though. They have to create a thread that does nothing but continually checks to see if there is any unreferenced memory. It'll slow it down a bit. It would be better if their developers were just more careful and learned how to use pointers correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:36 am 
Stone's Bitch

i always use Opera!! :D

Firefox and IE suck!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:06 am 
Unthought Known

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

Is this because I posted that link about Firefox bashing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:02 am 
a saucerful of secrets

Well, having downloaded the new version of opera last night, the memory usage is almost exactly the same as firefox. Between 43,000 and 50,000k. I just like firefox better having spent the last 18 months getting to know the ins and outs of it. Plus, I couldn't do without my extensions.

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:48 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

You cant beat the community and available add-ons for Firefox. If you need bare bones browser use, you might consider Opera. Although, you could pretty much use Firefox that way as well and have it runny pretty quick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:00 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Buggy wrote:
You cant beat the community and available add-ons for Firefox..

bullshit. yes you can.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:35 pm 
Got Some

I don't consider Opera to be "bare bones." It has an integrated email client, feed reader, IRC chat, bit torrent, mouse gestures, phishing protection, widgets, saving/transferring sessions, etc. I read a post sometime this year where someone began with a fresh install of Firefox and kept adding extensions to match Opera's native functionality. I want to say it took around 25 extensions, but I can't find the link right now. Obviously, not everyone wants/needs all that stuff built right into their browser, but it's definitely not bare bones.

The way I look at the browser wars, there's only one "bad guy" (IE6/7) against a bunch of "good guys" (Firefox, Opera, Safari for Mac, etc.).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:08 pm 
Administrator
 WWW  Profile

Kommienezuspadt wrote:
Buggy wrote:
You cant beat the community and available add-ons for Firefox..

bullshit. yes you can.

Prove me wrong. I can take it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:08 am 
Administrator

simple schoolboy wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

Is this because I posted that link about Firefox bashing?

Yeah, I just needed an alternative. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:09 am 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

how can i add different searchs in the search-box

like youtube

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Help Help » Technical Support