Board index » Help Help » Technical Support

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The official Opera thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:49 pm 
Got Some

The one thing that prevents me from moving totally to opera is the lack of good adblocker widget. Stopping each ad on a page with the right-click isn't exactly as efficient as adblockplus under firefix.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:34 pm 
Administrator

Walter Sobchak wrote:
The one thing that prevents me from moving totally to opera is the lack of good adblocker widget. Stopping each ad on a page with the right-click isn't exactly as efficient as adblockplus under firefix.

Why do you need to stop each ad on a page?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:51 pm 
Got Some

Because I cant stand ads. When I want information, i search for it, i dont want it to be forced in my view.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:03 pm 
Administrator

Walter Sobchak wrote:
Because I cant stand ads. When I want information, i search for it, i dont want it to be forced in my view.

Well, I don't think anybody likes ads... But would you rather pay for your information?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:34 pm 
Got Some

I dont want to pay for my informations on the web but that's the beauty of adblock, it removes everything that i dont want to see on a page.
And so that's basically those capacity that i dont find on opera that prevent me to use it as my main browser.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 pm 
a saucerful of secrets

I don't like the look of opera, I can't put my finger on it.

You talkin to me?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:37 pm 
Administrator

Walter Sobchak wrote:
I dont want to pay for my informations on the web but that's the beauty of adblock, it removes everything that i dont want to see on a page.
And so that's basically those capacity that i dont find on opera that prevent me to use it as my main browser.

I have a philosophical question... Could this be considered stealing, or is it just some other form of parasitism?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:42 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Why do you need to stop each ad on a page?

Popup ads piss me, like everyone else, off. But I have no problem ignoring an ad on the side of a page.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

I have a philosophical question... Could this be considered stealing, or is it just some other form of parasitism?

well, considering I never click on ads even if I can see them (well, I don't even see them..I am very good at selective vision), I might as well not pollute my visual field with completely useless information.
If the site gets paid per click it makes no difference, and if it get paid to just display, it makes no difference either.

By the same token, the little I watch of actual live TV, I do something else when the ads come on (like go to the loo, get a drink or jump on the computer..or even switch channel..anything but watch them).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:18 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Pegasus wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

well, considering I never click on ads even if I can see them (well, I don't even see them..I am very good at selective vision), I might as well not pollute my visual field with completely useless information.
If the site gets paid per click it makes no difference, and if it get paid to just display, it makes no difference either.

By the same token, the little I watch of actual live TV, I do something else when the ads come on (like go to the loo, get a drink or jump on the computer..or even switch channel..anything but watch them).

Yeah, if adblock is stealing then DVRing and skipping over the commercial breaks is stealing too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:58 am 
Administrator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Yeah, if adblock is stealing then DVRing and skipping over the commercial breaks is stealing too.

Not really. When you visit a website, you consume a finite amount of bandwidth. Depending on either the payment plan, it's possible that somebody is being ripped off... Say it's a pay-per-view system--if the adblock works in such a way that the view doesn't register, the owner of the site will have served data to you--which costs them money--without the expected compensation. If the hit does register, but the ad didn't actually show up, then the advertiser may have paid for an advertisement that didn't actually appear. Skipping commercials isn't quite the same, because either you paid for your bandwidth, or your receiver captured data that was being broadcast over the air, which has no bandwidth limitations.

That, and the jury is still out on the copyright issues... There have been some cases of websites completely blocking out firefox users due to the possibility of adblock, which is something I'd probably due if I noticed my firefox users clicked the ads at a considerably lower rate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:07 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

Not really. When you visit a website, you consume a finite amount of bandwidth. Depending on either the payment plan, it's possible that somebody is being ripped off... Say it's a pay-per-view system--if the adblock works in such a way that the view doesn't register, the owner of the site will have served data to you--which costs them money--without the expected compensation. If the hit does register, but the ad didn't actually show up, then the advertiser may have paid for an advertisement that didn't actually appear. Skipping commercials isn't quite the same, because either you paid for your bandwidth, or your receiver captured data that was being broadcast over the air, which has no bandwidth limitations.

That, and the jury is still out on the copyright issues... There have been some cases of websites completely blocking out firefox users due to the possibility of adblock, which is something I'd probably due if I noticed my firefox users clicked the ads at a considerably lower rate.
:poke:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

i think the Firefox users click at a considerably lower rate not just because of Adblock but because they're smarter people ;)

If sites were keeping to 1 ad/page, then we wouldn't need adblock...but getting 10 flashing displays for shit that have nothing to do with the subject of the page, that we don't need, want or even can get (as overseas), fuck'em!

Plus those ads are mostly generating more bandwidth to display than the actual content of the site they're on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:37 pm 
Administrator

Pegasus wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Pegasus wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Walter Sobchak wrote:

i think the Firefox users click at a considerably lower rate not just because of Adblock but because they're smarter people ;)

If sites were keeping to 1 ad/page, then we wouldn't need adblock...but getting 10 flashing displays for shit that have nothing to do with the subject of the page, that we don't need, want or even can get (as overseas), fuck'em!

Plus those ads are mostly generating more bandwidth to display than the actual content of the site they're on.

Well, I would argue that if there are ten flashing displays, then the site is most likely not worth visiting. :P

Also, the bandwidth for the ads usually comes from a separate site--which is why adblock even works. If I made a site that piped the ad content through the server the site is on, the content would probably not be able to be detected as advertisements.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:08 pm 
Got Some

I still dont use Opera as my main browser ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:37 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Walter Sobchak wrote:
I still dont use Opera as my main browser ! :mrgreen:

You're a fool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:08 pm 
Poney Girl

http://portal.opera.com/upgrade/

Opera 9.60

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:34 pm 
Poney Girl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:36 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Wes C. Addle wrote:

Opera 9.60

Is it worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 pm 
Administrator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Wes C. Addle wrote:

Opera 9.60

Is it worth it?

Quote:
Sites using HTTP Auth are now saved in typed history

Quote:
Opera now stops loading pages with iframes when closing the page or pressing stop

Quote:
Fixed a bug where network paths that start with \\ would not work, which in particular caused issues with sent mail when storing profiles on network drives

And the most important updates:
Quote:
Fixed an issue where specially crafted addresses could execute arbitrary code, as reported by Chris of Matasano Security; see our advisory
Java applets can no longer be used to read sensitive information, as reported by Nate McFeters; see our advisory

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Help Help » Technical Support