Board index » Help Help » Technical Support

Post subject: Re-partitioning system drive
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:04 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

OK here's the deal, hope someone can help. I have three physical hard drives on my computer, there are set up as such:

Drive 1 is a 200GB SATA drive. It has the system partition (C:) and a second partition (H:) that's mainly used for backing up my pictures and for storing larger media like downloaded videos, music recording projects, and such. The C: partition, which I'd like to make bigger, has only 1.4 GB left and the whole partition shows as just under 27GB. The H: partition is 159GB and has about 41GB of free space.

Drive 2 is 80GB, I don't believe it's a SATA drive, just IDE or whatever the standard connection is. This drive has no partitions; it is labeled as (G:Music and Media) and holds my iTunes mp3 library and photos. It has 10.8GB of free space on it.

Drive 3 is an external 1TB drive using an eSATA connection. I bought this so I'd have room to download HD content like TV shows, and to have extra space, which I now have plenty of. It has 749GB of 931 total free.

I have a copy of Partition Magic 8.0, and it has a "Resize a partition" function, however I don't know if I should move stuff off the H: partition before resizing it and C:. Or if I should use my space better. Any help/opinions are appreciated!

I sent men to their doom

Post subject: Re: Re-partitioning system drive
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:50 pm 
In a van down by the river

i use this on our server at work as it makes things so much easier cause of the mass amounts of info on it.

basically you are going to do things twice.

first pick the partitioned drive you want to take space from. i believe you just double click that partition in the top (i think it has different colors around the partition along with the size it is).

try to keep it a round number, and the apply these changes. once it is done (depending on the amount it is resizing, it can take 15 minutes or 5 hours) go to the drive you want to add space to, and click and resize it. click apply changes, your computer will once again shutdown and upon reboot, will begin resizing

Board index » Help Help » Technical Support