Board index » Help Help » Technical Support

Post subject: Nexus 7 tablet review
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 am 
Got Some

I messaged my brother this shitty little Nexus 7 review on FB. When I mention the Nexus in a post, a couple of people asked about it, so I figured I'd post the review on here.

I think the Nexus 7 is a killer device.
The screen is lovely. I work with the iPad 3 everyday and while yes, the iPad's Retina display is better than the Nexus 7, it's not better by much. The colors are vivid and text is sharp and clean. In settings you can bump up the default text size.
I get 10 hours out of the battery and I stream Pandora for my full 8-hour shift at work everyday. That's with GPS and push notifications always on. For a $250 tablet (I bought the 16gb version) with a nice, bright display, that's not bad.
The games are amazing on this thing. It's like having a mini PS3 in your hand. Whether you like shooting aliens or roleplaying games, there are plenty to choose from on the Play store. There are also a ton of kids games for the little ones.
It will come with a $25 Google Play credit, which will go really far consider most pay apps and games are no more than $3. I still have $6 left on mine and I have been downloading games like crazy.
I like the 7" form factor more than the iPad, it fits in your hand perfectly. It feels more like a mobile device than the iPad, which at times seems really bulky. It's perfect for airplane use or just some quick gaming while on break at work.
Here is the only negative I have: There is no SD card slot. Because it's limited to 16gb, it would be nice if I could just load up an SD card with movies and music and stick it in the Nexus 7. Instead, if I have a long flight and want to bring some movies, I'll have to make space on the device and connect the mini USB to my laptop and transfer the movies. An SD option would be nice.
People have complained about the lack of a rear-facing camera. I would never use it anyway, so it doesn't bother me.
Also, out of the box, Google locks the home screen to portrait mode. I actually like it that way, but there is an app that will allow you to have it in portrait or landscape mode.
Finally, there is no onboard 3G. I have a fast WiFi connection at work and at home, so I don't really need it. I can tether my cell if I need 3G in a pinch. Google will reportedly be coming out with a 3G version of the Nexus 7 in 2 months, so if that is important to you, you may want to wait.
In short, I fucking love it.

Note: The $25 Google Play promotion ends at the end of the month!

Cost: $199 for 8gb; $249 for 16gb

Specs: 7" 1280×800 pixel 216 ppi IPS display, Corning glass, weighs 340 grams, features front-facing 1.2 megapixels camera, 4325mAh batter, microUSB port, NFC (Android Beam), 1GB RAM, microphone, GPS, WiFi, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and quad-core Tegra 3 processor

Board index » Help Help » Technical Support