Board index » Help Help » Technical Support




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
Okay guys, so I have this Acer laptop. My problem is this: the " and @ keys are swapped from where they should be, ie: pressing shift+2 brings up " (when it should do @) and vice versa.

I can't fix it. I've Google'd repeatedly and only found answers that tell me to swap the keyboard layout from US to UK: NO DICE. It's already set to UK and no amount of fiddling with it has made any difference.

Help. Or, should I say, @help@.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
Hold up. Shift+2 is " in Commonwealth countries!?!? That's absurd.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Hold up. Shift+2 is " in Commonwealth countries!?!? That's absurd.

Only on my wacky laptop.

(Read again.)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
Red Mosquito, my libido
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:02 am
Posts: 91597
Location: Sector 7-G
spenno wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Hold up. Shift+2 is " in Commonwealth countries!?!? That's absurd.

Only on my wacky laptop.

(Read again.)

It sounded like your whacky configuration was assumed to be the standard US configuration.

_________________
It takes a big man to make a threat on the internet.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spenno wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Hold up. Shift+2 is " in Commonwealth countries!?!? That's absurd.

Only on my wacky laptop.

(Read again.)

It sounded like your whacky configuration was assumed to be the standard US configuration.

That's what I've been seemingly led to believe when I Google'd my problem - "toggle it to UK from US, that'll fix it!" - NOPE.

It's just...weird.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
On the bright side
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 17495
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
Gender: Male
I just assumed keyboards in the southern hemisphere ran on the ytrewq system.

_________________
I remember thinking, "that's really gay". -- Cameronia


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fuck Sharks
 Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:14 am
Posts: 3642
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Gender: Male
Like.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
Guys, it's not doing it now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
On the bright side
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 17495
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
Gender: Male
spenno wrote:
Guys, it's not doing it now.

Perhaps you just had to reboot?

_________________
I remember thinking, "that's really gay". -- Cameronia


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
Rebar wrote:
spenno wrote:
Guys, it's not doing it now.

Perhaps you just had to reboot?

Sometimes we all need to reboot, Rebar.

Nah, it's not that. I've rebooted plenty of times.

You know how I said I was toggling it between US and UK and it wouldn't change? Well, this time I was doing it and it worked. I swear I've done it before, even today, with no success - but now this thing wants to play ball, so.

Is 11:30pm too late to eat a cupcake?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
On the bright side
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 17495
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
Gender: Male
spenno wrote:
Rebar wrote:
spenno wrote:
Guys, it's not doing it now.

Perhaps you just had to reboot?

Sometimes we all need to reboot, Rebar.

Nah, it's not that. I've rebooted plenty of times.

You know how I said I was toggling it between US and UK and it wouldn't change? Well, this time I was doing it and it worked. I swear I've done it before, even today, with no success - but now this thing wants to play ball, so.

Is 11:30pm too late to eat a cupcake?

cupcakes are universal, my friend.

_________________
I remember thinking, "that's really gay". -- Cameronia


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Master of Meh
 Profile

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 11:00 pm
Posts: 13226
Location: Adelaide, AUS
You know what?

I don't really feel like it.

I just want to eat it because it's there.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Potentially stupid Windows question.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
On the bright side
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 17495
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
Gender: Male
spenno wrote:
You know what?

I don't really feel like it.

I just want to eat it because it's there.

That's a slippery slope...

_________________
I remember thinking, "that's really gay". -- Cameronia


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Help Help » Technical Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:27 am