Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:29 pm 
Force of Nature

rapscallionyouth wrote:
hmmm...

that motherfucker killed a lot of people...

how can Michael Moore make money with this?

:shock: awfully true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 pm 
Supersonic

a serious question, not to sound like a dick

but why did not one person try to stand up to him..i realize he had a gun and all, but he couldnt watch everyone in a building at one time..did anyone go down fighting??

dvds -> http://db.etree.org/lukinman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:42 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

this wiki article is compiled of all sorts of newsources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shootings

timeline:

* 7:15 a.m.: A 9-1-1 call to Virginia Tech Police reports a shooting at West Ambler Johnston Hall, leaving one person dead and another wounded.[18][19]
* 9:00 a.m.: Shooter opens fire in classroom in Norris Hall, an engineering building.[18]
* 9:26 a.m.: Emails go out to campus staff and faculty saying there has been a shooting on campus.[4]
* 9:50 a.m.: An email announcing "A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows" [sic] is sent to all Virginia Tech email addresses.
* 10:52 a.m.: Follow up email goes to VTech campus regarding shooting
* 12:00 p.m.: At a press conference, authorities said there may have been more than 21 people killed and 28 injured.[20]
* 2:30 p.m.: AP reports at least 31 killed, including gunman.
* 3:40 p.m.: Virginia Tech confirms 22 dead.
* 4:01 p.m.: President Bush speaks from the White House regarding the shooting.[21]
* 4:40 p.m.: The school holds a press conference with updates on the day's events.[1]
* 4:42 p.m: Virginia Tech confirms 33 dead.[1]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 pm 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm just waiting for everyone to blame this on video games and the media. :?

I guess I'm the first person in this thread to say these 2 words: gun laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

I can't believe the email thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:45 pm 
Of Counsel

i got bugs wrote:

but why did not one person try to stand up to him..i realize he had a gun and all, but he couldnt watch everyone in a building at one time..did anyone go down fighting??

In defense, I heard the interview with that Trey Perkins guy mentioned on the last page, and apparently he and a couple ofther guys in his class, after the shooter shot two people in his classroom, closed the door and blocked the shooter's reentry with their feet on the door. He shot 5 bullets through the door trying to get back in, but failed and moved on.

That seems a pretty heroic act to me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18139889/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:51 pm 
Supersonic

punkdavid wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

In defense, I heard the interview with that Trey Perkins guy mentioned on the last page, and apparently he and a couple ofther guys in his class, after the shooter shot two people in his classroom, closed the door and blocked the shooter's reentry with their feet on the door. He shot 5 bullets through the door trying to get back in, but failed and moved on.

true..what made me post that was that i heard that he lined up a class and did like a mass execution thing..fuck, its diffferent if i was in the situation and all, but i if i knew he was eventually gonna shoot me, id run at the fucker, i may die in the process, but i was goin anyway..fuck it..if i got to him, maybe others would live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 pm 
AnalLog

i got bugs wrote:

i was thinking the same thing. i guess at the time you look at it like i either jump out the window and risk breaking a leg, or attack this dude w/ a bat and risk getting killed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

broken iris wrote:

Jesus.

Sad day for humanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:56 pm 

i got bugs wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

true..what made me post that was that i heard that he lined up a class and did like a mass execution thing..fuck, its diffferent if i was in the situation and all, but i if i knew he was eventually gonna shoot me, id run at the fucker, i may die in the process, but i was goin anyway..fuck it..if i got to him, maybe others would live

i admire your heroic philosophy, and i'd say the same thing. however i've never been in a shootout and have no idea how and if i would react, i'd probably freeze. there are probably very few people who could actually do something in the heat of the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:01 pm 

mowbs wrote:
broken iris wrote:

Jesus.

Sad day for humanity.

i totally missed that story as well. sad day indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:08 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

I always wondered how more people aren't killed in these sort of incidents. This dude really had his shit together when it came to this.

That said, holy shit. How the fuck does someome bring themselves to do this.

What is gonna be annoying is the inevitable blame and law suits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 pm 
Supersonic

warehouse wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

i was thinking the same thing. i guess at the time you look at it like i either jump out the window and risk breaking a leg, or attack this dude w/ a bat and risk getting killed.

conoalias wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

i admire your heroic philosophy, and i'd say the same thing. however i've never been in a shootout and have no idea how and if i would react, i'd probably freeze. there are probably very few people who could actually do something in the heat of the moment.

yeah i know me too

its just id think at least one person wouldve been nuts enough to say "fuck it"

i thought the same thing when 9/11 happened, and i was like outta 200 on the plane, there was only a couple of them..why not gang em and kick the shit outta them??

right now i guess im pissed and i feel like goin after them, bt in the situation who knows how we'd all react

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:44 pm 
Supersonic

i got bugs wrote:
warehouse wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

conoalias wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

yeah i know me too

i thought the same thing when 9/11 happened, and i was like outta 200 on the plane, there was only a couple of them..why not gang em and kick the shit outta them??

right now i guess im pissed and i feel like goin after them, bt in the situation who knows how we'd all react

because usually in hijacked plane situations, the passengers are held hostage for some kind of political reason and are used as a bartering tool, they're not usually flown into buildings or killed.

maybe the kids in these classrooms, before the shooting started, were so terrified they thought it would be best to go along and make the kid happy in the hopes he wouldn't kill anyone. after the shooting started i'm sure it was complete pandemonium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:49 pm 
Force of Nature

i have a lot of friends and family at tech, i havnt heard from all of them but i hope to god that they are all safe and doing ok... both of my parents went there, my brother in law went there, i almost went there... i go to a lot of football games there... its just devistating to hear that someone could be so senseless... my heart goes out to all of those who have lost a friend or family member...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:55 pm 
Force of Nature

from reuters.com

Quote:
A U.S. Department of Homeland Security spokesman said there was no indication of terrorism but that it would be part of the investigation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... geNumber=1

do you think that if it had being terrorism related, police had responded more quiclky or efficiently??

it just hurts me the two hour delay on the warning. i'm trying to understand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 pm 
Got Some

:( this is aweful

Post subject: Re: Virginia Tech shooting
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:04 pm 
Of Counsel

warehouse wrote:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/04/reports_of_shoo.html

i hope flavdave is ok

I hope he doesn't take engineering classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:06 pm 
Administrator

vatna wrote:
ledbetter10 wrote:
vatna wrote:
conoalias wrote:
vatna wrote:
invention wrote:

"Email warning came two hours after first shooting"

i don't understand :shock: you have to take off your shoes to get in a plane, but some guy is wandering round a 26000 students campus with a gun like it's popcorn... :shock:

this is America baby.

yeah...well. dunno what to say. i'm sorry for america

just read this on CNN.com

Asked why the campus, which has more than 26,000 students, was not shut down after the first shooting, Flinchum responded that police received information that "it was an isolated event to that building and the decision was made not to cancel classes at that time."

Steger added, "We had some reason to believe the shooter had left campus."

an isolated event? they thought this guy left campus? wouldn't you at least notify the professors or have campus safety sweep all the buildings or something? i'm sure this blindsided officials at VT - but it sounds like someone fumbled big time and saying "we had reason to believe the shooter left" sounds like a statement to cover someone's ass

i agree. some jerk didn't do his/her job, and now you have 30 students dead.

Sorry, but the shooter is at fault, not whoever decided not to cancel classes. Isolated shootings happen quite often, and this wouldn't have been a front-page story had there not been a rampage two hours later. I think it is perfectly reasonable to believe that somebody who has just shot somebody would try to get as far away from the place as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_agent

The basic principle is that a rational agent makes decisions based on its history of percepts, its current environment (which may be fully observed or partially observed), the input from its sensors, and its goal. In this case, it's obvious that the environment is only partially observable (with the only pertinent piece of information being that their was a shooting), the percept history is similar past events, and the goal being to maximize safety while allowing for continued education. It's really hard to say, given the scope of the information they had, that they made an irrational decision, as had they decided to cancel classes, the same outcome could have occurred the next day, or whenever they did decide to hold classes again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:06 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

invention wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
warehouse wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

conoalias wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

yeah i know me too

because usually in hijacked plane situations, the passengers are held hostage for some kind of political reason and are used as a bartering tool, they're not usually flown into buildings or killed.

maybe the kids in these classrooms, before the shooting started, were so terrified they thought it would be best to go along and make the kid happy in the hopes he wouldn't kill anyone. after the shooting started i'm sure it was complete pandemonium.[/quote

i thought the same thing as i got bugs - why didn't someone just attack the guy - but in the heat of the moment, 99% of people would just freeze and be in shock, it would be so surreal to see something like that happening in front of your own eyes

it's that 1% who might actually go after the guy, but the rest of us? we'll be sitting there with our mouths open and panicking and trying to figure out what the heck is going on - total mindblow

:(

still can't believe how much this is on my mind today...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate