Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rush Limbaugh Op-Ed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:33 am 
Of Counsel

Peeps wrote:
glorified_version wrote:
Limbaugh is genuinely disturbed and probably has an unhappy personal life. The shoe does fit and they're wearing it.

the same could very easily be said of you, pd and meatwad, so you should probably tread carefully

Except you'd be wrong about me and Ara. Don't know about gv. :P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:17 am 
Former PJ Drummer

:comp:

:finger:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 am 
In a van down by the river

meatwad wrote:
Peeps wrote:
glorified_version wrote:
Limbaugh is genuinely disturbed and probably has an unhappy personal life. The shoe does fit and they're wearing it.

the same could very easily be said of you, pd and meatwad, so you should probably tread carefully

You really don't know fuck-all about me, despite what you may think.

youer right, i can only go by what you 3 post on here, much like you guys judge rush on what he says on a radio station that he makes money off of. kinda sucks to be judged huh?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 am 
Former PJ Drummer

wait are you really comparing us to Rush Limbaugh?? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

:nice:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:43 am 

well each of you are druggies and all come across as idiots, its a good start

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Peeps wrote:

wait how are we "genuinely disturbed"? Answer the question thoroughly, please.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Rush Limbaugh might be a just fine person. That does not make his ideas any more true.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:52 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Rush Limbaugh might be a just fine person. That does not make his ideas any more true.

I think he suffers a lot from the Pygmalion Effect. He may not entirely believe everything he spews, but it is expected for him to do this, so he does it and he has made a career out of being an opinionated asshole. Either way, he should hold little to no influence on any rational person's beliefs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 am 
Of Counsel

Mecca wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

I think he suffers a lot from the Pygmalion Effect. He may not entirely believe everything he spews, but it is expected for him to do this, so he does it and he has made a career out of being an opinionated asshole. Either way, he should hold little to no influence on any rational person's beliefs.

Is it better to spew what Rush spews out of true belief or simply as an act for money?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

punkdavid wrote:
Mecca wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

Is it better to spew what Rush spews out of true belief or simply as an act for money?

act for money by far. Being that much of a contrarian out of true belief is a sad existence; selling out is as bad as people make it out to be

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm 

glorified_version wrote:
Peeps wrote:

wait how are we "genuinely disturbed"? Answer the question thoroughly, please.

if you three can not see you are as intolerant towards people who do not share your idea(ls) of what is right and wrong as they are intolerant of your idea(ls) then i can't help you much

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:26 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Mecca wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

I can see this. Which is why the original article can hold true, even if it wasn't written by him. It explains his drug addiction.
It's the irrational people we need to worry about! I suppose though, people like Limbaugh are just saying the things that people are already thinking themselves anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
Of Counsel

I have a friend who suggested I join a FB group called "People should have to pass a drug test to get welfare" or something like that. Now apart from the relative merits of such an idea, which tend to fail miserably from a cost-benefit analysis, it's an idea that is historically rooted in racism, whether that is what brought my friend or anyone else to it or not.

So, if you're advocating an idea that is agreed with whole-heartedly by the KKK, that in itself should cause you to stop and seriously rethink your advocacy on that subject. You might recall the South Park episode about the town's flag (based on the Confederate flag controversy), and how Jimbo had pause when the Klan showed up to defend the "heritage" of the flag.

"Rush Limbaugh's character" is not unlike "the Klan", if you can see where I'm going with this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 pm 

rush also believes that you should breathe in order to survive......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:36 pm 
Of Counsel

Peeps wrote:
rush also believes that you should breathe in order to survive......

You can try all you want to bait me, but I'm not biting on this one. Dig your own grave.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:36 pm 
Stone's Bitch

punkdavid wrote:
I have a friend who suggested I join a FB group called "People should have to pass a drug test to get welfare" or something like that. Now apart from the relative merits of such an idea, which tend to fail miserably from a cost-benefit analysis, it's an idea that is historically rooted in racism, whether that is what brought my friend or anyone else to it or not.

So, if you're advocating an idea that is agreed with whole-heartedly by the KKK, that in itself should cause you to stop and seriously rethink your advocacy on that subject. You might recall the South Park episode about the town's flag (based on the Confederate flag controversy), and how Jimbo had pause when the Klan showed up to defend the "heritage" of the flag.

"Rush Limbaugh's character" is not unlike "the Klan", if you can see where I'm going with this.

Cost effectiveness and rationality aside, can you explain to me how this concept is "historically rooted" in racism? Are you suggesting that the KKK's endorsement of this automatically makes it a racist concept?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:49 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Cpt. Murphy wrote:
punkdavid wrote:

Cost effectiveness and rationality aside, can you explain to me how this concept is "historically rooted" in racism? Are you suggesting that the KKK's endorsement of this automatically makes it a racist concept?
I think he's trying to nicely stereotype african-americans as druggies. So implementing a policy that wants people to live by existing drug laws in order to receive welfare is more punitive to african-americans and hence racist. PD has the same typpe issue with some diseases that predominantly attack one ethnic community more than they do others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:52 pm 
Of Counsel

Cpt. Murphy wrote:
punkdavid wrote:

We've been through this sort of thing many times in other threads, and I don't want to fill up this thread with it, but the entire Republican "Southern Strategy" of the 1960's-present was an effort to split the traditionally Democratic southern white working class to the Republican Party by using the wedge of racial resentment over the Civil Rights Act and other Johnson era social programs that were seen by those people as primarily benefiting urban blacks in Northern cities. Every negative stereotype of urban blacks was cultivated by the powerful interests in the GOP to grow the party among working class whites, especially in the South, and such images as the "welfare queen who drives a Cadillac" were born. NOBODY ever envisions that "welfare queen" as being anything but a black woman, now do they? Also associated with this whole line of racial politics was the idea that all urban blacks are on drugs, especially crack, which as we all know has far stiffer criminal penalties than powder cocaine because crack is what black people use, as opposed to the powder that rich white people prefer.

This is where this idea emanates from. This is right out of the Lee Atwater school of politics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I can see where you're going with this, pd. The 'mindset of hatefulness.' It's the "there's a place in hell for that guy" method of thinking. At least in that article the envisioned Rush Limbaugh KNOWS there's also a place in hell for him too.

Rather than consciously concentrate on fostering an environment where people can get some help pulling themselves up out of unemployment and poverty, some would rather pass a law to simply cut them off without throwing them a life preserver. Throw the baby out with the bath water kind of stuff, and then blame the entire group of people for being 'lazy' to justify the lack of support. There are people on welfare taht shouldn't be doing drugs or drinking heavily in order to numb their minds to temporarily avoid their dire situation. Some people can handle their medication and some people can't. Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, etc.

I've never listened to Rush Limbaugh's program because I cant stand the sound of his voice. I'm sure there would be some issues he talks about that I would agree with him on; some but not all. That being said, I'll reiterate that I don't listen to him because the snippets of audio I've heard in the past make me cringe because of the sound of his voice. He's seems too "high blood pressure" for me. People are less agreeable if someone is constantly railing at them over idealistic points of view.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:54 pm 
statistically insignificant

Cpt. Murphy wrote:
punkdavid wrote:

Cost-benefit analysis aside, advocating for any policy that encourages personal responsibility and/or accountability seems to always be painted as racist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate