Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apparently people care...the ongoing saga of the US Economy!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:55 pm 
statistically insignificant

dkfan9 wrote:

Bloomberg wrote:
Paulson is now a distinguished senior fellow at the University of Chicago, where he’s starting the Paulson Institute, a think tank focused on U.S.-Chinese relations.

My favorite part of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

So we'll learn about the early leak of today's news around 2014?

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

thodoks wrote:
I'm 100% confident that things have changed now that Tim Geithner is in control, though.

haha yeah i thought the same thing

thodoks wrote:
Bloomberg wrote:
Paulson is now a distinguished senior fellow at the University of Chicago, where he’s starting the Paulson Institute, a think tank focused on U.S.-Chinese relations.

I'm just happy that sentence got its own sub-heading

Anyway, my favorite part:
Quote:
Another person in attendance: Michele Davis, then-assistant secretary for public affairs at the Treasury Department, who now represents Paulson as a managing partner at public relations firm Brunswick Group Inc. In an e-mail response to Bloomberg Markets, she referred all questions to Paulson’s book on the financial crisis, “On the Brink” (Business Plus, 2010), which makes no mention of the Eton Park meeting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:17 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Owl_Farmer wrote:
So we'll learn about the early leak of today's news around 2014?

2060 seems more likely

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:24 pm 

dkfan9 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
I'm 100% confident that things have changed now that Tim Geithner is in control, though.

haha yeah i thought the same thing

thodoks wrote:
Bloomberg wrote:

I'm just happy that sentence got its own sub-heading

Anyway, my favorite part:
Quote:
Another person in attendance: Michele Davis, then-assistant secretary for public affairs at the Treasury Department, who now represents Paulson as a managing partner at public relations firm Brunswick Group Inc. In an e-mail response to Bloomberg Markets, she referred all questions to Paulson’s book on the financial crisis, “On the Brink” (Business Plus, 2010), which makes no mention of the Eton Park meeting.

Hahaha, yeah.

Also, it's tougher and tougher for me to dismiss conspiracy theories of a global currency as crazy given that nearly a dozen of the world's largest central banks just coordinated on these currency facilities. Pretty sure they're working on some kind of SDR or something behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:05 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

thodoks wrote:
Also, it's tougher and tougher for me to dismiss conspiracy theories of a global currency as crazy given that nearly a dozen of the world's largest central banks just coordinated on these currency facilities. Pretty sure they're working on some kind of SDR or something behind the scenes.

I don't know. I think it's fairly plausible that they see saving the euro as imperative to maintaining stability in the world economy, and see coordinated action as the only way to do it. I would also be somewhat surprised if the US got behind such a move, if only because the USD's role as reserve and vehicle currency seems to help protect US debt from markets in ways euro countries aren't protected. Of course, there are downsides to its role, too.

But even if the US were to endorse an international currency, I assume it would only act as a vehicle currency, or something to maintain reserves in, not as any national currency. Or do you see it differently? If policymakers are learning something from the euro crisis, it's probably along the lines of fiscally independent (and economically non-integrated) entities needing monetary independence.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:12 pm 
Supersonic

Any chance someone could give me a run down on the actual mechanics on how this European Bailout worked? Are there any actual concrete numbers about who is contributing what? I've heard very little about it, and all the articles I read are pretty vague.

I guess the question I'm confused the most about is... why did they need America as a middle man? Couldn't China just lend them the money directly?

This just seems frighteningly stupid, unethical, irresponsible, and quite frankly dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:15 pm 
Unthought Known

LittleWing wrote:
This just seems frighteningly stupid, unethical, irresponsible, and quite frankly dangerous.

well yeah its what they do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:28 pm 
Supersonic

bmacsmith wrote:
LittleWing wrote:

well yeah its what they do.

I just don't understand how the fuck the federal reserve can possibly have the power or authority to put the citizenry on the hook for another continents debts.

I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND. Well, I mean, I do, I just don't understand how this happens. It's pretty clear to me that if this was a good investment that China wouldn't be using America as a middle man and they'd just directly lend to Europe on their own.

Somewhere a Chinese Financial Officer is laughing his ass off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:32 pm 

LittleWing wrote:
I guess the question I'm confused the most about is... why did they need America as a middle man? Couldn't China just lend them the money directly?

America was the middle man because the dollar is the world's reserve currency, and as such comprises the bottom of the inverted pyramid from which all other instruments - regardless of the currency in which they are denominated - are leveraged. The European crisis has put intense pressure on insolvent European institutions, and counterparties are demanding redemption...in dollars (nearly all short-term positions - regardless of the country in which some firm is located - are reckoned in dollars). Hence, a dollar funding crisis. Enter: Fed. Exit: Sanity.

http://www.bis.org/publ/work291.pdf?noframes=1

BIS wrote:
Among the policy responses to the global financial crisis, the international provision of US dollars via central bank swap lines stands out. This paper studies the build-up of stresses on banks’ balance sheets that led to this coordinated policy response. Using the BIS international banking statistics, we reconstruct the worldwide consolidated balance sheets of the major national banking systems. This allows us to investigate the structure of banks’ global operations across their offices in various countries, shedding light on how their international asset positions are funded across currencies and counterparties. The analysis first highlights why a country’s “national balance sheet”, a residency-based measure, can be a misleading guide to where the vulnerabilities faced by that country’s national banking system (or residents) lie. It then focuses on banking systems’ consolidated balance sheets, and shows how the growth (since 2000) in European and Japanese banks’ US dollar assets produced structural US dollar funding requirements, setting the stage for the dollar shortage when interbank and swap markets became impaired.

Last edited by thodoks on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:33 pm 
Unthought Known

well, if you were to sit down and have a beer with Timmy G. he would say it's to ease strains in financial markets and thereby mitigate the effects of such strains on the supply of credit to households and businesses and so help foster economic activity...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:36 pm 

Doug RR wrote:
well, if you were to sit down and have a beer with Timmy G. he would say it's to ease strains in financial markets and thereby mitigate the effects of such strains on the supply of credit to households and businesses and so help foster economic activity...

In other words, he and his ilk continue to treat a solvency crisis like it's a liquidity crisis. They continue to solve the wrong problem because they know that solving the right one would require an enormous economic contraction.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
Doug RR wrote:

In other words, he and his ilk continue to treat a solvency crisis like it's a liquidity crisis. They continue to solve the wrong problem because they know that solving the right one would require an enormous economic contraction.

exactly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 pm 

The scariest thing is that they're pretty much completely out of ammo - aside from raw monetization - at this point. What happens at the end of the half-life of this bailout? What happens when Japan's carrying costs rise? What happens when America's carrying costs rise?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
The scariest thing is that they're pretty much completely out of ammo - aside from raw monetization - at this point. What happens at the end of the half-life of this bailout? What happens when Japan's carrying costs rise? What happens when America's carrying costs rise?

I talked to a contractor the other day about building a moat around my house..seemed like a good idea at the time but at the beach there is too much fear that the ground can erode or become soft and your foundation may sink, shift, or crack. Something that costs massive amounts of money to fix. Also, think about the effort to clean it and remove the sharks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
Any chance someone could give me a run down on the actual mechanics on how this European Bailout worked? Are there any actual concrete numbers about who is contributing what? I've heard very little about it, and all the articles I read are pretty vague.

These two articles seem to provide pretty good rundowns (for someone like me, at least, who's not especially knowledgeable on currency swaps).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/ ... XT20111130
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 0UQVI9.DTL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:49 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

oh wait, thodoks beat me to it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 pm 

No, those were good articles, dkfan9.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:58 pm 
Unthought Known

my favorite part about the sfgate page was on the right side telling me that Barry Zito is engaged

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 am 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414 ... 431  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate