Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 12393
thodoks wrote:
when it comes to society's most complex and intractable problems, i turn to journalists for solutions


Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
statistically insignificant
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm
Posts: 25134
McParadigm wrote:
thodoks wrote:
when it comes to society's most complex and intractable problems, i turn to journalists for solutions


Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

_________________
Fortuna69 wrote:
I will continue to not understand


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:49 pm
Posts: 9495
Location: Richie-Richville, Maryland
thodoks wrote:
Image


Is that Hurt Locker and the gay guy from Sex in the City?

_________________
you get a lifetime, that's it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:10 am
Posts: 10993
Gender: Male
jesus fuck

_________________
i8pork wrote:
being on the internet is fun as hell. :comp:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
On the bright side
 Profile

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:42 pm
Posts: 17495
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
Gender: Male
where's LittleWing?

_________________
I remember thinking, "that's really gay". -- Cameronia


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
Spacegirl
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:54 pm
Posts: 40914
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
Got Some
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:47 pm
Posts: 2932
People die all the time.

Cancer, heart disease, AIDS, drone strikes, gun violence.

whatever.

_________________
For your sake
I hope heaven and hell
are really there
but I wouldn't hold my breath


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:49 pm
Posts: 9495
Location: Richie-Richville, Maryland
Man in Black wrote:
People die all the time.


Professional athletes aren't people. They are our 'betters' and things like this shouldn't happen to them.

_________________
you get a lifetime, that's it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 12393
Man in Black wrote:
People die all the time.

Cancer, heart disease, AIDS, drone strikes, gun violence.

whatever.


Yeah. How have we not banned cancer yet? As a people, we are just not all that with it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Administrator
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:53 pm
Posts: 20537
Location: The City Of Trees
That OJ pic was hilarious. :thumbsup:

Anyway, Costas just doubled down:

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/12/04/ccostas- ... situation/

I actually agree with him on the essence of the gun culture problem.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
The NFL players union should be discussing this openly.

Having a constituancy that relies almost entirely on violence to further their career having arsenals at home when quite possibly the lot of them are suffering from head trauma is probably not a good formula for society.

At the same time the Redskins Sean Taylor perhaps ironically lost his life, because he abided by the law and brought a knife to a gun fight in his home.

It's a difficult social topic no doubt, but I don't think the majority of the American public is so irresponsible or violent that they should not be able to own handguns just because of a few lunatics.

I'll agree with Costas when he wants to have a dialog about America's gun culture. I disagree vehemently that gun availabilty is the problem. Judgement and lack of coping skills and abusing alcohol/drugs.... living a violent career driven lifestyle AND buying a shit load of guns are the problem. The problem is with culture, not with guns.

We never address the root problem which is culture that leads to domestic violence.

"Comprehensive Gun Control Legislation" is only going to make people run out and buy more guns so they can get "in before the ban"

It's the EXACT same logic as prohibition whether Costas wants to admit it or not.

The other problem is that we have produced so many weapons world wide that anyone can get virtually anything they want on the black market should they have the cash, so any ban is only going to effect law abiding citizens.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Last edited by Electromatic on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Administrator
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:53 pm
Posts: 20537
Location: The City Of Trees
Electromatic wrote:
It's a difficult social topic no doubt, but I don't think the majority of the American public is so irresponsible or violent that they should not be able to own handguns just because of a few lunatics.
This goes back to my baseline on this issue: just because you have the right to own a gun doesn't automatically mean that it's wise for you to own a gun.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
It's a difficult social topic no doubt, but I don't think the majority of the American public is so irresponsible or violent that they should not be able to own handguns just because of a few lunatics.
This goes back to my baseline on this issue: just because you have the right to own a gun doesn't automatically mean that it's wise for you to own a gun.



I agree totally.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
It's a difficult social topic no doubt, but I don't think the majority of the American public is so irresponsible or violent that they should not be able to own handguns just because of a few lunatics.
This goes back to my baseline on this issue: just because you have the right to own a gun doesn't automatically mean that it's wise for you to own a gun.



I agree totally.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 12393
Electromatic wrote:
At the same time the Redskins Sean Taylor perhaps ironically lost his life, because he abided by the law and brought a knife to a gun fight in his home.


I hope beyond hope that, when I do eventually lose my life, I am able to do so ironically.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unthought Known
 Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:47 pm
Posts: 9282
Location: Atlanta
Gender: Male
McParadigm wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
At the same time the Redskins Sean Taylor perhaps ironically lost his life, because he abided by the law and brought a knife to a gun fight in his home.


I hope beyond hope that, when I do eventually lose my life, I am able to do so ironically.



Good luck. I wasn't intending ever in this thread to imply that people should own guns for personal protection. In Taylor's case though, I believe months before his death he got in to trouble for shooting at people who were stealing ATV's from him and I believe he was convicted of a felony and thus had to surrender his guns, later the following year he was home recovering from an injury during the season when some armed people broke into his house in Miami, he tried to attack them with some sort of knife and was shot and killed.

_________________
Attention Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Administrator
 Profile

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:53 pm
Posts: 20537
Location: The City Of Trees
Electromatic wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
It's a difficult social topic no doubt, but I don't think the majority of the American public is so irresponsible or violent that they should not be able to own handguns just because of a few lunatics.
This goes back to my baseline on this issue: just because you have the right to own a gun doesn't automatically mean that it's wise for you to own a gun.
I agree totally.
And doubly totally :)

While we're on the subject, I think the worst comment I heard on this subject might have come from Shaun Smith:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/1744113/

Shaun Smith wrote:
Just because we're NFL players, it doesn't make us no different. Some of you guys probably have guns in your houses. If you have daughters, you should. You never know when somebody might try to rob you or do whatever, you know?
I'd like to know if the tragic but still rare Sean Taylor story caused a spike in gun ownership by NFL players.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
a joke
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:08 am
Posts: 22978
Gender: Male
Green Habit wrote:
I'd like to know if the tragic but still rare Sean Taylor story caused a spike in gun ownership by NFL players.



I think it probably did, and probably across all the professional sports, especially those made up of. um. a certain background. A lot of the guys that play professionally in both the NBA and NFL grew up in less than desirable areas, and it stands to reason that a lot of their friends, hangers on, and other folks they know are of somewhat ill repute. Now obviously that didn't play a role in the Taylor case (although it was speculated initially that he knew his killers), but I think it opened a lot of their eyes. Especially with the Paul Pierce thing around that time as well. Fact is, these are multi millionaires who grew up in (in a lot of cases) rough areas, that hang out with a lot of people that are probably pretty jealous.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Supersonic
 Profile

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:10 am
Posts: 10993
Gender: Male
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I'd like to know if the tragic but still rare Sean Taylor story caused a spike in gun ownership by NFL players.



I think it probably did, and probably across all the professional sports, especially those made up of. um. a certain background from Detroit. A lot of the guys that play professionally in both the NBA and NFL grew up in less than desirable areas Detroit, and it stands to reason that a lot of their friends, hangers on, and other folks they know are of somewhat ill repute from Detroit. Now obviously that didn't play a role in the Taylor case (although it was speculated initially that he knew his killers people from Detroit), but I think it opened a lot of their eyes. Especially with the Paul Pierce Detroit thing around that time as well. Fact is, these are multi millionaires who grew up in (in a lot of cases) rough areas Detroit, that hang out with a lot of people that are probably pretty jealous from Detroit.

_________________
i8pork wrote:
being on the internet is fun as hell. :comp:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Instead of another tired plea for a US gun ban Bob Costas...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
a joke
 Profile

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:08 am
Posts: 22978
Gender: Male
Alex wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I'd like to know if the tragic but still rare Sean Taylor story caused a spike in gun ownership by NFL players.



I think it probably did, and probably across all the professional sports, especially those made up of. um. a certain background from Detroit. A lot of the guys that play professionally in both the NBA and NFL grew up in less than desirable areas Detroit, and it stands to reason that a lot of their friends, hangers on, and other folks they know are of somewhat ill repute from Detroit. Now obviously that didn't play a role in the Taylor case (although it was speculated initially that he knew his killers people from Detroit), but I think it opened a lot of their eyes. Especially with the Paul Pierce Detroit thing around that time as well. Fact is, these are multi millionaires who grew up in (in a lot of cases) rough areas Detroit, that hang out with a lot of people that are probably pretty jealous from Detroit.

Image


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:39 pm