Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:12 pm 
Unthought Known

This is a fucking travesty of justice.

Geez. Welcome to Facism.

Look at the tax money we can rake in, Fuck the people who own the property.

Yay, more money to buy votes.

This country is fucked.

Way to go Supreme Court. You fucking blew it for every medium income American with valuable property.

I hope they take your houses you fucking troglodites.

The final nail in the American Dream. You have no property rights. If someone with power and political influence (ie Walmart) wants your house they can have it. Imminent Domain.

Fuck you supreme court.

Last edited by Electromatic on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:14 pm 
Banned from the Pit

towelie wrote:
The American people lose out once again to wealthy corporate interests. Unreal.

Seriously. I can't even wrap my brain around this. Unreal definitely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:15 pm 
Unthought Known

Said it before, say it again:

The government will never be anything more than a fairweather friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:17 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

broken_iris wrote:
The government will never be anything more than commodity that can be bought and sold by corporations.

You're post was close to how I feel, so I just edited it. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:19 pm 
Banned from the Pit

B wrote:
broken_iris wrote:
The government will never be anything more than commodity that can be bought and sold by corporations.

:cry:

Doesn't it make you well up really though? I mean, I feel like throwing my arms up in the air and giving up. What more can they do to screw people? I just bought a house, the thought that someone could come in and take it b/c they want to build a hotel or something makes me sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:20 pm 
Got Some

Electromatic wrote:

Geez. Welcome to Facism.

This country is fucked.

Way to go Supreme Court. You fucking blew it for every medium income American with valuable property.

The final nail in the American Dream. You have no property rights. If someone with power and political influence (ie Walmart) wants your house they can have it. Imminent Domain.

Fuck you supreme court.

So that decision was it for you huh? This country had slaves, zero rights for females, and killed off a good portion of our native population but this one decision throws us over the edge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:22 pm 
Unthought Known

C4Lukin wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Geez. Welcome to Facism.

This country is fucked.

Fuck you supreme court.

So that decision was it for you huh? This country had slaves, zero rights for females, and killed off a good portion of our native population but this one decision threw us over the edge?

this is just another nail in the coffin a more recent reason to be pissed off. I've been shocked about lynchings, suffrage and cases like Leonard Peltiers for years. Please don't pigeon hole me for my most recent anger at the federal government.

But speaking of Native Americans hell, I guess this about how they felt.

This must be the new manifest destiny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:31 pm 
Got Some

Electromatic wrote:
C4Lukin wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Geez. Welcome to Facism.

This country is fucked.

Fuck you supreme court.

So that decision was it for you huh? This country had slaves, zero rights for females, and killed off a good portion of our native population but this one decision threw us over the edge?

this is just another nail in the coffin a more recent reason to be pissed off. I've been shocked about lynchings, suffrage and cases like Leonard Peltiers for years. Please don't pigeon hole me for my most recent anger at the federal government.

I'm not trying to pigeon hole you, I just think it is an overreaction. I think this is a very small step backwards compared to some of the enormous steps forward this country has made. Plus I prefer for communities to have the right to make their own decisions without the federal government mandating these decisions for them. That to me would be much more towards the facist end of the spectrum. The community should band together and remove their local officials from office next election, and put people in who won't fuck them over. Though from an economics standpoint, the city may have its citizens best interests in consideration.

Last edited by C4Lukin on Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:34 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

C4Lukin wrote:
I'm not trying to pigeon hole you, I just think it is an overreaction. I think this is a very small step backwards compared to some of the enormous steps forward this country has made. Plus I prefer for communities to have the right to make their own decisions without the federal government mandating these decisions for them. That to me would be much more towards the facist end of the spectrum. The community should ban together and remove their local officials from office next election, and put people in who won't fuck them over. Though from economics standpoint, the city may have its citizens best interests in consideration.

I gotta agree with C4. If you think this sucks, wait until Alberto Gonzalez is chief justice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:37 pm 
Supersonic

And to think, the miscarriage of justice came from *gasp* the liberal wing of the Court.

I wonder if Sens. Durbin and Schumer will use a litmus test of eminent domain in confirmation hearings for the Supreme Court. Me thinks not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:40 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'm probably the only one here who agrees with this ruling. If a town needs to move 10 residents for the better good of the community then I agree with this. Over the past few years, cities have been in debt because the tax bases have been so low. Towns and cities need taxes to pay for the services it provides, without taxes there are no cities.

I guess people would rather have libraries, schools, and fire deptartments shut down first before the town relocates a few homes. Brilliant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:41 pm 
Unthought Known

Chris_H_2 wrote:
And to think, the miscarriage of justice came from *gasp* the liberal wing of the Court.

Liberal justices siding with corrupt local governments who want nothing more than to increase their tax base? SHOCKING. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:41 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Chris_H_2 wrote:

I wonder if Sens. Durbin and Schumer will use a litmus test of eminent domain in confirmation hearings for the Supreme Court. Me thinks not.

I think it's safe to say that the words "liberal" and "conservative" don't mean "jack shit" anymore. I can't believe any property-owning American would be pleased with this decision, so let's not turn this into another liberal vs. conservative argument.

I sent men to their doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

broken_iris wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Liberal justices siding with corrupt local governments who want nothing more than to increase their tax base? SHOCKING. :wink:

What do local governments do with their tax base?? Yeah they spend it on services for the community, like community swimming pools, fire depts, libraries, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:43 pm 
Unthought Known

Zutballs wrote:

I guess people would rather have libraries, schools, and fire deptartments shut down first before the town relocates a few homes. Brilliant.

This was to build a conference center and hotel for a pharmacutical giant. Peoples livelyhoods should not be sacrificed for the good of tax base. Cut spending, don't steal from innocents.

Post subject:
Supersonic

C4Lukin wrote:
I'm not trying to pigeon hole you, I just think it is an overreaction. I think this is a very small step backwards compared to some of the enormous steps forward this country has made. Plus I prefer for communities to have the right to make their own decisions without the federal government mandating these decisions for them. That to me would be much more towards the facist end of the spectrum. The community should band together and remove their local officials from office next election, and put people in who won't fuck them over. Though from an economics standpoint, the city may have its citizens best interests in consideration.

Perhaps this will work in some smaller communities, but not in larger ones. I live in a city where money begets power and those with the closest ties to city government will stand to benefit the most. People aren't going to give a rat's ass about this issue until and unless it affects them. This won't happen for the large majority of people. Therefore, you won't see people banding together to promote change on a scale where it will make a difference. What you will see is big time developers that give hundreds of thousands of dollars to the campaigns of mayors in places such as Chicago and Detroit wanting to eliminate parts of neighborhoods that have stood for a hundred years because new homes could lead to larger profits for them. And you know what? These mayors will capitulate. There is nothing in this decision that prevents such a scenario. I think that's shame.

Post subject:
Yeah Yeah Yeah

towelie wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I think it's safe to say that the words "liberal" and "conservative" don't mean "jack shit" anymore. I can't believe any property-owning American would be pleased with this decision, so let's not turn this into another liberal vs. conservative argument.

No this about people who look at the small picture vs. the big picture of a community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:44 pm 
Supersonic

Zutballs wrote:
broken_iris wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

What do local governments do with their tax base?? Yeah they spend it on services for the community, like community swimming pools, fire depts, libraries, etc.

Um, not all of them . . .

I suggest you do some reading on the recent scandals in city governments such as in Chicago and Detroit. This will change your perception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:45 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

broken_iris wrote:
Zutballs wrote:

This was to build a conference center and hotel for a pharmacutical giant. Peoples livelyhoods should not be sacrificed for the good of tax base. Cut spending, don't steal from innocents.

Cut spending??? So this City should fire some of its employees??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:53 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Zutballs wrote:

Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that local governments are shining examples of non-corrupt, for the people leadership. :arrow:

This really makes me feel good about living in this 21st century Ownership Society. :arrow:

I sent men to their doom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate