Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:06 am 
Unthought Known

Athletic Supporter wrote:
That kind of is the nature of "guest worker". You do go back, you're not a resident of the US.

Bro, I think you need to go back and read Lord Bu$hies "guest worker" proposal. It's nothing more than a green-card shortcut for LAtin American illegal immigrants.

Who said the gov't is paying for the transportation and/or retirement of guest workers? I can get a working visa for New Zealand, but I've got to get my own ass there and they're not supporting me in retirement.

So what is the governments plan? Let them rot in the streets when they are old? The US Social Security system does NOT count "work status" only that you paid in FICA. If the guest workers pay in FICA for 10 years (even if they were illegal for part of this) they (or spouses and dependants) get the same benefits you and I do. Is that what you really want?

If the US was smart, and I'm not holding my breath, they would encourage immigration from places like Central and East Asia as well as Western Europe. These groups tend to do better generationally than native born Americans in terms of earnings and education improvements. If we want progress, and the middle class isn't having enough kids, we need to set up an immigration policy that encourages only the most intellegent and able people to come here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:24 am 
Banned from the Pit

del

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:54 am 
Devil's Advocate

broken_iris wrote:
That kind of is the nature of "guest worker". You do go back, you're not a resident of the US.

Bro, I think you need to go back and read Lord Bu$hies "guest worker" proposal. It's nothing more than a green-card shortcut for LAtin American illegal immigrants.

Who said the gov't is paying for the transportation and/or retirement of guest workers? I can get a working visa for New Zealand, but I've got to get my own ass there and they're not supporting me in retirement.

So what is the governments plan? Let them rot in the streets when they are old? The US Social Security system does NOT count "work status" only that you paid in FICA. If the guest workers pay in FICA for 10 years (even if they were illegal for part of this) they (or spouses and dependants) get the same benefits you and I do. Is that what you really want?

If the US was smart, and I'm not holding my breath, they would encourage immigration from places like Central and East Asia as well as Western Europe. These groups tend to do better generationally than native born Americans in terms of earnings and education improvements. If we want progress, and the middle class isn't having enough kids, we need to set up an immigration policy that encourages only the most intellegent and able people to come here.

Hey, you da man. I'm not interested enough to read about whatever fuckwad proposals Bush has for immigration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:37 pm 
Administrator

broken_iris wrote:

Whoa, be careful here. I mis-spoke earlier and it was people from any region.

Also, do we really need to encourage pro-creation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:50 pm 
Father Bitch

broken_iris wrote:

I had no idea Asians and Western Europeans were more intelligent/able than the rest of the world. Maybe we should just join the EU and let them take care of us and our dumb hispanic immigrants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:04 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

People can say what they like about immigration, but where someone is born, they should be granted the rights of a citizen of that country.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:38 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Hallucination wrote:
People can say what they like about immigration, but where someone is born, they should be granted the rights of a citizen of that country.

Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:51 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hallucination wrote:

Why?

Because they were born in that country. They weren't born anywhere else. Before long we'll have people who won't be given a nationality.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:04 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Hallucination wrote:
Hallucination wrote:

Why?

Because they were born in that country. They weren't born anywhere else. Before long we'll have people who won't be given a nationality.

Who gives a damn where they were born if their parents are there illegally. Hell, if they're on vacation from Switzerland also. Birthplace should not be the sole determination of citizenship. Whatever country your parents are citizens of, that's what you oughta be IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:19 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

What do other countries do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:28 pm 
Devil's Advocate

B wrote:
This is America B, we set the tempo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:35 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

B wrote:
This is America B, we set the tempo.

:x How very American of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:16 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hallucination wrote:
Hallucination wrote:

Why?

Who gives a damn where they were born if their parents are there illegally. Hell, if they're on vacation from Switzerland also. Birthplace should not be the sole determination of citizenship. Whatever country your parents are citizens of, that's what you oughta be IMO.

You're not worth my time if you can't do better than "who gives a damn". You're from where you're from, end of. Should all non-whites be deported on the basis of ancestry? This'll be my last post to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:17 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Hallucination wrote:
Hallucination wrote:
Hallucination wrote:

Why?

You're not worth my time if you can't do better than "who gives a damn". You're from where you're from, end of. Should all non-whites be deported on the basis of ancestry? This'll be my last post to you.

Whatever you read into my post was wrong Mr Last Post. Please let me know where I said something about non-whites and stop assuming.

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate