Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject: GOP Implosion Continues
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:15 pm 
Got Some

With the way things are going for the Republicans (e.g. Frist, DeLay, Libby) maybe the mods should sticky this.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/28/ ... index.html

Rep. Cunningham pleads guilty to tax violations

California Republican admits to taking $2.4 million in bribes

Monday, November 28, 2005; Posted: 3:21 p.m. EST (20:21 GMT)

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham says he now knows "great shame" after pleading guilty Monday.
SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham pleaded guilty Monday to conspiracy and tax charges and tearfully resigned from office, admitting he took $2.4 million in bribes to steer defense contracts to conspirators.

Cunningham, 63, entered pleas in U.S. District Court to charges of conspiracy to commit bribery, mail fraud and wire fraud, and tax evasion for underreporting his income in 2004.

Cunningham answered "yes, Your Honor" when asked by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns if he had accepted bribes from someone in exchange for his performance of official duties.

Later, at a news conference, he wiped away tears as he announced his resignation. (Watch Cunningham's tearful resignation -- 2:16)

"I can't undo what I have done but I can atone," he said.

Cunningham, an eight-term Republican congressman, had already announced in July that he would not seek re-election next year.

House Ethics rules say that any lawmaker convicted of a felony no longer should vote or participate in committee work. Under Republican caucus rules, Cunningham also would have lost his chairmanship of the House Intelligence subcommittee on terrorism and human intelligence.

The former Vietnam War flying ace was known on Capitol Hill for his interest in defense issues and his occasional temperamental outbursts.

After the hearing, Cunningham was taken away for fingerprinting and released on his own recognizance until a February 27 sentencing hearing. He could receive up to 10 years in prison.

He also agreed to forfeit to the government his Rancho Santa Fe home, more than $1.8 million in cash and antiques and rugs.

In a statement, prosecutors said Cunningham admitted to receiving at least $2.4 million in bribes paid to him by several conspirators through a variety of methods, including checks totaling over $1 million, cash, rugs, antiques, furniture, yacht club fees and vacations.

"He did the worst thing an elected official can do -- he enriched himself through his position and violated the trust of those who put him there," U.S. Attorney Carol Lam said. The statement did not identify the conspirators.

The case began when authorities started investigating whether Cunningham and his wife, Nancy, used the proceeds from the $1,675,000 sale to defense contractor Mitchell Wade to buy the $2.55 million mansion in Rancho Santa Fe. Wade put the Del Mar house back on the market and sold it after nearly a year for $975,000 -- a loss of $700,000.

He drew little notice outside his San Diego-area district before the San Diego Union-Tribune reported last June that he'd sold the home to Wade.

Cunningham's pleas came amid a series of GOP scandals. Rep. Tom DeLay of Texas had to step down as majority leader after he was indicted in a campaign finance case; a stock sale by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is being looked at by regulators; and Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff was indicted in the CIA leak case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:43 pm 
Unthought Known

I am SHOCKED that a politician would take a bribe.

Remember this when you send your kids to a public school or rally for socialized medicine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:41 am 
Unthought Known

San Diego has some shitty government (the mayor was also embroiled in scandal). Y'all need to find some better elected officials. Either that or some smarter, sneakier leaders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:47 pm 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

broken_iris wrote:

Remember this when you send your kids to a public school or rally for socialized medicine.

Of course, you wouldn't be saying that if he were a DEMOCRAT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:56 pm 
Unthought Known

Brink of Forever wrote:
broken_iris wrote:

Of course, you wouldn't be saying that if he were a DEMOCRAT.

I dislike all politicians equally and believe strongly in the reduction of influence of all levels of government on our daily lives. I have no love for either party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:49 am 
Got Some

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/01/06/ ... index.html

GOP coalition seeks shake-up of House leadership

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In what could be the death knell for Rep. Tom DeLay's hopes of returning to the House leadership and a wake-up call to the current GOP leaders, some moderate and conservative Republicans are officially calling on the House Republican leadership to hold elections in early February, CNN has learned.

The effort is being spearheaded by conservative Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Arizona, and moderate Rep. Charlie Bass, R-New Hampshire. The two are circulating a petition.

Under House Republican conference rules, they need 50 signatures to hold a meeting to press the new elections when the 109th Congress reconvenes on January 31. GOP congressional sources indicated to CNN that they were halfway toward that mark early Friday afternoon.

Flake told CNN by phone, "We don't just need new leaders, we need a serious course correction or we're going to be in the minority."

Citing the Jack Abramoff scandal and the resignation of Rep. Duke Cunningham of California after his indictment for illegally taking money from a defense contractor, Flake said the leadership has underestimated the impact of such news.

"It's a different ballgame. We've crossed that Rubicon," he said.

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate