Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246  Next
 Post subject: Re: On the issue of universal health care
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:12 am 
alot of $$$

Beef wrote:
given2trade wrote:
thodoks wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Absolutely nothing was performed on me except an examination of my asshole.

a pretty remarkable sentence right here

For $900 or $600, you'd think she'd at least have taken her top off and massaged my prostate while she was in there.

That's what got you into this mess.

Hmm, in all of my google searches on the subject I never saw fornicating with a door girl as a cause for hemorrhoids. I'll double check with bing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:17 am 
Pralines and Dick

given2trade wrote:
Beef wrote:
given2trade wrote:
thodoks wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Absolutely nothing was performed on me except an examination of my asshole.

a pretty remarkable sentence right here

For $900 or $600, you'd think she'd at least have taken her top off and massaged my prostate while she was in there.

That's what got you into this mess.

Hmm, in all of my google searches on the subject I never saw fornicating with a door girl as a cause for hemorrhoids. I'll double check with bing.

Naww, I just want to pinch your little Jewish cheeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:19 am 
alot of $$$

Not sure which cheeks you're referring to, but my butt before my hemorrhoid problems was pretty adorable. Yah, like 9 year old boy with hair adorable, but adorable nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

given2trade wrote:
Not sure which cheeks you're referring to, but my butt before my hemorrhoid problems was pretty adorable. Yah, like 9 year old boy with hair adorable, but adorable nonetheless.

I know way too much about your butt now.

And coming from me, this says a lot. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:28 pm 
Unthought Known

given2trade wrote:
You want to know the problem with healthcare?

I went to UCSD to see a doctor about my ass problems. While I was there a medical resident witnessed the consultation (it's a teaching facility) so you'd think the service is discounted as a result. The entire thing lasted 20 minutes (after waiting for 1 hour 30 minutes to be seen). Absolutely nothing was performed on me except an examination of my asshole.

I got the bill today. I have catastrophic health insurance so for the most part, it covers little. I pay $110 a month in premiums and am self employed.

$910. $300 got removed due to health insurance. I owe $610. For 20 minutes and a 5 minute examination. That a RESIDENT WAS WITNESSING.

Absurd. No way that's a real price. They expect most people to have medicare or full health insurance and they bill to the payer and through negotiations it ends up being much, much, less. But because I'm a cash payer I don't get the benefit.

This is the crux of my issue with health care. We're essentially paying an intermediary to bargain health care costs for us and they have created a market by completely covering and hiding the costs of everything regarding any aspect of care.

Why pay for health insurance at all? Why is it necessary in anything other than catestrophic care? Currently because the way the system is built, if you don't buy insurance, you don't get into the group that gets the best "rates" It's an absolute scam, but a lot of people are wealthy because of it.

If they published prices ahead of time, like everyone else in the free world has to do, you could actually shop around for the best price. You could use the market. Doesn't work that way in healthcare.

None of the obscene cost goes away with single payer, it just gets added to the mess that's going on right now about paying for servicing our debts. We just become more like Greece on one hand, or the quality of our care goes to absolute shit on the other.

What if you could go to Bing and search rates for Proctologists and find official costs? Hell there could be an app for that.

It already works this way for elective surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:40 am 
AnalLog

Quote:
If, by action of politicians or the market, the health care spending curve is not bent, one might argue that this reflects our collective desire, our revealed preference. The history of health care spending in the US is consistent with the hypothesis that we view health care as a luxury good, one on which we spend more of our wealth as that wealth grows....The great question [this chart] suggests to me is that if health is a luxury good, why should we expect the health spending trajectory to change?

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordp ... th-policy/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:13 pm 
Unthought Known

What if we passed a national law that stated if a patient is consious they should be informed what their cost responsibilty would be for each and every evaluation, test or procedure prior to it being performed allowing the patient to deny that procedure if they so chose? This would include drugs administered in hospitals and doctors who happen to show up in say the emergency room who wish to charge a patient as a seperate contractor.

Do you think this would encourage competitive pricing?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:55 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
What if we passed a national law that stated if a patient is consious they should be informed what their cost responsibilty would be for each and every evaluation, test or procedure prior to it being performed allowing the patient to deny that procedure if they so chose? This would include drugs administered in hospitals and doctors who happen to show up in say the emergency room who wish to charge a patient as a seperate contractor.

Do you think this would encourage competitive pricing?

my initial thought is that it would cause people to put off preventive procedures/ meds and then ultimately cost everyone around them more money by getting treated in the emergency room, whilst unconscious, and then not being able to pay their bill.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:23 pm 
a joke

NaiveAndTrue wrote:

Coming from the girl whose every facebook post is the internet equivalent to watching your wife poop..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Skitch Patterson wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

Coming from the girl whose every facebook post is the internet equivalent to watching your wife poop..

Really? My facebook posts are pretty mundane. I think a good 80% is about what I'm eating. Then there's craft projects, pictures of my cats. . . not so much serious or personal info. Hmm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:24 pm 
Unthought Known

I wonder if we had no employer sponsored health insurance and limited (ex: actual safety net below the poverty line) government assisted health care whether the costs of health care could be what they are currently in the US. The basic doctor visits where they perform minimal or no work are insane not to mention the costs of most surgeries or oncology treatments. I wonder what the tipping point on prices would be without the markup and write offs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:29 am 
Administrator

This one seemed to slip under the radar while I was gone this weekend, but the 11th Circuit found the individual mandate unconstitutional.

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-conten ... -12-11.pdf

Since the 6th Circuit ruled the other way, this pretty much guarantees that the Supreme Court will hear this case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:37 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Was it a long weekend for you? That came out Friday.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:25 pm 
AnalLog

Quote:
Ryan Kennedy was diagnosed with ependymoma, a rare form of brain cancer, in 2007, when he was 4. Now Ryan, at 9, is living out the most adult decision a person can make — he quit all his cancer treatments and chose to die at home.

Ryan’s disease attacks the central nervous system, and caused him to walk into walls and vomit frequently. Since his diagnosis, his treatments have included four rounds of chemotherapy, two bouts of radiation, and seven surgeries. Ryan’s most recent operation, last August, left the right side of Ryan’s face paralyzed, and that’s when he decided to wave the white flag.

When doctors proposed another surgery in February, Ryan refused, telling his parents with certainty, “I’m done with this.” He just wanted to “live the rest of his life.”

Ryan’s final wish was to go swimming, so the whole family took a vacation. Now Ryan is spending his last days at home in hospice care. He has almost died — twice — and he’s shared tearful goodbyes with his brother and sister.

Ryan’s 10th birthday is May 24, but doctors don’t expect him to live that long.

the death panels have started their reign...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
Quote:
Ryan Kennedy was diagnosed with ependymoma, a rare form of brain cancer, in 2007, when he was 4. Now Ryan, at 9, is living out the most adult decision a person can make — he quit all his cancer treatments and chose to die at home.

Ryan’s disease attacks the central nervous system, and caused him to walk into walls and vomit frequently. Since his diagnosis, his treatments have included four rounds of chemotherapy, two bouts of radiation, and seven surgeries. Ryan’s most recent operation, last August, left the right side of Ryan’s face paralyzed, and that’s when he decided to wave the white flag.

When doctors proposed another surgery in February, Ryan refused, telling his parents with certainty, “I’m done with this.” He just wanted to “live the rest of his life.”

Ryan’s final wish was to go swimming, so the whole family took a vacation. Now Ryan is spending his last days at home in hospice care. He has almost died — twice — and he’s shared tearful goodbyes with his brother and sister.

:|

Um. . . what?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 pm 
AnalLog

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Quote:

Um. . . what?
didn't you know that offering someone end-of-life care options is the same as bureaucrats deciding who can and can't live?!!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

EllisEamos wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:
EllisEamos wrote:
Quote:

Um. . . what?
didn't you know that offering someone end-of-life care options is the same as bureaucrats deciding who can and can't live?!!

I repeat my question. . .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:04 pm 
On the bright side

So what is the level of health care that is going to be required with this thing? I have government covered health care (VA). Will I be required to "buy" more insurance? Or, if someone just has basic coverage with high co-pays and deductibles, will they be required to purchase more?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:25 pm 
AnalLog

Rebar wrote:
So what is the level of health care that is going to be required with this thing? I have government covered health care (VA). Will I be required to "buy" more insurance? Or, if someone just has basic coverage with high co-pays and deductibles, will they be required to purchase more?
you're dead.

Seriously though, i think you're covered. Although your plan itself might change some.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
Unthought Known

Rebar wrote:

You are probably OK. In my case, my employer subsidizes most of our plan for tax benefit. I pay $20/week, so my plan could easily exceed the magic bullshit number in the ACA and my employer may be fined for such an expensive plan. In which case the quality of my healthcare plan will probably decrease in order to make it cost less so they don't get fined.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 241, 242, 243, 244, 245, 246  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate