Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject: Earth Hurtles Toward 6.5 Billion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:48 pm 
Unthought Known

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70238-0.html?tw=rss.technology

The planet's population is projected to reach 6.5 billion at 7:16 p.m. EST Saturday, according to the U.S. Census Bureau and its World Population Clock.

Thomas Malthus, the 18th-century thinker who famously predicted the human population would outrun its food supply, would be astounded.

Back in 1798, when Malthus penned his classic An Essay on the Principle of Population, barely a billion Homo sapiens roamed the planet. Today, Earth's population teeters on the brink of a new milestone: 6.5 billion living, breathing humans.

"Malthus would be astonished not only at the numbers of people, but at the real prosperity of about a fifth of them and the average prosperity of most of them," said demographer Joel Cohen, a professor of populations at Rockefeller and Columbia universities. "He wouldn't be surprised at the abject poverty of the lowest quarter or third."

The clock, which operates continuously, estimates that each second 4.1 people are born and 1.8 people die. The clock figures are estimates, subject to error, given the difficulties of maintaining an accurate global population count.

However, the key concept -- that population levels are growing, but at a slower rate than in the past few decades -- reflects the consensus view of demographers. The current growth of world population, estimated by Cohen at 1.1 percent a year, has slowed significantly from its peak of 2.1 percent annual growth between 1965 and 1970.

"That's a phenomenal decline," said Cohen, who probed the question of whether population growth is sustainable in his book, How Many People Can Earth Support?. (The short answer: It depends.)

Today, a large portion of the world's population lives in nations that are at sub-replacement fertility, meaning the average woman has fewer than two children in her lifetime. Countries in this camp include former members of the Soviet Union, Japan and most of Europe.

Demographers attribute the slowing rate of global population growth in part to more-widespread availability of birth control and to people in developed nations choosing to have fewer children. But low-birthrate countries are counterbalanced by nations like Yemen, where the average woman has seven children in her lifetime.

The highest population growth rates emanate disproportionately from the poorest regions of Africa, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.

U.S. population is also growing at a steady clip, augmented by high numbers of immigrants. It is projected to hit 300 million later this year. Earth's population is expected to reach 7 billion in 2012, according to the Census Bureau.

Carl Haub, a demographer with the Population Reference Bureau, sees urbanization contributing to slowing growth, because urban areas typically have lower birthrates than rural areas. In 1950, less than 30 percent of people lived in areas defined as urban. Next year, the United Nations projects that more than half the world's population will be urban.

As population growth marches forward, debate continues in academia -- as it has since Malthus' time -- over how many people the Earth can realistically support.

Certainly individual countries, such as Bangladesh or Rwanda, can be characterized as overpopulated, said Haub. But in other places, such as India, it's harder to determine the extent to which overpopulation -- rather than other social and economic factors -- contributes to poverty.

Some turn to mathematical models for estimating maximum sustainable population levels.

One metric modeled on the Census Bureau's population clock compares world population to the finite supply of arable land.

For his part, Cohen estimates that if we want to support individuals indefinitely -- allotting each person 3,500 calories per day from wheat and 247,000 gallons per year of fresh water -- the planet has room for only about 5 billion people.

But such formulas are subject to tinkering. Changes in agricultural practices, more efficient water-desalination technologies and a host of other factors can increase the number of people the planet can support. Shifts in behavior -- such as acceptance of new food sources that are cheap to produce -- can have a similar effect, noted Cohen.

"What most of this commentary neglects is the role of culture in defining wheat as food but not, let's say, cultured single-cell algae," he said.

--------

Anyone else think that's about 5.5 billion to many? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:21 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The shit is going to hit the proverbial fan in the coming years.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject: Re: Earth Hurtles Toward 6.5 Billion
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:30 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

broken_iris wrote:

Get off my planet, mother fuckers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:27 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:16 am 
Administrator

We need more abortions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:09 am 
Stone's Bitch

I have The Stand fantasies all the time.

I'm the chic from 16 candles and I totally bang Lt. Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:34 am 
Father Bitch

Just pack some guns in lunchboxes and call the SWAT team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:57 am 
Got Some

Way to go humanity. This compulsive and animalistic fucking thing is really a treat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:48 am 
Unthought Known

C4Lukin wrote:
This compulsive and animalistic fucking thing is really a treat.

Me and my new friend from last night totally agree. :naughty:

But.....

The actual carrying capacity of Earth is something like 800 million people. If only there was some kind of disease, possibly spread by airborne migrating animals, that could take out large swaths of the population w/o us have to 'spread freedom' to them. :?

Trent Reznor wrote:
He made a virus that would kill off all the swine..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:53 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I remember learning about the carrying capacity of animals earlier this year and about how they will have a good couple years and skyrocket above their carrying capacity then someting will happen such as disease and they will plummet far below, sometimes almost to extinction until they can slowly move back. then it all happens again.

This is bound to happen to humans at some point :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:30 pm 
Devil's Advocate

jwfocker wrote:
Maybe somewhere else. Certainly not anyplace where people have computers in their homes.

Post subject: Re: Earth Hurtles Toward 6.5 Billion
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:36 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

broken_iris wrote:

Yeah, we'd be cool if we just firebombed all the expendable countries. And Arkansas.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:27 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Quote:
For his part, Cohen estimates that if we want to support individuals indefinitely -- allotting each person 3,500 calories per day from wheat and 247,000 gallons per year of fresh water -- the planet has room for only about 5 billion people.

I find these numbers a bit odd. 3500 calories is a bit high, I mean who the hell eats 3500 calories a day just from wheat products. And most people can get a pretty healthy diet eating around 2000 cal/day. The water number is really ridiculous. I did the math, 247,000 divided by 365 comes out to around 677 gallons a day, I don't even think it's possible to drink that much water in a day. Granted some of the water will be used for other things like bathing and such, but 677 gal/day?

LostTraveler> If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is around to hear it or see it, do the other trees point and laugh at it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:48 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Edit.

We gotta watch our backs

Last edited by corduroy_blazer on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:52 am 
Force of Nature

i'm thinking about going into the condom business

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:28 am 
Unthought Known

KillingZoe wrote:
Quote:

I find these numbers a bit odd. 3500 calories is a bit high, I mean who the hell eats 3500 calories a day just from wheat products. And most people can get a pretty healthy diet eating around 2000 cal/day. The water number is really ridiculous. I did the math, 247,000 divided by 365 comes out to around 677 gallons a day, I don't even think it's possible to drink that much water in a day. Granted some of the water will be used for other things like bathing and such, but 677 gal/day?

Maybe some of that wheat per person is what is used to feed animals and whatnot whose meat/ dairy products humans ingest. The same probably applies to the water usage as well. The solution is quite simple, really: soylent green. Human flesh has all sorts of curative properties, or at least thats what Ravenous tells me. We can cure Aids and cancer while decreasing the world population. Cannibalism is the way to go. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Athletic Supporter wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
Maybe somewhere else. Certainly not anyplace where people have computers in their homes.

Oh, yeah, I'll be fine

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:47 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

We need to colonize Mars real soon, let's get this ball moving here

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:35 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

"Mars, bitches!"

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:10 am 
Got Some

An STD worse than AIDS will appear and the UGLY shall inherit the earth.

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate