Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: christianity
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:44 am 
Interweb Celebrity

i really need to say/ask four things:

-- is anyone that believes in the bible sensical enough to know noah's ark isn't really feasible?

-- the story of cain and abel maybe means more than it's read as...like, per se, the story of the civilized overtaking the uncivilized.

-- similar point with adam and eve. maybe it's a metaphorical story about man was tempted by life.

-- science discoveries show forms of man showing up on earth before 10,000 years ago. like 3 million years ago. right.

We gotta watch our backs

Last edited by corduroy_blazer on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: the bible
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:50 am 
The Decider

corduroy_blazer wrote:
am i way off my rocker here?

Not at all. But you have invented a new word. No matter how sensical you may be. ;)

If Soundgarden is perfectly fine with playing together with Tad Doyle on vocals, why the fuck is he wasting his life promoting the single worst album of all time? Holy shit, he has to be the stupidest motherfucker on earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:09 pm 
Founding Bitch

I think some people would have you believe that it's the word of God, buddy :cop:

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:13 pm 
Got Some

corduroy_blazer wrote:

-- is anyone that believes in the bible sensical enough to know noah's ark isn't really feasible?

-- the story of cain and abel maybe means more than it's read as...like, per se, the story of the civilized overtaking the uncivilized.

-- similar point with adam and eve. maybe it's a metaphorical story about man was tempted by life.

-- science discoveries show forms of man showing up on earth before 10,000 years ago. am i way off my rocker here?

Ishmael has had quite the affect on you, hasn't it? :D

I watched a show on Discovery Channel a while ago where a group of scientists calculated that if all the ice on earth melted, it still wouldn't be nearly enough to completely flood the earth. Of course, most hardcore bible believers can get past this the same way they get over any other evidence contradicting a story from the bible...god's magic.

And by the way, man was on earth WELL before 10,000 years ago. To deny this is just silly.

If Earth could say,
In a voice floating up
Perhaps
From the floor
Of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done.
People did not like it here.''

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:07 pm 
Got Some

Slayer agrees with you.

4. New Faith

Holy man open up your eyes
To the ways of the world you've been so blind
As the walls of religion come crashing down
How's the ignorance taste the second time around

Tell me how it feels knowing chaos will never end
Tell me what it's like when the celebration begins

Welcome to the horror of the revelation
Tell me what you think of your savior now
I reject all the biblical views of the truth
Dismiss it as the folklore of the times
I won't be force fed prophecies
From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
Join the new faith for the celebration
Cult of new faith fuels the devastation

Holy man come and worship me
I am all that you ever wanted to be
I'm the life of indulgence you never knew
The epitome of evil shining through

Tell me how it feels knowing chaos will never end
Tell me what it's like when the celebration begins

Welcome to the horror of the revelation
Tell me what you think of your savior now
I reject all the biblical views of the truth
Dismiss it as the folklore of the times
I won't be force fed prophecies
From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
I keep the bible in a pool of blood
So that none of its lies can affect me

This is new faith
A different way of life
Witness the shame
See for yourself the lies
I'll take the fight
Bring it every time, any time
Refuse to let them win
My heresy begins

Pray for life - wish for death
Pray for life - know in time you'll pray for death

Tear it away
It lives inside your mind
Silence the fear
That keeps you pure inside
Now you can see
Life's atrocities endlessly
Witness the miracle
Witness the miracle

Pray for life - wish for death
Pray for life - with every breath
You'll pray for death - you'll pray for death
Embrace new faith, embrace new faith
Yeah, new faith - yeah, new faith.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:13 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:

http://www.rae.org/noah.html

corduroy_blazer wrote:

-- science discoveries show forms of man showing up on earth before 10,000 years ago. am i way off my rocker here?

I've always found it a safe assumption that a lot more of the Bible is metaphor than not. You can't possibly believe the creation story without believing that a "day" is actually millions of years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:31 pm 
Stone's Bitch

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Okies

corduroy_blazer wrote:

This is the problem with proclaiming books that a several thousand years old and translated accross a couple of languages the literal word of your God. If it's in the Bible, you're meant to accept it as God's word.

corduroy_blazer wrote:

They had two children. Both boys. Where did the rest of society come from? Why did Cain have a mark to protect him from other people? What other people? Sorry, I seem to have answered your question with a question there.

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Spookily, women have one more rib than men, and apparently Eve was created from one of Adam's ribs.

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Nope, that goes back to that whole literal word of God stuff from the first point. I'd like to say you should interpret it with an open mind and so on but that's what those fucking evangelists do. The Old Testemant in particular is full of so many reasons we're all going to hell it's not even funny.

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:40 pm 
Unthought Known

Isn't the old testment just a collection of "pagan" myths modified to fit with monotheism?

I have read that the biblical flood could be the recounting of a ruptured glacial lake. I don't recall where thta story is from though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:12 pm 
Got Some

stuzzo wrote:
Spookily, women have one more rib than men, and apparently Eve was created from one of Adam's ribs.

Umm...they do? Not in any anatomy book I've ever looked in.

If Earth could say,
In a voice floating up
Perhaps
From the floor
Of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:19 pm 
Of Counsel

corduroy_blazer wrote:

Sort of. Cain was a farmer, Abel was a herder. It is a metaphor for the agricultural revolution. The triumph of the Sun god over the Moon and Earth goddesses, of agriculture over agrarian. It's also a reminder to later generations that this was not a peaceful transition. True "warfare" as we know it today really dates back to this period in human history.

Quote:

I think this is even simpler than that. To me, the story of Adam and Eve and the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil are about the ascendancy of man from the realm of the animals. There are many levels of consciousness, and consciousness is shared with our animal cousins, and with all living things at one level or another. But only man has developed a level of self-consciousness as high as we have. It is the self-reflective qualities of the human mind that have enabled everything that separates us from the animals. The yearning for the time in the Garden of Eden is that yearning for a simpler time, when we did not carry the troubles of the world because we did not have the mental capacity to internalize those troubles, much as many people yearn for the time of their youth. But you can never go back once you’ve been enlightened.

I won't even address your questions about people who beleive in Noah's Ark or that the earth and humanity is only 6000 years old. They are ignorant, and that is the kindest thing I can say about such people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:26 pm 
Stone's Bitch

energystar wrote:
stuzzo wrote:

I had several biology teachers who were quite certain on this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:28 pm 
Of Counsel

stuzzo wrote:
energystar wrote:
stuzzo wrote:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio105/ribs.htm

Quote:
Over the last few years, I have received several e-mail message asking if the number of ribs is different in men and women. To correctly respond to these inquiries, I have researched this issue by looking up this information in several Anatomy and Physiology textbooks. All agree that, based on medical research (somebody actually dissected cadavers and counted ribs, somebody actually looked at x-rays and counted ribs), men and women have the same number of ribs as each other.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm 
Got Some

stuzzo wrote:
energystar wrote:
stuzzo wrote:

They were quite certainly wrong.

If Earth could say,
In a voice floating up
Perhaps
From the floor
Of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:32 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

punkdavid wrote:
I won't even address your questions about people who beleive in Noah's Ark or that the earth and humanity is only 6000 years old. They are ignorant, and that is the kindest thing I can say about such people.

:lol:

well what i'm saying is, if a human life form was here before 6,000 years ago...like, was here, say, 10,000 years ago for the agricultural revolution...well doesn't that go to disprove the bible?

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:33 pm 
Of Counsel

corduroy_blazer wrote:
punkdavid wrote:

:lol:

well what i'm saying is, if a human life form was here before 6,000 years ago...like, was here, say, 10,000 years ago for the agricultural revolution...well doesn't that go to disprove the bible?

The people you're talking about don't beleive in "agricultural revolutions", much less that it took place 10,000 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:21 pm 
Force of Nature

I would post in this thread with my rebuttal to your self-satisfying views but the thread would then turn into 30 pages of not much being done but time being wasted at work. :roll: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:29 pm 
Of Counsel

zxlr8 wrote:
I would post in this thread with my rebuttal to your self-satisfying views but the thread would then turn into 30 pages of not much being done but time being wasted at work. :roll: :wink:

Agreed. :wink:

*EDIT* I think an excellent discussion can be had regarding the MEANINGS of the stories in the Bible, but if anyone takes the position that the Bible is to be taken literally and that it the "Word of God", somebody might get jumped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:41 pm 
Got Some

zxlr8 wrote:

Hey now, the last few pages of the atheism thread turned into one of the best atheism recruitment tools of all time. :D That's not wasted time.

If Earth could say,
In a voice floating up
Perhaps
From the floor
Of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:43 pm 
Stone's Bitch

punkdavid wrote:
zxlr8 wrote:

Agreed. :wink:

*EDIT* I think an excellent discussion can be had regarding the MEANINGS of the stories in the Bible, but if anyone takes the position that the Bible is to be taken literally and that it the "Word of God", somebody might get jumped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:52 pm 
Force of Nature

I would have to be very self-deprecating to start that slippery slope. :lol:
Seriously. You guys are entertaining if nothing else.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 856 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate