Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: The Fight Over Circumcision
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:54 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Orpheus wrote:
-We have a foreskin for a reason. We evolved to have one, just like like most things on the human body. Yes there are some things like the appendix that are now unnecessary, but they're few and far between. If you think it looks better and might reduce ear infections by 8%, would you be willing to nip off your child's earlobe? Why not?

What reason that is relevant today? And as for your other example, you're right that it's pretty much the same (though to be the same, it has to involve not you but society thinking lobe-less ears look better). I'm not sure what that proves, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm 
Force of Nature

USA! USA!

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... l.pdf+html

Circumcision Policy Statement
TASK FORCE ON CIRCUMCISION

Male circumcision is a common procedure, generally performed during the newborn period in the United States. In 2007, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) formed a multidisciplinary task force of AAP members and other stakeholders to evaluate the recent evidence on male circumcision and update the Academy’s 1999 recommendations in this area. Evaluation of current evidence indicates that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks and that the procedure’s benefits justify access to this procedure for families who choose it. Specific benefits identified included prevention of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, and transmission of some sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has endorsed this statement.Pediatrics 2012;130:585–586

Last edited by track12 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:59 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

:bammer:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:01 pm 
Coast to Coast

Oh, America.

Still wrong, unnecessary and stupid. FYI, the AAP endorsed "clitoral nicks" two years ago, was quickly forced to retract. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/abo ... al-cutting

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:26 pm 
Force of Nature

Oh, platypus...you are so much better than this. I hadn't heard of this particular issue, but this is what I get from your article:

The AAP is 100% against female genital mutilation, but suggested that if people are going to do it anyways, to please use a less "mutilating" technique.

One of my pet peeves is when people try to discredit an entire group or professional agency simply by digging up some headline-grabber that is not quite as preposterous as it appears. Did you read the abstract?

"The American Academy of Pediatrics opposes all types of female genital cutting that pose risks of physical or psychological harm, counsels its members not to perform such procedures, recommends that its members actively seek to dissuade families from carrying out harmful forms of FGC, and urges its members to provide patients and their parents with compassionate education about the harms of FGC while remaining sensitive to the cultural and religious reasons that motivate parents to seek this procedure for their daughters."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:34 pm 
Coast to Coast

track12 wrote:
Oh, platypus...you are so much better than this. I hadn't heard of this particular issue, but this is what I get from your article:

The AAP is 100% against female genital mutilation, but suggested that if people are going to do it anyways, to please use a less "mutilating" technique.

One of my pet peeves is when people try to discredit an entire group or professional agency simply by digging up some headline-grabber that is not quite as preposterous as it appears. Did you read the abstract?

"The American Academy of Pediatrics opposes all types of female genital cutting that pose risks of physical or psychological harm, counsels its members not to perform such procedures, recommends that its members actively seek to dissuade families from carrying out harmful forms of FGC, and urges its members to provide patients and their parents with compassionate education about the harms of FGC while remaining sensitive to the cultural and religious reasons that motivate parents to seek this procedure for their daughters."

Uh, did you listen to the podcast? The one where a representative of the American Academy of Pediatrics states that doctors could be allowed to cut a portion of a baby's clitoris to appease families who do it on the basis of "cultural traditions"?

The attention-grabbing headline, in this case, is absolutely accurate. The AAP endorsed (listen to the podcast, there's no getting around it) a form of clitoral mutilation, then quickly backtracked because, you know, it's a fucking stupid thing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:38 pm 
Force of Nature

No, I read the STATEMENT, because that is all that matters. If you read the statement, there is no "backtracking", they clearly, unequivocally say that they do not endorse it. So a singular representative clearly misspoke and THAT is enough for you to discredit the whole AAP?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:44 pm 
Coast to Coast

track12 wrote:
No, I read the STATEMENT, because that is all that matters. If you read the statement, there is no "backtracking", they clearly, unequivocally say that they do not endorse it. So a singular representative clearly misspoke and THAT is enough for you to discredit the whole AAP?

The version of the statement you quoted is the amended statement, issued after the controversy, which includes the addition of an extra clause:

Listen to the podcast, there is no misspeaking. She is clearly stating AAP policies. The word "compromise" is used generously.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:58 pm 
Coast to Coast

Anyway, I don't know that anyone will be dissuaded in any direction in this conversation. AAP stated a position that goes against the choices made by most of the civilized world, and an increasing number of Americans. Fair enough. It's easier for me to sit here in indignant outrage and say "this is ridiculous, this is all about money, the AAP sucks, look at this, these guys are destroying babies" than it is to acknowledge that this is a cultural divide that I can't quite wrap my brain around. At the end of the day, it sounds like neither party wants to believe it's their dick that looks freaky and weird.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:57 pm 
Force of Nature

theplatypus wrote:
The version of the statement you quoted is the amended statement, issued after the controversy, which includes the addition of an extra clause:

The bolded clause that you claim is a "gotcha!" is rather extraneous. It is quite clear, even in the absence of that clause, that they do not "endorse" any version of FGC. Again, what ONE representative said on a podcast is not horribly interesting to me. What is relevant is the statement from the Academy. That is what we are debating re: male circ, and I don't care to mince (ha!) words regarding what a rep said.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:00 pm 
Force of Nature

To be clear, as I've said before, I don't necessarily 100% agree with the AAP circ position. I just think that trying to discredit all AAP positions by pouncing on a podcast is a tactic I usually see in the context of political posturing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:03 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

theplatypus wrote:
At the end of the day, it sounds like neither party wants to believe it's their dick that looks freaky and weird.

This is what it comes down to.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Everytime I see this thread title, I picture two people fighting over a foreskin.

ok, go on...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 pm 
a joke

cutuphalfdead wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
At the end of the day, it sounds like neither party wants to believe it's their dick that looks freaky and weird.

This is what it comes down to.

Fuck that, I just want to abuse my kids.*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

knee tunes wrote:
Everytime I see this thread title, I picture two people fighting over a foreskin.

ok, go on...

A sword fight? :wink:

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them" -Karl Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:20 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Hallucination wrote:
knee tunes wrote:

ok, go on...

A sword fight? :wink:

the irony is exponential

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:31 pm 
Force of Nature

YUMMY!

The New York City Board of Health unanimously passed a regulation on Thursday that will require consent from parents before an infant can have a form of Jewish ritual circumcision, prevalent in parts of the ultra-Orthodox community, in which the circumciser uses his mouth to remove blood from the incision.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/nyreg ... l.html?hpw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 pm 
Coast to Coast

Holy fuck.

(This is interesting, I just watched it last night. SUPER NSFW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73FmTuGk9w )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:59 pm 
statistically insignificant

snip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:01 pm 
Unthought Known

Can you just describe the video to me, Jorge?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 460 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate