Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject: Hello mr pot, meet mr kettle....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:29 pm 
In a van down by the river

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=1&u=/ap/20041018/ap_on_el_pr/bush_10
AP: Bush Faults Kerry for Scare Tactics

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE - President Bush (news - web sites) on Monday accused Democratic rival Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) of "shameless scare tactics" by suggesting that the president would jeopardize Social Security (news - web sites) for older Americans and bring back the military draft for young people.

Bush, in an Associated Press interview, said of Kerry, "He's trying to scare our seniors. It is wrong to try to scare people going into the polls."

The Republican incumbent said Kerry's charges were just "old-style politics."

Kerry said Sunday that Bush was planning a "January surprise" attempt to privatize Social Security if re-elected. As for reviving the draft to replenish U.S. forces in Iraq (news - web sites), the Democrat told The Des Moines Register last week that, "With George Bush (news - web sites), the plan for Iraq is more of the same and the great potential of a draft."

Bush said it was inappropriate for Kerry to mention in the final debate that Mary Cheney, daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites), is a lesbian in response to a question on whether homosexuality is a choice.

"I thought it was over the line," the president said.

The commander in chief declined to comment on the controversy surrounding a National Guard unit from South Carolina that refused to follow orders in Iraq, calling it a "lone example" and he has decided to "let the military look at the incident."

Three months before Iraq holds its first free election, Bush said the United States would have to live with whatever the outcome is. Asked if the people of Iraq choose an Islamic fundamental government someday, Bush said, "I would be disappointed but democracy is democracy. If that's what the people choose, that's what the people choose."

Bush said the United States will remain "on alert" about the possibility of a terrorist strike on U.S. soil before the election, but said, "we have no specific threat information on that. Otherwise, we would have let people know."

"The United States and other countries have been concerned about the possibility of an election-related terrorist strike ever since the Madrid bombings," said the president, who added that he had taken part in a National Security Council meeting earlier in the day to talk about threat information.

Last March, 191 people in Madrid were killed in terrorist bombings just three days before Spain's elections.

The president also said he hoped that that there would not be a repeat of the Electoral College (news - web sites) mess four years ago that required a long recount and a decision by the Supreme Court before the winner of the race was decided. Laughing, he said, "I hope not," when asked about the possibility of another impasse.

The Republican said he was trying to turn out as many voters as possible to prevent that occurrence.

With a little more than two weeks to the election, Bush was campaigning in New Jersey, a reliably Democratic state that was hit hard when terrorists struck the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

The Bush campaign unveiled a new TV ad that sought to portray Kerry as weak on terrorism — "either we fight terrorists abroad or face them here" — and accuses the Democrat of opposing President Reagan "as he won the Cold War."

Nearly 700 New Jersey residents died when hijacked airplanes flew into the World Trade Center's twin towers, and polls show national security and terrorism are the top campaign issues among voters in the state.

Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) easily won New Jersey in 2000, but voters' worry about another terrorist attack is a key reason why Bush and Kerry are locked in a tight race for the state's 15 electoral votes.

"From a lot of places in New Jersey you could see the Towers," Karl Rove, Bush's chief political adviser, told reporters at a weekend campaign rally in West Palm Beach, Fla.

"A lot of people in New Jersey, a lot of communities in New Jersey felt personally the sting of 9/11. I think that has made them more sensitive — as we get close to the end — about the question of who will make America safer."

You can't see downtown Manhattan from Marlton, a city in southern New Jersey where Bush will speak, but it's within the Philadelphia media market and Pennsylvania is a state where the candidates are competing head-to-head too.

Kerry adviser Joe Lockhart says New Jersey is an interesting place for the president to campaign because its two senators and former Gov. Thomas Kean, chairman of the bipartisan Sept. 11 commission, have complained that Bush hasn't done enough to push the panel's recommendations into law.

Before leaving for New Jersey, Bush signed a bill giving the Department of Homeland Security about $33 billion for the budget year that began Oct. 1.

The tab was nearly $900 million more than Bush requested of Congress. It included $1.1 billion in grants to states based on population, $400 million more than he wanted. But its $875 million for cities considered attractive targets for terrorists was nearly $600 million below Bush's request. In addition, it provided $3.6 billion for police and other emergency responders — about $500 million less than last year's total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:35 pm 
Of Counsel

I agree, Peeps.

These guys have both lost the standing to accuse the other of using fear in their campaign advertising.

--PunkDavid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:52 pm 
Unthought Known

Shameless hypocrisy on Bush's part.

I agree with you, PunkDavid.

yieldgirl wrote:
I look a like slut trying to have my boobs all sticking out and shit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:58 pm 
The Man, The Myth
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, it's all pretty silly. And the whole draft issue is really the epitome of how absurd things are. First, we have Kerry implying that Bush is likely to re-institute the draft. Then we have Bush who, rather than just dismiss those statements, actually says that the draft would be less likely to be instituted if he was president.

It's all very amusing. But the sad part is that if a candidate doesn't try these backhanded tactics, they have no shot at all. Voters can say all they want about not wanting negative politics, but in the end it's all that people remember.

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate