Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:56 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

Zutballs wrote:
What do you know about Powerball, my friend?

Beat you to it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:56 pm 
Administrator

Quote:
Got any Powerball numbers by any chance?

Quote:

:shock:

This thread is just getting wierder and wierder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:01 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Gimme Some Skin wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
So I should cancel my vacation to Jerusalem, then?

Hell, no!! There is going to be four horsemen and dragons and all kinds of shit!!

That's not something you see every day.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:26 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

*weirder

*weirder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:44 pm 
Administrator

Zutballs wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

*weirder

*weirder

i before e, except after c :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:59 pm 
High Roller
 WWW  Profile

cockie doodie

RM Led Zeppelin Tourney Champ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:05 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Clubber wrote:
cockie doodie

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:00 pm 
Got Some

I don't know if 8/22 will hold any significance. If it does, then it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
We will have to deal with the Iranian regime sooner or later. IslamoFascism cannot be allowed to march across the Middle East and threaten the rest of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:04 pm 
Of Counsel

LeninFlux wrote:
I don't know if 8/22 will hold any significance. If it does, then it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
We will have to deal with the Iranian regime sooner or later. IslamoFascism cannot be allowed to march across the Middle East and threaten the rest of the world.

Just stop with the Islamo-Fascism shit. You sound like an idiot, and from other posts you obviously aren't one. It is not your duty to spread the new lexicon of the right to the masses at RM.

Talk issues, not spin. I prefer "Islamic Radicalism" if you want a new term that is both specific and correct. We've already adequately shown why using "Fascism" is only inflammatory and is completely inaccurate in it's definition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 pm 
Got Some

punkdavid wrote:
LeninFlux wrote:

Just stop with the Islamo-Fascism shit. You sound like an idiot, and from other posts you obviously aren't one. It is not your duty to spread the new lexicon of the right to the masses at RM.

Talk issues, not spin. I prefer "Islamic Radicalism" if you want a new term that is both specific and correct. We've already adequately shown why using "Fascism" is only inflammatory and is completely inaccurate in it's definition.

Merriam-Webster defines fascism as - "a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Does this describes some of the regimes in the Middle East? In regards to the phrase, does the pretext (their skewed view of the teachings of Islam) of religion fit?

Anyway, I suppose this is a matter of opionion.

In regards to offending the masses at RM with "the lexicon of the right," I apologize. Are there other terms I should avoid using? I'm not being sarcastic - I did not come here to offend anyone. If there are other terms that are associated with the right wing that you don't want used, let me know and I'll avoid them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:25 pm 
Of Counsel

LeninFlux wrote:
Merriam-Webster defines fascism as - "a political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition.

Does this describes some of the regimes in the Middle East? In regards to the phrase, does the pretext (their skewed view of the teachings of Islam) of religion fit?

Yeah, it does fit the regimes of the Middle East, many of them, BUT THAT IS NOT WHO WE ARE FIGHTING. The terrorists, who are outside the system, outside the government, outside of economic and social regimentation, outside of dictatorial leaders and centralized autocratic government, they are the THREAT.

The reason we have been failing so miserably in fighting them is because the dipshits in power in our country view them as fascists, when they are FAR from it. The operate in independent cells, taking orders in a very loose manner, if at all, from higher powers. There is no dictator, there is no country, there is no centralization, there are no economic or social constraints. There is a philosophy (that is not universal by any means), there is an exaltation of religion, but not race. The differences FAR outweigh any similarities.

Islamic extremism. Islamic radicalism. Violent Islamic killers. Any of those terms is more descriptive of the enemy than "Islamo-fascists". It's just garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:38 pm 
Got Some

punkdavid wrote:
LeninFlux wrote:

Yeah, it does fit the regimes of the Middle East, many of them, BUT THAT IS NOT WHO WE ARE FIGHTING. The terrorists, who are outside the system, outside the government, outside of economic and social regimentation, outside of dictatorial leaders and centralized autocratic government, they are the THREAT.

With all due respect, you've never heard of "state-sponsored terrorism?" Yes, many terrorists work outside of the system (of government), but many governments sponsor these groups in different ways. Example? Hezbollah, terrorist-arm of Iran and Syria.

When President Bush said "with us or with the terrorists," he was referring to state-sponsored terrorism in all its forms. If you abide a terrorist group in your country, then you are abedding them and will be held accountable.

Anyway, I will refrain from using that phrase. If there are any others you deem to be intolerable, let me know. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:50 pm 
Of Counsel

LeninFlux wrote:
With all due respect, you've never heard of "state-sponsored terrorism?" Yes, many terrorists work outside of the system (of government), but many governments sponsor these groups in different ways. Example? Hezbollah, terrorist-arm of Iran and Syria.

Iran and Syria aid Hezbollah, but Hezbollah is not an arm of the Syrian or Iranian governments (two governements that I do think the label fascist could be applied). If Syria asked Hezbollah to take terrorist action against another party that was not Israel, or did not pose a threat to Lebanese Shi'ites, I doubt Hezbollah would do it. Hezbollah has a mission, a philosophy, a charter. Syria funds their actions, but they don't dictate them. If Syria changed its policy to become more open and democratic and make peace with Israel and the west, much like Jordan or another moderate nation in the area, Hezbollah would not cease to be, they'd just find a new patron.

Quote:
When President Bush said "with us or with the terrorists," he was referring to state-sponsored terrorism in all its forms. If you abide a terrorist group in your country, then you are abedding them and will be held accountable.

Irrelevant. Just because a nation is a) fascist and b) supports terrorists does not make the terrorists fascists. It's trying to make two different problems into one, and the approaches to dealing with the two problems are so different that you can't have one approach fits all.

Quote:
Anyway, I will refrain from using that phrase. If there are any others you deem to be intolerable, let me know. Thanks.

You can use it, but I'll call you an idiot when you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:36 am 
Got Some

Iran's leader is an idiot who does not know what he's getting his country into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:12 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

Getting back to the original post, I am really curious to know where all of this is coming from. I heard basically this exact same thing the other night from my fiance's Mom and Step-Dad. While her Step-Dad is pretty darn conservative, he's probably my favorite person to talk current events with. He gives me perspective that I wouldn't normally have and vice versa, and normally most of what he says sounds pretty reasonable or plausible, even if I don't agree with it. However, he hit me with this whole thing about Iran, 8/22, Islamofascism and Israel and I honestly didn't know what to say. Reading almost the same identical thing here shows me that it's obviously being pumped out there by someone, and I'd like to know who.

Fear of failure's all you've started,
The jury is in, verdict:
Retarded

Winner of the 2008 STP Song Tournament

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:34 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

maybe i should start packing my bug out bag.

i mean, aug 22nd is just around the corner..... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:34 am 
Unthought Known

*thinks* drilling for fear makes the job simple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:42 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Mercury wrote:
Getting back to the original post, I am really curious to know where all of this is coming from. I heard basically this exact same thing the other night from my fiance's Mom and Step-Dad. While her Step-Dad is pretty darn conservative, he's probably my favorite person to talk current events with. He gives me perspective that I wouldn't normally have and vice versa, and normally most of what he says sounds pretty reasonable or plausible, even if I don't agree with it. However, he hit me with this whole thing about Iran, 8/22, Islamofascism and Israel and I honestly didn't know what to say. Reading almost the same identical thing here shows me that it's obviously being pumped out there by someone, and I'd like to know who.

The same folks who brought you Y2K!

I sent men to their doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:16 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

hey davejeni, post on some other topics. I'd love your opinions on other news pieces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:21 am 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

They have to start striking up some more fear somehow so people vote Republican come Election Day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate