Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:19 am 
Administrator

Why do we care what Westboro Baptist Church does? They're like little kids who only keep causing trouble because everybody pays attention to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:10 am 
Unthought Known

flavdave wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Is it because VT is a private school that they have "rent a cops"? As far as I'm aware, all public Universities in California have their own police departments, and go to the same county academies as county officers. Additionally, they all have AR-15s and shotguns in their cruisers, in addition to their sidearms. Is this typical of other state schools?

Tech is a public school with a real police force. They're not rent-a-cops.

Thanks for the clarification - perhaps others were speaking only of their own schools. I imagine it would be the general trend that public schools would have state police officers, who would likely have the training and equipment necessary for this sort of situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:51 am 
Got Some

simple schoolboy wrote:
flavdave wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
Is it because VT is a private school that they have "rent a cops"? As far as I'm aware, all public Universities in California have their own police departments, and go to the same county academies as county officers. Additionally, they all have AR-15s and shotguns in their cruisers, in addition to their sidearms. Is this typical of other state schools?

Tech is a public school with a real police force. They're not rent-a-cops.

Thanks for the clarification - perhaps others were speaking only of their own schools. I imagine it would be the general trend that public schools would have state police officers, who would likely have the training and equipment necessary for this sort of situation.

considering this was the largest mass killing in u.s. history, i wonder what the most "trained" cops in the country could have/would have done differently. i'm not criticizing you or anyone else, i'd just be curious to know what the "standard operating procedure" is for a situation like this (the situation being right after the first two victims were found).

regarding the comparison between the red sox gathering and this, i see some huge differences: the number of people involved and forewarning. its easy for a police department to mobilize when somebody calls in and says "hey, there are a bunch of no good, punk college students massing out here" vs. "i've found two of my friends dead in a dorm room".

just thinking about this has made me form a question in my head: would any/everybody support increased security and/or police presence on college campuses across the country (meaniing more tax $$$)? personally, i think the powers-that-be dramatically increasing funding for campus security would be a rash, knee-jerk reaction that isn't warranted. i'm by no means a security expert, but the logistics of "securing" the average campus gives me a headache and makes me very wary of civil liberties, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:52 am 
Got Some

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Why do we care what Westboro Baptist Church does? They're like little kids who only keep causing trouble because everybody pays attention to them.

ya but still they are going to a fucking funeral of the family of a greiving child, thats just fucking horrific. I hear they are going to do it somewhere in goergia or south carolina. a group of kids from my school are goign to counter protest.

http://www.jason-stallings.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:03 am 
Interweb Celebrity

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070420/ap_ ... ng_weapons

McLEAN, Va. - A judge's ruling on Cho Seung-Hui's mental health should have barred him from purchasing the handguns he used in the Virginia Tech massacre, according to federal regulations. But it was unclear Thursday whether anybody had an obligation to inform federal authorities about Cho's mental status because of loopholes in the law that governs background checks.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:25 am 
Spambot

Junco Partner wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

ya but still they are going to a fucking funeral of the family of a greiving child, thats just fucking horrific. I hear they are going to do it somewhere in goergia or south carolina. a group of kids from my school are goign to counter protest.

Why doesn't anyone break into a church and gun them all down?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 am 
Spaceman

invention wrote:
truly disgusting

Anti-gay group to protest VTech funerals

from CBS.com

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech student responsible for the killings who took his own life after the shootings, was sent by God to punish those he killed, and America as a whole, for moral decline, said Phelps-Roper, while adding that she believes Cho is also in hell for violating God’s commandment to not kill.

“He is in hell,” Phelps-Roper said. “But he was also fulfilling the word of God.”

Because of its virulent anti-gay message and condemnation of Catholics, Jews and other groups, the WBC has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League.

Curtis Dahn, the president of Virginia Tech’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance, said he reacted with immediate disgust upon hearing of the WBC's plans. “Thirty-three people are dead and they’re using people’s deaths and people’s grief to further their own agenda and it’s just disgusting,” he said.

Dahn was friends with Ryan Clark, a resident assistant in Ambler Johnston Hall, who was among the first people killed on Monday. He said he is working with other university leaders and officials to form a response to the WBC. Ideally, he said, the funerals will be nothing more than a chance for family and friends to mourn in peace.

“Part of it is that I don’t want the families to be affected by this at all,” he said. “I don’t even want the funerals’ locations to be public knowledge. I don’t want a protest, I don’t want a counter-protest. I want people to be able to grieve and have what they want, not be made into public displays and mockeries.”

Dahn and others may have the law on their side. In 2006, in response to protests at the funerals of dead U.S. soldiers, Virginia enacted a law that added funerals and memorial services to the state’s disorderly conduct statute. Other states have adopted similar measures to allow police to keep WBC protesters out of earshot.

that's one of the most abhorrent things i have ever heard in my entire life.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:14 am 
Of Counsel

Merrill wrote:
Junco Partner wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

You're closer than I am...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:22 am 
Spambot

punkdavid wrote:
Merrill wrote:
Junco Partner wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

Yeah, but I don't have terminal cancer yet. I think I'll break my "shoot only if shot at" rule only then, and until then, I can keep on hoping that someone insane over a funeral or some nutbag thinking he's there to take them directly to Heaven on God's orders will scatter their guts to the wall, Kill Bill style. I do desperately want these people to die for what they believe in, but I wouldn't pull the trigger, nor would I stand for a government that makes laws against their filth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:39 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Merrill wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
Merrill wrote:
Junco Partner wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

Yeah, but I don't have terminal cancer yet. I think I'll break my "shoot only if shot at" rule only then, and until then, I can keep on hoping that someone insane over a funeral or some nutbag thinking he's there to take them directly to Heaven on God's orders will scatter their guts to the wall, Kill Bill style. I do desperately want these people to die for what they believe in, but I wouldn't pull the trigger, nor would I stand for a government that makes laws against their filth.

Why? They have their beliefs, and are passionate about it. They aren't violent at all. They do what they do to get attention. Bad taste? Yes. Deserve to die? No

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:44 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

vacatetheword wrote:
invention wrote:
truly disgusting

from CBS.com

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech student responsible for the killings who took his own life after the shootings, was sent by God to punish those he killed, and America as a whole, for moral decline, said Phelps-Roper, while adding that she believes Cho is also in hell for violating God’s commandment to not kill.

“He is in hell,” Phelps-Roper said. “But he was also fulfilling the word of God.”

Because of its virulent anti-gay message and condemnation of Catholics, Jews and other groups, the WBC has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League.

Curtis Dahn, the president of Virginia Tech’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance, said he reacted with immediate disgust upon hearing of the WBC's plans. “Thirty-three people are dead and they’re using people’s deaths and people’s grief to further their own agenda and it’s just disgusting,” he said.

Dahn was friends with Ryan Clark, a resident assistant in Ambler Johnston Hall, who was among the first people killed on Monday. He said he is working with other university leaders and officials to form a response to the WBC. Ideally, he said, the funerals will be nothing more than a chance for family and friends to mourn in peace.

“Part of it is that I don’t want the families to be affected by this at all,” he said. “I don’t even want the funerals’ locations to be public knowledge. I don’t want a protest, I don’t want a counter-protest. I want people to be able to grieve and have what they want, not be made into public displays and mockeries.”

Dahn and others may have the law on their side. In 2006, in response to protests at the funerals of dead U.S. soldiers, Virginia enacted a law that added funerals and memorial services to the state’s disorderly conduct statute. Other states have adopted similar measures to allow police to keep WBC protesters out of earshot.

WTF

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:45 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

JimNasium wrote:
Merrill wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
Merrill wrote:
Junco Partner wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

Why? They have their beliefs, and are passionate about it. They aren't violent at all. They do what they do to get attention. Bad taste? Yes. Deserve to die? No

Death would be too kind for people such as this. A weekend at a S&M show in San Francisco would be far better.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:10 am 
Supersonic

vacatetheword wrote:
invention wrote:
truly disgusting

from CBS.com

W3RD...

How shitty...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:50 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 YIM  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
vacatetheword wrote:
invention wrote:
truly disgusting

from CBS.com

W3RD...

How shitty...

its so frustrating to realize how fucked up the world can be...it also makes my heart ache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:15 pm 
Needs to start paying for bandwidth

http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/vie ... hp?t=64264

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:05 pm 
Back from the dead

oh my god, FUCK WESTBORO AND THEIR STUPID NARROW MINDED BULLSHIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:53 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

Quote:

If I understand this correctly, if I take a gun and kill every single one of these morons, I would have made the proof they're not Christian ? right ? because God does not do that to his servants

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:59 pm 

BadMusic wrote:
Quote:

If I understand this correctly, if I take a gun and kill every single one of these morons, I would have made the proof they're not Christian ? right ? because God does not do that to his servants

heh, yeah pretty much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:22 pm 

WBC cancels funeral disturbances

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

conoalias wrote:

how nice of them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate