Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:16 pm 
Unthought Known

LittleWing wrote:
Quote:
You make it sound so simple, but when is the last time the VT police dealt with MURDER?

At SIU, a very similar sized school, the police force was a joke. They rode around on bikes and chased you for riding your bikes in WALK ONLY zones. Hell, their best weapon was a walkie-talkie. - pearljamminagain

Yeah, you're right. That's why I refer to them as "rent-a-cops." That's really what most of them are. If they are anything like the rent-a-cops at RIT, they are pathetic wastes of excuses for security people. I used to LOVE harrassing them on my rollerblades, making fun of them and whatnot.

But at the same rate...and I really hate to do this...but just to illustrate.

Nothing's happened here in Djibouti. Nobody's been shot at. There's been no violence towards us. Nothing of the sort. But I'm still of the opinion that I must prepare myself for something to happen here. I must be prepared for that, and the people in charge of me should be prepared for that. Granted, the odds of a murder happening on campus are much more slim than this base getting hit tomorrow, but I still think that the people in charge have some responsibility to plan, and be able to make competent, well informed, decisive decisions should that worse case scenario happen.

It's rare, but there's still that chance.

At SUNY Brockport a few years ago, they were facing a serial rapist or murderer, can't remember. It was a serial violent crimest nonetheless.

For a while, it made the surrounding campuses in western New York take a look at campus security issues, and weapons carrying policies. Sadly, things have gotten lax and many campuses won't allow cops on campus with guns, and won't let campus security carry guns either.

Some people on this forum want guns because of all the crazies out there. Well, campus security folk need to be on guard because of all the crazies out there too.

Is it because VT is a private school that they have "rent a cops"? As far as I'm aware, all public Universities in California have their own police departments, and go to the same county academies as county officers. Additionally, they all have AR-15s and shotguns in their cruisers, in addition to their sidearms. Is this typical of other state schools?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:50 pm 
Supersonic

punkdavid wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Sorry bud, but this isn't a small city. Regardless of size, it's still a SCHOOL CAMPUS.

Just for perspective, how big was the college you attended?

Mine was about 2100 students. Very small, smaller than many high schools, but still spread out over a few hundred acres with dozens of buildings, and a wide perimeter with at least four automobile access points and innumerable pedestrian access points.

When you're talking about a university of the size of VT, I think the comparison to a small city is more apt than to a "school" when it comes to security.

I'm thinking...in between. My school is of comparable size to VT. It's smaller, but not by much. It wouldn't call RIT a "school" when it comes to security. But I wouldn't call it a "small city" either. So far as security is concerned, it's kind of a hybrid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:07 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Sorry bud, but this isn't a small city. Regardless of size, it's still a SCHOOL CAMPUS.

Just for perspective, how big was the college you attended?

Mine was about 2100 students. Very small, smaller than many high schools, but still spread out over a few hundred acres with dozens of buildings, and a wide perimeter with at least four automobile access points and innumerable pedestrian access points.

When you're talking about a university of the size of VT, I think the comparison to a small city is more apt than to a "school" when it comes to security.

I'm thinking...in between. My school is of comparable size to VT. It's smaller, but not by much. It wouldn't call RIT a "school" when it comes to security. But I wouldn't call it a "small city" either. So far as security is concerned, it's kind of a hybrid.

With regards to future security measures, this is the biggest debate IMO.

for the record, I went to Northeastern University in the heart of Boston (approx 16k students). Several homicides have taken place on campus over the years but no evacuation protocols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:31 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I have 2 friends that go to school at VT, and one of their dorm rooms is two floors above the shooting, where two of his friends were killed. I think it's a terrible thing that happened. I dunno I feel like I have a lot of input on this but getting into it all is too complicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:35 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I don't have too much problem with the way the police handled the situation. The thought they had the situation in hand, obviously they didn't, but as some others have mentioned you can't have a lock down everytime someone is raped or murdered. Especially when you have a "person of interest" in custody. There was no indication or precedent for the murderer of the first couple to go on a rampage. I can't think of another incident where two people were murdered and then the killer went on a massacre two hours later at a nearby location.

Secondly - I think NBC blew it. I'm not suprised they aired the video, but I really wish they hadn't. I think if they'd of just handed the package over to the FBI it wouldn't have gotten out any time soon. The Columbine killers made videos too, but by the time they were in the public view it was so long after the incident no one really gave a shit. In this case, it was too quick. Cho essentially got what he wished for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:42 pm 
Of Counsel

Obviously there's going to be a lot of debate about the NBC decision, but it's interesting to see that the debate doesn't seem to have any ideological bent (as might be expected by conservative critics of NBC News).

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archiv ... ers_video/

Should NBC Have Aired the Va Tech Killer’s Video?
By James Joyner

Hugh Hewitt strenuously objects to NBC’s decision to air the video made by Virginia Tech mass murderer Cho Seung-Hi, implying in his title that it may have been “The Single Worst Editorial Decision In The History Of Broadcast News.”

Quote:
Soon after the press conference at which it was disclosed that NBC had received a package of print, photos and video materials from the Virginia Tech murderer, I interviewed Howard Kurtz about how NBC should handle it. (The transcript will be here later this evening.) We quickly agreed that any video should not be shown, and while I think that Howard thought perhaps a picture could be aired, I and the live audience I was broadcasting in front of disagreed. I would have published –instantly– the text of the killer’s statement’s for the public to read, but I would have denied the killer the instant video glorification he so obviously desired, an immortalization which other deranged killers of the future will almost certainly seek to emulate. NBC decided differently.

He’s got a point. Then again, one could argue that about any footage of terrorist attacks and coverage of still-on-the-loose serial killers. Should the networks have not aired the collapse of the World Trade Center so as to deny the terrorists an undeniable propaganda victory?

I’d say not. While Cho obviously wanted the video run, it’s not NBC’s job to spite him; rather, it is to report the news to their audience. Undeniably, the content of the video is news.

Further, while there’s such a thing as copycat crimes, I’m skeptical of the claim that people who would otherwise have led peaceful lives are going to be inspired to mass murder by the lure of 15 minutes of fame.

UPDATE: Here’s the video in question via YouTube.

UPDATE: WaPo’s Howie Kurtz and Bill Carterof the NYT weigh in.

Kurtz describes how NBC agonized over the decision and cooperated with authorities:

Quote:
After turning over the original documents to federal authorities, NBC News President Steve Capus said last night, he faced a “tough call” in deciding how much to air, if any, of the Virginia Tech gunman’s expletive-filled video and 1,800-word letter, along with photos of Cho and his guns and bullets.

“We tried to be sensitive to the families involved and to the investigation,” Capus said in an interview. While it is “possible” that some relatives of the 32 students shot to death Monday may say that the network is giving the killer the platform he wanted, “they also may say, ‘We want to know why. We need to know what was in his head, what drove him to do this.' This is a portrait of a killer.”

Capus said Virginia State Police officials, in a conversation about noon, asked NBC to “hold off” on releasing the material until they had a chance to review the material. The state authorities gave NBC the green light about 4:30, saying it would not jeopardize the probe. The network aired portions of the video and note on “NBC Nightly News” at 6:30.

Anchor Brian Williams told viewers: “We are sensitive to how all of this will be seen by those affected, and we know we are, in effect, airing the words of a murderer here tonight. . . . So much of it is so profane, so downright gross and incomprehensible. We tried to edit carefully for broadcast tonight.” The segment was posted on http://msnbc.com.

Carter focuses on the mechanics of the process more so than the ethics, noting “NBC executives had no explanation for why the network was singled out to receive the package, and nothing in the materials explained the action. Nothing on the envelope or in the package cited a specific individual at NBC.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:00 pm 
Johnny Guitar

SmileInMyTree wrote:
I have 2 friends that go to school at VT, and one of their dorm rooms is two floors above the shooting, where two of his friends were killed. I think it's a terrible thing that happened. I dunno I feel like I have a lot of input on this but getting into it all is too complicated.

Take your time, but do find somewhere/someway to sort through it. I think the past few days have made it very evident that finding a means of expressing and/or coming to terms with whats bouncing around inside your head is a very essential aspect of being. Im sure everyone here would value your input. If you dont feel comfortable, find some means you are comfortable with. I dont agree with everything that has been posted here, but reading other's input has helped me to define my own perspective. I am sorry to read that you are having a tough time with this and I wish you the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:02 pm 
Unthought Known

mongoloid wrote:
The Columbine killers made videos too, but by the time they were in the public view it was so long after the incident no one really gave a shit. In this case, it was too quick. Cho essentially got what he wished for.

Today one of my students said something about the Columbine killers being gay. Anyway, I never heard much about that so I did a search and wound up finding transcripts of these videos you are talking about. I read about a paragraph and realized I didn't care much about it now. But, if those videos had aired right after the attack, those kids would have gotten what Cho got.

That's the worst part. Cho got his wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:13 pm 
Johnny Guitar

pearljamminagain wrote:
mongoloid wrote:
The Columbine killers made videos too, but by the time they were in the public view it was so long after the incident no one really gave a shit. In this case, it was too quick. Cho essentially got what he wished for.

Today one of my students said something about the Columbine killers being gay. Anyway, I never heard much about that so I did a search and wound up finding transcripts of these videos you are talking about. I read about a paragraph and realized I didn't care much about it now. But, if those videos had aired right after the attack, those kids would have gotten what Cho got.

Im torn on this one, sort of having my own little mini debate.

I agree Cho wanted the thing aired and I hate that this wish was satisfied. I do think that if it was released a month or whatever from now that it would have less impact and people would not care as much.

Then again, I also think having it aired, without editing and thoughts that maybe the media doctored it, helps calm the lust for this topic and helps people move on. I do think, if not for the packet, people would continue to debate his motives, etc and speculation over what the packet contained would dominate discussion, giving the story even more legs...and we would all be complaining b/c we felt someone was keeping something from us.

Anyway, gonna sit here on the fence for a little while longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:20 pm 
Unthought Known

tbeals13 wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
mongoloid wrote:

Im torn on this one, sort of having my own little mini debate.

I agree Cho wanted the thing aired and I hate that this wish was satisfied. I do think that if it was released a month or whatever from now that it would have less impact and people would not care as much.

Then again, I also think having it aired, without editing and thoughts that maybe the media doctored it, helps calm the lust for this topic and helps people move on. I do think, if not for the packet, people would continue to debate his motives, etc and speculation over what the packet contained would dominate discussion, giving the story even more legs...and we would all be complaining b/c we felt someone was keeping something from us.

Anyway, gonna sit here on the fence for a little while longer.

It wouldn't have taken Sherlock Holmes to figure out what this guy was about. I haven't even seen the video :oops: , but it seems to me that the sentiments about this sob are the same today as they were before the video was released. It doesn't feel like anything has changed other than NBC's ratings.

Okay, now I need to run off and see the video. :? I already read his pathetic excuse of a screenplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:30 pm 
Unthought Known

Wow. After watching it I have to say that it showed me absolutely nothing I didn't already know.

Please, pd and anyone else who thinks this was worth airing, tell me what you learned. I have to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:31 pm 
Devil's Advocate

LittleWing wrote:
What do cops do in a small city of 37,000 when someone gets murderd.

* They gather information
* They inform the public, and if they don't know who is the killer or why, they tell them to stay put.
* They set up perimeters, and vehicle checkpoints. In rural area's they send out road blocks.

One of those 3 is correct, the second one is plausible, the third is ridiculously funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:38 pm 
Devil's Advocate

Sunny wrote:
Athletic Supporter wrote:
I'm going to call hindsight 20/20 BS on you regarding this one.

Up until Monday, there was absolutely no precedent for this. You don't do a mass evacuation of a campus the size of a small city because you find 2 people dead. I'm sorry, but that's crap. If this were the case, you would find police evacuating neighborhoods every time a dead body was found.

What's your point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:54 pm 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

This is my take on the whole "should they have shut down the campus after the first incident" topic.

Last year a female student here at ISU was kidnapped from her apartment on campus. I didnt hear about this incident through a university e-mail, i heard about it through the news, like i would any other incident. Was the campus shut down? No. Was everybody told to be more cautious? Of course. At the time for all anyone knew there could have been a killer on the loose on campus, but no special precautions on campus were took. The only difference between the two situations is that at VT the bodies were there to be seen dead, here the girl was missing. I couldnt image them shutting down the campus because of that.

Its like if there was a murder in a house, would the police shut down all the businesses in the surrounding area because the killer was not yet caught? I highly doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:08 pm 
Of Counsel

pearljamminagain wrote:
Today one of my students said something about the Columbine killers being gay. Anyway, I never heard much about that so I did a search and wound up finding transcripts of these videos you are talking about.

"Rival (aka Growing up gay in Littleton)"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:50 pm 
Johnny Guitar

pearljamminagain wrote:
Wow. After watching it I have to say that it showed me absolutely nothing I didn't already know.

Please, pd and anyone else who thinks this was worth airing, tell me what you learned. I have to know.

I know pd isnt me and he will probably have posted a response by the time I get this typed, but I like this line of discussion. I dont think anyone really learned anything that was not assumed, but I do think having something difinitive out there keeps the story from growing and keeps (insert media outlet here) from running a new story every so often about "shocking insights into the mind of a killer" or something of that vein, where they try to come up with some explaination and the logic, over time, grows less pronounced and the imagination and shock value of their productions have to be emphasized. I agree that nothing that was aired gave any new or unexpected insights, but at least its not a matter of debate or imagination any longer...

Still sitting on the fence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:09 pm 
Supersonic

simple schoolboy wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
Quote:
You make it sound so simple, but when is the last time the VT police dealt with MURDER?

At SIU, a very similar sized school, the police force was a joke. They rode around on bikes and chased you for riding your bikes in WALK ONLY zones. Hell, their best weapon was a walkie-talkie. - pearljamminagain

Yeah, you're right. That's why I refer to them as "rent-a-cops." That's really what most of them are. If they are anything like the rent-a-cops at RIT, they are pathetic wastes of excuses for security people. I used to LOVE harrassing them on my rollerblades, making fun of them and whatnot.

But at the same rate...and I really hate to do this...but just to illustrate.

Nothing's happened here in Djibouti. Nobody's been shot at. There's been no violence towards us. Nothing of the sort. But I'm still of the opinion that I must prepare myself for something to happen here. I must be prepared for that, and the people in charge of me should be prepared for that. Granted, the odds of a murder happening on campus are much more slim than this base getting hit tomorrow, but I still think that the people in charge have some responsibility to plan, and be able to make competent, well informed, decisive decisions should that worse case scenario happen.

It's rare, but there's still that chance.

At SUNY Brockport a few years ago, they were facing a serial rapist or murderer, can't remember. It was a serial violent crimest nonetheless.

For a while, it made the surrounding campuses in western New York take a look at campus security issues, and weapons carrying policies. Sadly, things have gotten lax and many campuses won't allow cops on campus with guns, and won't let campus security carry guns either.

Some people on this forum want guns because of all the crazies out there. Well, campus security folk need to be on guard because of all the crazies out there too.

Is it because VT is a private school that they have "rent a cops"? As far as I'm aware, all public Universities in California have their own police departments, and go to the same county academies as county officers. Additionally, they all have AR-15s and shotguns in their cruisers, in addition to their sidearms. Is this typical of other state schools?

Tech is a public school with a real police force. They're not rent-a-cops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:26 pm 
Supersonic

pearljamminagain wrote:
invention wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
Okay. So:

* Notifying people on campus that there's dead people in a dorm
* Telling them to stay put until police know something
* And setting up entry control points

Has turned into evacuating the campus. Yup. That's exactly what I said I'd do AS.

PD. You are right. VT is not a military base. It's not a city of 37,000 people either. One thing that it is, is a private institution for learning. It's a school.

Two people winding up dead in a dorm is a lot different than two people winding up dead in an apartment complex, or in a middle class neighborhood. To me, two kids dead in dorm certainly rings the bells of "whoever did this might still be on campus."

Seriously. What is irresponnsible or over reactionary to implementing what I said.

What do cops do in a small city of 37,000 when someone gets murderd.

* They gather information
* They inform the public, and if they don't know who is the killer or why, they tell them to stay put.
* They set up perimeters, and vehicle checkpoints. In rural area's they send out road blocks.

At SIU, a very similar sized school, the police force was a joke. They rode around on bikes and chased you for riding your bikes in WALK ONLY zones. Hell, their best weapon was a walkie-talkie.

VT is a large school on a large campus. at UMass-Amherst when a couple hundred kids congregate outside after a Red Sox game, the campus police show up with riot police on horse back, paddy wagons, full riot gear, helicopters, police attack dogs, shields, tear gas bombs, and pellet guns. Thats just over kids throwing toilet paper into trees. VT is more than capable in closing campus and searching for a killer.

Ummm. SIU has nearly the exact same enrollment as VT and is a very large campus.

These kids you talk about are congregating outside a Red Sox game. You think maybe THAT is why the enforcement is so large, not because UMass-Amherst is a security risk? I mean, really, what a horrible analogy you have there.

i was talking about logistics and it wasn't outside a red sox game it was on a college campus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:58 pm 
Supersonic

truly disgusting

Anti-gay group to protest VTech funerals

from CBS.com

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech student responsible for the killings who took his own life after the shootings, was sent by God to punish those he killed, and America as a whole, for moral decline, said Phelps-Roper, while adding that she believes Cho is also in hell for violating God’s commandment to not kill.

“He is in hell,” Phelps-Roper said. “But he was also fulfilling the word of God.”

Because of its virulent anti-gay message and condemnation of Catholics, Jews and other groups, the WBC has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League.

Curtis Dahn, the president of Virginia Tech’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance, said he reacted with immediate disgust upon hearing of the WBC's plans. “Thirty-three people are dead and they’re using people’s deaths and people’s grief to further their own agenda and it’s just disgusting,” he said.

Dahn was friends with Ryan Clark, a resident assistant in Ambler Johnston Hall, who was among the first people killed on Monday. He said he is working with other university leaders and officials to form a response to the WBC. Ideally, he said, the funerals will be nothing more than a chance for family and friends to mourn in peace.

“Part of it is that I don’t want the families to be affected by this at all,” he said. “I don’t even want the funerals’ locations to be public knowledge. I don’t want a protest, I don’t want a counter-protest. I want people to be able to grieve and have what they want, not be made into public displays and mockeries.”

Dahn and others may have the law on their side. In 2006, in response to protests at the funerals of dead U.S. soldiers, Virginia enacted a law that added funerals and memorial services to the state’s disorderly conduct statute. Other states have adopted similar measures to allow police to keep WBC protesters out of earshot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:02 am 
Of Counsel

invention wrote:
truly disgusting

Anti-gay group to protest VTech funerals

from CBS.com

The families of those killed in the Virginia Tech massacre may not be able to grieve in peace at the funerals of those they lost. An anti-gay religious group known for protesting at the funerals of American soldiers killed in Iraq is planning on appearing at services for those killed on Monday as well.

The Topeka, Kan.-based Westboro Baptist Church (WBC), which is not affiliated with any national Baptist organization, announced plans to protest at victims’ funerals only hours after 32 people were killed in the worst mass shooting in U.S. history. They also may protest at other events on the Virginia Tech campus.

The organization, founded and led by Fred Phelps, believes the United States has condemned itself to destruction by accepting homosexuality and other “sins of the flesh.” Phelps’ daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, said the Virginia Tech teachers and students who died on Monday brought their fate upon themselves by not being true Christians.

“The evidence is they were not Christian. God does not do that to his servants,” Phelps-Roper said. “You don’t need to look any further for evidence those people are in hell.”

Cho Seung-Hui, the Virginia Tech student responsible for the killings who took his own life after the shootings, was sent by God to punish those he killed, and America as a whole, for moral decline, said Phelps-Roper, while adding that she believes Cho is also in hell for violating God’s commandment to not kill.

“He is in hell,” Phelps-Roper said. “But he was also fulfilling the word of God.”

Because of its virulent anti-gay message and condemnation of Catholics, Jews and other groups, the WBC has been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center and is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League.

Curtis Dahn, the president of Virginia Tech’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance, said he reacted with immediate disgust upon hearing of the WBC's plans. “Thirty-three people are dead and they’re using people’s deaths and people’s grief to further their own agenda and it’s just disgusting,” he said.

Dahn was friends with Ryan Clark, a resident assistant in Ambler Johnston Hall, who was among the first people killed on Monday. He said he is working with other university leaders and officials to form a response to the WBC. Ideally, he said, the funerals will be nothing more than a chance for family and friends to mourn in peace.

“Part of it is that I don’t want the families to be affected by this at all,” he said. “I don’t even want the funerals’ locations to be public knowledge. I don’t want a protest, I don’t want a counter-protest. I want people to be able to grieve and have what they want, not be made into public displays and mockeries.”

Dahn and others may have the law on their side. In 2006, in response to protests at the funerals of dead U.S. soldiers, Virginia enacted a law that added funerals and memorial services to the state’s disorderly conduct statute. Other states have adopted similar measures to allow police to keep WBC protesters out of earshot.

Yay!!!! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate