Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: What should be done about climate change?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am 
Unthought Known

Man in Black wrote:
broken iris wrote:
Man in Black wrote:

Two degrees (that's centigrade, my dear dumb Americans) is already built into the system. It's time to prepare and adapt, cretin America, and pay for your gluttonous use of fossil fuels.

On a side note, my feet are fucking freezing, I'll take two degrees right now.

I assume that's a typo and you mean "China", as they overtook the US in the mid-2000s and are well on their way to catching up in total historical emissions levels. America still has the best food production system in the world and could withstand project global warming levels, we will survive. We will just have to start producing our own iCrap again.

Actually, and don't tell Matt Damon, carbon emissions in the US are on the decline because of all this natural gas we're getting from frakking. It's a lot cleaner burning energy source than coal. Coal industry isn't doing so well right now :(

Whatever the name of that NPR show about climate was covering a college rally to push students to take an active role in getting their institutions to divest from coal companies, the great evil of the world. This seems like a huge waste of effort because of the above as well as increasingly stringent mercury and soot emissions requirements. Clean coal was never really going to happen so its not like we need to target that either. The American coal miners only hope is that they find an economical way to ship it to China.

I don't imagine we'll be hearing much about peak (insert hydrocarbon) anytime soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:59 pm 
Unthought Known

simple schoolboy wrote:
. The American coal miners only hope is that they find an economical way to ship it to China.

There is overlap in coal production and thorium production. If the government would stop forcing the miners to throw away what could end up being the most useful power source available in the US, the miners might still have a solid future. Until they are replaced by machines.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:44 am 
Interweb Celebrity

I looove coal, I eat it for breakfast every morning. With almond milk.

We gotta watch our backs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate