Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 81  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:21 am 
Banned from the Pit

tsunami wrote:
Pollution is not doing us or any living thing a favor physiologically.

The earth, on the other hand, is quite a bit more resilent than its inhabitants.

The key is to conserve, not waste, and attempt to curb unnecessary pollution, not because of a global warming theory, but rather because it is helpful in keeping us and other living things healthy.

As far as global warming goes, based upon classes I have taken and limited reading on the subject, we are most likely experiencing a natural warming cycle.

Humans are impacting the environment, in terms of polluting lakes, rivers, streams, the oceans, the air, and land. This has a direct effect on creatures and things that live in or off of such things. As far as the global climate is concerned, I am less likely to believe that we have had an impact that large.

However, if we should have, say, a large-scale nuclear exchange (many thousands of warheads for example), I believe a global change could occur. Anything short of that, may not have as dire of consequences as some would have us believe.

Fossil fuels will become scarce down the line anyway, so the argument may become a bit moot eventually.

Well said Tsunami!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:27 am 
Spaceman

Well, since my other thread was locked *shakes fist*

Man in Black, I may be twenty, but I'm also two thirds of my way through a science degree. I don't think my age is a factor at all, because global warming is not a "loony liberal theory" it's a scientific one and we are responsible for the current rate of global warming.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:54 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

vacatetheword wrote:
Well, since my other thread was locked *shakes fist*

Man in Black, I may be twenty, but I'm also two thirds of my way through a science degree. I don't think my age is a factor at all, because global warming is not a "loony liberal theory" it's a scientific one and we are responsible for the current rate of global warming.

*claps hands*

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:27 am 
Stone's Bitch

Man in Black: While I completely agree with your sense to question what the government tells you I tend to think they're correct on this one.

For my job I interact with the people at the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental protection. These guys are just scientists who love their jobs. They get decent pay to build and fix these air monitoring equipment. They collect the data and send it off to the Feds. Just good old public servants. These guys don't have ulterior motives.

Also the whole entire world signed the Kyoto Protocol despite the US not bothering to sign it. I can see if it was a political move to give the American economy a setback but they all SIGNED it despite us not signing. Knowing full well that it might be tough on them and give some American companies a leg up because they don't have to implement costly measures. That tells me they believe what they're saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:30 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

All I know is the Geese that are supposed to be living in the Pacific NORTHWest have moved to the middle of California and taken it over - all the ducks are gone and we're LOADED with Geese that should be hanging out in Washington and Canada.

What's up with that? Do they know something about the weather that we don't?

c-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:41 am 
Stone's Bitch

cltaylor12 wrote:
All I know is the Geese that are supposed to be living in the Pacific NORTHWest have moved to the middle of California and taken it over - all the ducks are gone and we're LOADED with Geese that should be hanging out in Washington and Canada.

c-

Yeah you see, they figured out that people up in Canada eat geese. In California they're hoping they can have a law passed to protect them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:45 am 
Banned from the Pit

gogol wrote:
cltaylor12 wrote:

c-

Yeah you see, they figured out that people up in Canada eat geese. In California they're hoping they can have a law passed to protect them.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:27 am 
Unthought Known

The SF Bay Area used to be an inviting habitat for waterfoul... before we paved over most of the wetlands and/ or turned them into salt ponds and whatnot. As to a big influx of birds, I hadn't heard much about it, and I live near Oakland. Pray, tell more of these canuck birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:10 am 
Spaceman

cltaylor12 wrote:

c-

I would suggest the climate has changed and they are moving to an area which is more suitable. But they could be migrating, I don't know.

To ease the pain of idleness and the memory of decay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:35 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

simple schoolboy wrote:
The SF Bay Area used to be an inviting habitat for waterfoul... before we paved over most of the wetlands and/ or turned them into salt ponds and whatnot. As to a big influx of birds, I hadn't heard much about it, and I live near Oakland. Pray, tell more of these canuck birds.
If you visit Vasona Park on the Campbell/LosGatos border, or even several of the man made parks in Sunnyvale and Mountain View, there is just this huge insurgence of Geese, and significantly less ducks. The ducks appear to be religated to apartment complex fountains and The Delta Queen Car Wash on Bascom and Hamilton in Campbell (on the San Jose border down the street from eBay's campus). That goose call I had at HS graduation 22 years ago would come in handy right about now..... :li:

Just kidding, I've never eaten Goose (nor Duck).

c-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:36 am 
Administrator

Here's another question I have, and it has to do with the Kyoto Protocol:

Developing countries are not listed in the protocol. Would this provide even more of an incentive to outsource industry to places like China or India, where they do not have to worry about emissions?

Also, this would require a longer transportation for the product, and wouldn't that burn more fossil fuels in the process?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:35 am 
Stone's Bitch

Green Habit wrote:
Here's another question I have, and it has to do with the Kyoto Protocol:

Developing countries are not listed in the protocol. Would this provide even more of an incentive to outsource industry to places like China or India, where they do not have to worry about emissions?

Also, this would require a longer transportation for the product, and wouldn't that burn more fossil fuels in the process?

Interesting point and I would say that it may become a factor if energy prices become higher. Right now the largest cost to overcome in manufacturing is the labor. Energy is still really cheap in the US and the third world just doesn't have the resources in terms of power production and infrastructure to make moving to circumvent enviro laws feasible. In the future that may be the case if laws an penalties become so great that it become a major cost in production.

Post subject: Scientists: Global Warming is real
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:34 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

There's been some interesting debate on this forum recently about global warming and its effects and whether or not it all has any validity. I haven't really taken sides although I lean towards the Global Warming theory being real and a great concern. This is from today's CNN.com:

Scientists: Global warming is real

Friday, February 18, 2005 Posted: 4:59 AM EST (0959 GMT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Studies looking at the oceans and melting Arctic ice leave no room for doubt that it is getting warmer, people are to blame, and the weather is going to suffer, climate experts have said.

New computer models that look at ocean temperatures instead of the atmosphere show the clearest signal yet that global warming is well under way, Tim Barnett of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography said.

Speaking at an annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Barnett said climate models based on air temperatures are weak because most of the evidence for global warming is not even there.

"The real place to look is in the ocean," Barnett told a news conference.

His team used millions of temperature readings made by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to calculate steady ocean warming.

"The debate over whether or not there is a global warming signal is now over, at least for rational people," he said.

The report was published one day after the United Nations Kyoto Protocol took effect, a 141-nation environmental pact the United States government has spurned for several reasons, including stated doubts about whether global warming is occurring and is caused by people.

Barnett urged U.S. officials to reconsider.

"Could a climate system simply do this on its own? The answer is clearly no," Barnett said.

His team used U.S. government models of solar warming and volcanic warming, just to see if they could account for the measurements they made. "Not a chance," he said.

And the effects will be felt far and wide. "Anywhere that the major water source is fed by snow ... or glacial melt," he said.

"The debate is what are we going to do about it."

Other researchers found clear effects on climate and animals.

Ruth Curry of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution found that melting ice was changing the water cycle, which in turn affects ocean currents and, ultimately, climate.

"As the Earth warms, its water cycle is changing, being pushed out of kilter," she said.

"Ice is in decline everywhere on the planet."

A circulation system called the Ocean Conveyer Belt is in danger of shutting down, she said.

The last time that happened, northern Europe suffered extremely cold winters.

She said the changes were already causing droughts in the U.S. west.

Greenland's ice cap, which contains enough ice to raise sea levels globally by 23 feet (7 meters), is starting to melt and could collapse suddenly, Curry said.

Already freshwater is percolating down, lubricating the base and making it more unstable.

Sharon Smith of the University of Miami found melting Arctic ice was taking with it algae that formed an important base of the food supply for a range of animals.

And the disappearing ice shelves meant big animals such as walruses, polar bears and seals were losing their homes.

"In 1997 there was a mass die-off of a bird called the short-tailed shearwater in the Bering Sea," Smith told the news conference.

The birds, which migrate from Australia, starved to death for several years running when warmer waters caused a plankton called a coccolithophore to bloom in huge numbers, turning the water an opaque turquoise color.

"The short-tailed shearwater couldn't see its prey," Smith said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/02 ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:40 pm 
Supersonic

good article, thanks.

i believe global warming is real and it's totally ignorant of the bush administration to not be doing much about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:21 pm 
Got Some

I enjoyed this, thanks for sharing it.

I for one don't think it's very realistic to think that humans aren't somehow influencing "global warming". Even if the earth is in a natural warming trend, the big hole we're creating in the ozone layer isn't exactly cooling things down. Plus all the wastes we pump into the environment (air, land, & sea) MUST be having an affect. It's just common sense.

If Earth could say,
In a voice floating up
Perhaps
From the floor
Of the Grand Canyon,
"It is done.
People did not like it here.''

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:32 pm 
Force of Nature

http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/Kyoto_Count_Up.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:36 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

turkey sub jr. wrote:
http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/Kyoto_Count_Up.htm

That is probably the biggest piece of shit website I have ever seen besides poopsex.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:36 pm 
Force of Nature

I can definately see how this is in fact global warming. Especially when compared with the ocean temperature database with observations from the past 1000 years let alone all those numbers from billions of years ago.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

sleightofhandpj wrote:
I can definately see how this is in fact global warming. Especially when compared with the ocean temperature database with observations from the past 1000 years let alone all those numbers from billions of years ago.

So we have absolutely ZERO effect on the earth. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:44 pm 
Force of Nature

Cartman wrote:
sleightofhandpj wrote:

So we have absolutely ZERO effect on the earth. :roll:

Oh we absolutely do. I just don't see how "WE" are the only thing causing this. Natural order may very well be involved as well. Nothing is constant on this planet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 81  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate