Post subject: Re: Government Licensing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:12 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

¡B! wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
B wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
EDIT: They'd be foolish not to demonstrate safety--the question is, should the gov't be the sole validator of such demonstration?

That's a fair argument. I have no problem with a non-government agency(ies) filling this role, but I don't think products should be sold without going through a safety/efficacy minimum standard. That would take a law and enforcement to stop unregulated sales.

I guess the question then is, what minimum standard should that be? If it's going to take the years that the FDA does, then there may not be much change for the better.

I don't imagine that being any harder to hammer out than any other piece of legislation.

Company X must submit 18 months worth of data on Product A to Company Y, Z, or J for safety and efficacy verification before Product A can be available for sale to Americans. Companies attempting to sell any products in the United States without appropriate reviews will be subject to fines and/or criminal sanctions.

There. I just wrote the bill! ... and the US now regulates 3 companies instead of millions. 8)

I'm not sure private oligopoly would improve on government monopoly.

One question I have with powerful private oversight mechanisms, is how much can trusted? The financial crisis showed how poorly the credit rating agencies (S&P etc) were performing their duties (hence my above question, too). Maybe it's easier in medicine, where results are more likely to be essentially "concrete" than in finance where they were based in what turned out to be heavily flawed assumptions on risk.

On the other hand, who's to say government is not subjected to many of the same pressures as a private oversight firm?

Post subject: Re: Government Licensing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:20 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

i'd also be curious about the correlations between state unemployment rates and number of licensure requirements post-bubble burst

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate