Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Role of Government
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:56 am 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
thinkforyourself wrote:
glorified_version wrote:
What the government does is give money to corporations in the name of "progress"

See: The energy bill that passed the House on July 28, 2005 and the Senate on July 29, 2005 includes at least $4 billion in subsidies and tax breaks for the oil industry, which is reaping enormous windfalls at a time of rising oil and gasoline prices.

http://www.calpirg.org/home/reports/rep ... nergy-bill

:evil:

Oh yeah? Oil companies are still profiting only a dime on each gallon of gas it sells. They invest in infrastructure. They employee people. They extract it. They ship it. They refine it. They ship it again. And they get a dime on the gallon.

How much does the state get for doing absolutely fucking nothing?

ExxonMobil reported the highest profits of any company in US history at the end of 2006.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/31/business/31exxon.html

you are the human wyoming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 am 
Supersonic

So mother fucking what?!

Just imagine, for every dollar that Exxon Mobil is making, the government is making four, five, six, maybe even TEN times as much.

Companies make money, so the government is entitled to it?

I'm sorry, but the government is fleecing us at the pump FAR more than the government.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:53 am 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

LittleWing wrote:
So mother fucking what?!

Just imagine, for every dollar that Exxon Mobil is making, the government is making four, five, six, maybe even TEN times as much.

I'm sorry, but the government is fleecing us at the pump FAR more than the government.

please edit your post so it makes at least a modicum of sense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:56 am 
Unthought Known

malice wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
So mother fucking what?!

please edit your post so it makes at least a modicum of sense.

Heh. I believe you can infer in which instance he meant to put 'exxon' or perhaps 'oil companies' instead of 'government'.

I'm curious as to what these subsidies are for. I don't like the idea of corporate subsidies in general, but I imagine some would find them much more palatable if they were for alternative energy or something of that nature.

Now is about the time I should click the link, huh?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:15 am 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

I just find it funny that Little Wing tries to make it look like the oil companies are getting the short end of the stick here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:18 am 
Administrator

malice wrote:
I just find it funny that Little Wing tries to make it look like the oil companies are getting the short end of the stick here.

When the government taxes the oil companies, they're taxing us. You think the oil companies are going to sit back and say, "Dang, the government is taxing us more, I guess we'll make less profit now!" No, they'll raise prices to cover it.

I also don't get why oil companies profiting is a bad thing. That profit is what drives them to somehow allow us to get oil from thousands of miles away and process it into something we can use for transportation at a cost much lower than we pay for bottled tap water. Let them have their dime per gallon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:53 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Aren't we all happy this thread has turned into an oil company love fest?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 am 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
malice wrote:

When the government taxes the oil companies, they're taxing us. You think the oil companies are going to sit back and say, "Dang, the government is taxing us more, I guess we'll make less profit now!" No, they'll raise prices to cover it.

I also don't get why oil companies profiting is a bad thing. That profit is what drives them to somehow allow us to get oil from thousands of miles away and process it into something we can use for transportation at a cost much lower than we pay for bottled tap water. Let them have their dime per gallon.

where did I say any company making a profit is a bad thing?
and tell you what, oil companies are "allowing" us this wonderful priveledge of getting their oil for an average of $3.15 a gallon here in lovely Massachusetts.
You're out of your head if you think they aren't jumping for joy over all that money to roll around in at the expense of the population having to go into debt everytime they want to fill up their SUVs.

So do me a favor and back the fuck down- I don't give a shit about the role of government or much of anything to do with this thread, but to read LittleWing posting nonsense about how LITTLE profit the oil companies make is just retarded, and a lie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:56 pm 
Administrator

malice wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
malice wrote:

where did I say any company making a profit is a bad thing?
and tell you what, oil companies are "allowing" us this wonderful priveledge of getting their oil for an average of $3.15 a gallon here in lovely Massachusetts.
You're out of your head if you think they aren't jumping for joy over all that money to roll around in at the expense of the population having to go into debt everytime they want to fill up their SUVs.

So do me a favor and back the fuck down- I don't give a shit about the role of government or much of anything to do with this thread, but to read LittleWing posting nonsense about how LITTLE profit the oil companies make is just retarded, and a lie.

I wasn't agreeing with LittleWing. But since taxes for oil companies was brought up, I figured I'd mention that whether the oil companies get the short end of the stick is not the issue. That bill that just made it through the house to increase taxes for the five largest oil companies (five largest? that seems fair. I bet that one was sponsored by the sixth largest oil company) is going to do nothing but hurt the consumer and the economy as a whole.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:16 pm 
Supersonic

Quote:
where did I say any company making a profit is a bad thing? - malice

Well, if major oil companies making a dime on a gallon of gas is a bad thing, I would think that you would feel the same way about any other company making a profit. Oh the shame, a 3% profit!

Quote:
and tell you what, oil companies are "allowing" us this wonderful priveledge of getting their oil for an average of $3.15 a gallon here in lovely Massachusetts. - Malice

Oh yeah, because you are entitled to cheap gas! Yeah! :haha: You get right on those oil companies profiting that dime on the gallon! Hey, maybe if you protest enough about that dime, you can save a dime! Then you'll be paying $3.05 a gallon! Yeah Malice, you are so on the ball here. Nevermind the what...$.60 a gallon in up front taxes that you are paying on that gallon of gas. The DIME that the oil companies are profiting is much more of a relevant concern.

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
malice wrote:

Quote:
So do me a favor and back the fuck down- I don't give a shit about the role of government or much of anything to do with this thread, but to read LittleWing posting nonsense about how LITTLE profit the oil companies make is just retarded, and a lie. - Malice

:haha:

That's good shit.

Distribution, marketing and retail dealer costs and profits combined make up 9 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petr ... etbro.html

Quote:
What does the average oil company make today on the sale of a gallon of gas? Ten cents.

The federal tax on gasoline, on the other hand, is nearly twice that. Then there's state gasoline taxes. (If you live in New York, for example, you're paying 68 cents a gallon in taxes.)

If Exxon is gouging us at ten cents a gallon, what exactly is the federal government doing to us at 18.4 cents a gallon?

http://www.investmentu.com/IUEL/2007/20070323.html

Quote:
And Exxon's profit margins are only 10.7%. Profit margins at Microsoft, on the other hand, are 26%. Perhaps we should pass a windfall profits tax on software companies.

Quote:
I just find it funny that Little Wing tries to make it look like the oil companies are getting the short end of the stick here. - Malice

:haha:

Oil companies will get that dime on a gallon of gas NO MATTER WHAT! The oil companies aren't getting the short of the stick here. WE ARE!

Wake up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:45 pm 
Unthought Known

Tax incidence:

"Imagine a $1 tax on every barrel of apples an apple farmer produces. If the apple farmer is able to pass the tax along to consumers of apples by raising the price $1, then consumers are bearing the entire burden of the tax. The tax incidence is falling on consumers. On the other hand, if the apple farmer can't raise prices, then the farmer is bearing the burden of the tax. The tax incidence is falling on the farmer. If the apple farmer can raise prices only $0.50, then they are sharing the tax burden. When the tax incidence falls on the farmer, this burden will flow back to owners of the relevant factors of production, including agricultural land and employee wages.

Where the tax incidence falls depends on the price elasticity of demand and price elasticity of supply. Tax incidence falls mostly upon the group that responds least to price (the group that has the most inelastic price-quantity curve). Austrian economist Ludwig von Mises teaches that the actual burden of any tax is determined by the market process rather than by the taxing authority. The supply and demand for a good is deeply intertwined with the markets for the factors of production and for alternate goods and services that might be produced or consumed. Although legislators might be seeking to tax the apple industry, in reality it could turn out to be truck drivers who are hardest hit, if apple companies shift toward shipping by rail in response to their new cost. Or perhaps orange manufacturers will be the group most affected, if consumers decide to forgo oranges to maintain their previous level of apples at the now higher price. Ultimately, the burden of the tax falls on people—the owners, customers, or workers of the corporation"

If you are going to allow windfall profit taxes, why allow any profit at all since the idea of "windfall" is too subjective, and politicized, to define?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

LittleWing wrote:
Oil companies will get that dime on a gallon of gas NO MATTER WHAT! The oil companies aren't getting the short of the stick here. WE ARE!

Wake up.

Exactly. I hope you come to realize this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:09 pm 
Administrator

Here's how well corporate taxes work:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1204503 ... d_outlooks

Quote:
Texas v. Ohio
March 3, 2008; Page A16

As Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton race around Ohio and Texas for tomorrow's primaries, they are telling a tale of economic woe. Yet the real story isn't how similar the two states are economically but how different. Texas has been prospering while Ohio lags, and the reasons are instructive about what works and what doesn't in economic policy.

There's no doubt times are tough in Ohio. The state has lost 200,000 manufacturing jobs since 2000, home foreclosures are soaring, and real family income is lower now than in 2000. Meanwhile, the Texas economy has boomed since 2004, with nearly twice the rate of new job creation as the rest of the nation. The nearby table compares the states over a decade or so.

Let's start with the fact that Texas's growth puts the lie to the myth that free trade costs American jobs. Anti-Nafta rhetoric doesn't play well in El Paso, San Antonio and Houston, which have become gateway cities for commerce with Latin America and have flourished since the North American Free Trade Agreement passed Congress in 1993. Mr. Obama's claim of one million lost jobs due to trade deals is laughable in Texas, the state most affected by Nafta. Texas has gained 36,000 manufacturing jobs since 2004 and has ranked as the nation's top exporting state for six years in a row. Its $168 billion of exports in 2007 translate into tens of thousands of jobs.

Ohio, Indiana and Michigan are losing auto jobs, but many of these "runaway plants" are not fleeing to China, Mexico or India. They've moved to more business-friendly U.S. states, including Texas. GM recently announced plans for a new plant to build hybrid cars. Guess where? Near Dallas. In 2006 the Lone Star State exported $5.5 billion of cars and trucks to Mexico and $2.4 billion worth to Canada.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland, a Democrat who supports Mrs. Clinton, blames his state's problems on President Bush. But Ohio's economy has been struggling for years, and most of its wounds are self-inflicted. Ohio now ranks 47th out of 50 in economic competitiveness, according to the American Legislative Exchange Council. Ohio politicians deplore plant closings even as they impose the third highest corporate income tax in the country (10.5%) and the sixth highest personal income tax (8.87%). A common joke is that Ohio lays out the red carpet for companies -- when they leave the state. By contrast, Texas has no income tax, a huge competitive advantage.

Ohio's most crippling handicap may be that its politicians -- and thus its employers -- are still in the grip of such industrial unions as the United Auto Workers. Ohio is a "closed shop" state, which means workers can be forced to join a union whether they wish to or not. Many companies -- especially foreign-owned -- say they will not even consider such locations for new sites. States with "right to work" laws that make union organizing more difficult had twice the job growth of Ohio and other forced union states from 1995-2005, according to the National Institute for Labor Relations.

On the other hand, Texas is a right to work state and has been adding jobs by the tens of thousands. Nearly 1,000 new plants have been built in Texas since 2005, from the likes of Microsoft, Samsung and Fujitsu. Foreign-owned companies supplied the state with 345,000 jobs. No wonder Texans don't fear global competition the way some Presidential candidates do.

So tomorrow the eyes of America will be on these two states moving in different directions. Ohio has an economy burdened by high taxes and work rules that impose heavy costs on employers. Texas embraces free trade, keeps taxes low, doesn't impose unions on business and has tooled itself for 21st century global competition. Ohioans may not like to hear this, but for any company considering where to locate a new plant or move an existing one, the choice between Ohio and Texas isn't even a close call.

The challenge for our national economy in a world of competition is to become more like Texas and less like Ohio.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:32 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Texas, a role model for us all

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:49 pm 
AnalLog

glorified_version wrote:

The economy isn't all bad, you know.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:27 pm 
Administrator

glorified_version wrote:

Is the implication here that their economic model is worse because of certain stereotypes surrounding Texans?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:05 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
glorified_version wrote:

Is the implication here that their economic model is worse because of certain stereotypes surrounding Texans?

No, definitely not. But in the case of that editorial, the data was interpreted in terms of "market competitiveness" when there are probably dozens of other factors that could be taken into account while sizing up a) the economy, and b) the actual quality of life in both states. GDP, average household income, personal income and savings, state revenue, quality of health care and social services, laws protecting workers, etc. etc. According to the article, both states have relatively low unemployment rates (6% for Ohio isn't all that high). According to the one I posted last week, Texas is one of the most polluted areas of land on the planet. This of course is partly a side effect of oil production, but the private companies involved refuse to regulate themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:24 pm 
Administrator

glorified_version wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
glorified_version wrote:

No, definitely not. But in the case of that editorial, the data was interpreted in terms of "market competitiveness" when there are probably dozens of other factors that could be taken into account while sizing up a) the economy, and b) the actual quality of life in both states. GDP, average household income, personal income and savings, state revenue, quality of health care and social services, laws protecting workers, etc. etc. According to the article, both states have relatively low unemployment rates (6% for Ohio isn't all that high). According to the one I posted last week, Texas is one of the most polluted areas of land on the planet. This of course is partly a side effect of oil production, but the private companies involved refuse to regulate themselves.

Texas does emit the most greenhouses in the country, but it is also the country's largest producer of petroleum and plastics. That has more to do with the very fact that those things are being produced than Texas' actual government policies. If you produce it somewhere else, the greenhouse gases would just be coming from that place instead.

Now, as far as quality of life, I don't think anything could trump the health of the economy. That's not to say there aren't other factors, but those other factors (personal income/savings, health care, state revenue, etc.) are positively affected by a healthy economy. So I think it would be a little absurd to say Ohio has a higher quality of life than Texas just because Ohio has great social services--anybody who's worth a damn would easily prefer a job over welfare money.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:42 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Texas does emit the most greenhouses in the country, but it is also the country's largest producer of petroleum and plastics. That has more to do with the very fact that those things are being produced than Texas' actual government policies. If you produce it somewhere else, the greenhouse gases would just be coming from that place instead.

This is definitely not true. Some places' environmental policies on the whole are lackadaisical at best, Texas being one of them. It's important to realize that the laws regarding such things are made by the people living there and factors such as the amount of pollution a state emits really have no state, national, or universal application.

Quote:
Now, as far as quality of life, I don't think anything could trump the health of the economy. That's not to say there aren't other factors, but those other factors (personal income/savings, health care, state revenue, etc.) are positively affected by a healthy economy. So I think it would be a little absurd to say Ohio has a higher quality of life than Texas just because Ohio has great social services--anybody who's worth a damn would easily prefer a job over welfare money.

I didn't make the assertion that Ohioans have a higher standard of living than Texans, nor am I arguing which state is better because I personally wouldn't want to live in either place. The fact is that people in both states have relatively different philosophies on what constitutes a good area to raise a family and make a living. Economically speaking, which is more important, the opportunity to become filthy rich or not having a huge social income disparity? Didn't Houston have one of the nation's highest crime rates when GW was Governor, yet was one of the country's wealthiest places? I'm too lazy to look it up. People say that Texans are friendly and polite. They also have weird ideas about homeschooling their children and consensual sex between two adults.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:39 am 
Administrator

glorified_version wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

This is definitely not true. Some places' environmental policies on the whole are lackadaisical at best, Texas being one of them. It's important to realize that the laws regarding such things are made by the people living there and factors such as the amount of pollution a state emits really have no state, national, or universal application.

I don't think you get my point. Perhaps Texas' environmental policies allow for more petroleum and plastic production, but the process itself will emit the same pollution no matter where it takes place. And as long as there is demand for plastic and petroleum, that production will take place *somewhere*.

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't make the assertion that Ohioans have a higher standard of living than Texans, nor am I arguing which state is better because I personally wouldn't want to live in either place. The fact is that people in both states have relatively different philosophies on what constitutes a good area to raise a family and make a living. Economically speaking, which is more important, the opportunity to become filthy rich or not having a huge social income disparity? Didn't Houston have one of the nation's highest crime rates when GW was Governor, yet was one of the country's wealthiest places? I'm too lazy to look it up. People say that Texans are friendly and polite. They also have weird ideas about homeschooling their children and consensual sex between two adults.

I'll let the fact that people are moving out of Ohio and into Texas speak for itself.

And I would definitely say the opportunity to become filthy rich is far more important than not having huge social disparity. Why? Because not having huge social disparity implies that everybody is poor. People who don't have the opportunity to get ahead have no motivation to produce, and I think that is what this Ohio vs. Texas comparison supports. It is much better for some people to be rich and some people to struggle than for everybody to struggle. That's why half the people I work with moved here from Michigan--they're educated, there aren't any jobs there for them, and they have to pay more taxes on top of that. The "tax the corporations and the non-poor" model is not sustainable, and it will keep any state mired that continues to implement it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate