Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adam walked with the dinosaurs???
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:23 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

It's the same mentality as the "birthers". Ignoring facts does not make your 'belief' correct. I don't understand how they can CHOOSE to remain ignorant, and then still have the balls to argue their side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:27 pm 
Supersonic

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
It's the same mentality as the "birthers". Ignoring facts does not make your 'belief' correct. I don't understand how they can CHOOSE to remain ignorant, and then still have the balls to argue their side.

Your birther argument doesn't hold a lot of water as there's conflicting information in the world surrounding the "facts." The birther movement isn't really belief, at least not in any sort of religious sense. A religious person uses their beliefs as a means deny facts. Birthers question facts as a means to arrive at a position. They're really not equatable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm 
Of Counsel

LittleWing wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

Your birther argument doesn't hold a lot of water as there's conflicting information in the world surrounding the "facts." The birther movement isn't really belief, at least not in any sort of religious sense. A religious person uses their beliefs as a means deny facts. Birthers question facts as a means to arrive at a position. They're really not equatable.

Aren't the creationists also questioning facts to arrive at their pre-determined conclusion? Whether the pre-determined conclusion comes from the bible or a crazy blogger seems to matter little.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:36 pm 
Supersonic

punkdavid wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

Aren't the creationists also questioning facts to arrive at their pre-determined conclusion? Whether the pre-determined conclusion comes from the bible or a crazy blogger seems to matter little.

Matters little in what sense? If we're talking about an end result I suppose you may have an argument. If we're talking about faith and beliefs then you don't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:07 pm 
Of Counsel

LittleWing wrote:
punkdavid wrote:
LittleWing wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

Matters little in what sense? If we're talking about an end result I suppose you may have an argument. If we're talking about faith and beliefs then you don't.

I don't really see any difference when it comes to faith and beliefs, except that you are limiting the use of those words to organized religion. Anything one believes based on insufficient evidence to warrant the conclusion involves a degree of faith. Some involve more faith than others because there is less evidence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:11 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

There's no way to know 100% anything. It's all a little faith.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:33 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  YIM  Profile

dkfan9 wrote:

Not really. I'm 100% sure I just walked into the doorframe. There were witnesses who saw it, others who just heard it, and a bruise on my hip to prove it. So. . . yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:42 pm 
Banned from the Pit

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Not really. I'm 100% sure I just walked into the door frame. There were witnesses who saw it, others who just heard it, and a bruise on my hip to prove it. So. . . yeah.

You're damn right!!! As far as 100% certainty, I believe is possible, i know with a 100% of certainty that I'll die someday, no faith required to know that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:39 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

I miss kiddo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 am 
Interweb Celebrity

LittleWing wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:
It just confuses me how you can "believe" something when it's been proven untrue. Beyond that, how are you not ashamed of yourself for being so rediculous? How does one find pride in "believing" something that is tangibly and honestly not real? How do you CHOOSE to ignore actual, educated people who can say, "No, this is what is, and here is why", and say "Nuh uh! I believe THIS because um, um, this guy says this book says so!!!"? I just find it so. . . flabberghasting.

Because they're called beliefs. And it's called faith. It confuses me how people can be confused about beliefs and faith over-riding verifiable truths determined by the scientific method. Welcome to reality NAT.

There's nothing inherently wrong with beliefs. In fact, we can't not have beliefs. They just need align with the facts on hand as best they can. Faith is merely belief without or in spite of the evidence.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:05 am 
Interweb Celebrity

dkfan9 wrote:

If you're 99 percent sure of something, you don't have or need faith. You have good reason to think you have it correct.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:06 am 
Interweb Celebrity

arq wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Not really. I'm 100% sure I just walked into the door frame. There were witnesses who saw it, others who just heard it, and a bruise on my hip to prove it. So. . . yeah.

You're damn right!!! As far as 100% certainty, I believe is possible, i know with a 100% of certainty that I'll die someday, no faith required to know that.

How do you know? Will you be around after you're dead to make sure you're dead?

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:38 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

If you're 99 percent sure of something, you don't have or need faith. You have good reason to think you have it correct.

I don't really have any way of saying anything even close to sure. I mean, yeah, I live assuming this is all real, that you're all not just perfected virtual reality, but I'm not really sure. How can I be sure?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:50 am 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

dkfan9 wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

I don't really have any way of saying anything even close to sure. I mean, yeah, I live assuming this is all real, that you're all not just perfected virtual reality, but I'm not really sure. How can I be sure?

Pinch yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:29 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

BadMusic wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Pinch yourself?

What would be the difference between a perfectly simulated pinching feeling and an actual one?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 am 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

dkfan9 wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Pinch yourself?

What would be the difference between a perfectly simulated pinching feeling and an actual one?

None, but maybe if you pinch yourself real hard you won't be able to post for a couple of days.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:48 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This is the founder's blog: he is still perseverating on the article that my sister did the interview for...what is really weird is that he is so defensive about the assertion that his museum was "unwelcoming".

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/ken-ham/2010/08/23/crowds-keep-pouring-in/

I'll let you all know when she ends up on Oprah for an Athiest vs Creationist smack down. I assure you, there are very few people who can win a war of words with my sister.

B, Nick--you know where to find me :luv:

and so it goes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:27 pm 
Of Counsel

dkfan9 wrote:
BadMusic wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Pinch yourself?

Fuck yourself?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:44 pm 
In a van down by the river

wb kiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:57 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

corduroy_blazer wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Sure you have faith. In your belief, it's 99% fact based, 1% faith. Since you don't know for absolutely certainty, there has to be faith.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate