Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Patriotism
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:22 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Human Bass wrote:
If you want the better for your country, you are being a patriot. If you think that patriotism is bad for your country, you are being patriot.

I think patriotism is bad for the world

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:58 am 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

corduroy_blazer wrote:
what if we are better?

Who are 'we' and what is 'better', and why? It's all relative. I guess people in every country are indoctrinated to think their army is the best, and their industry is, and their everything else... If you are not critical about things like that, you're bound to be more patriotic than 'necessary'.

groetjes,
Mirella :)

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:34 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Mirella wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
what if we are better?

Who are 'we' and what is 'better', and why? It's all relative. I guess people in every country are indoctrinated to think their army is the best, and their industry is, and their everything else... If you are not critical about things like that, you're bound to be more patriotic than 'necessary'.

groetjes,

i'm not talking about the army, industry or anything like that. i'm talking about as a whole, the actions and quality of life for everyone within a society.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:53 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Mirella wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
what if we are better?

groetjes,

i'm not talking about the army, industry or anything like that. i'm talking about as a whole, the actions and quality of life for everyone within a society.

still is extremely subjective.
and also perceived very differently depending which part of society you belong to and your own personal circumstance.
Don't think that someone unemployed living in a run down housing estate and someone living in a leafy suburb on a hedge fund will have the same idea of what's 'great' about their country..
people living even in the same town might have very widely different daily experience of life, as much as if they were in different countries.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:58 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Pegasus wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
Mirella wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
what if we are better?

groetjes,

still is extremely subjective.
and also perceived very differently depending which part of society you belong to and your own personal circumstance.
Don't think that someone unemployed living in a run down housing estate and someone living in a leafy suburb on a hedge fund will have the same idea of what's 'great' about their country..
people living even in the same town might have very widely different daily experience of life, as much as if they were in different countries.

what about societies that execute homosexuals and "witches," practice honor killings, and throw women in jail for having coffee with a man? these are not subjective events.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:30 pm 
Unthought Known

corduroy_blazer wrote:

what about societies that execute homosexuals and "witches," practice honor killings, and throw women in jail for having coffee with a man? these are not subjective events.

That's a second sin against multiculturalism in the same thread. You need to bash wealthy white male christian conservatives for the next 10 posts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:39 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

broken iris wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

That's a second sin against multiculturalism in the same thread. You need to bash wealthy white male christian conservatives for the next 10 posts.

there's no need for one to completely drop his culture in return for ending the suffering of innocent people within it.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:50 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

person a: hey, you need to stop murdering women for being raped.
person b: wait, what!? no way!
person a: yes. oh, and witches ... they don't really exist. we dropped that a few hundred years ago.
person b: wrong! i know a guy who became infertile after a witch put a spell on him. they turn into cats! very deceptive folk, you know.
person a: uh, no. sorry. also, women deserve freedoms like men have, too.
person b: no!!!!! our entire culture, down the drain!!!!!

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

'Partriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel' - Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:36 pm 
AnalLog

corduroy_blazer wrote:

What about societies that largely abandon familial and cultural ties in order to worship material goods and end up facing widescale anomie and depression? It's subjective.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:44 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Orpheus wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

What about societies that largely abandon familial and cultural ties in order to worship material goods and end up facing widescale anomie and depression? It's subjective.

one does not need to completely drop his/her culture just because he or she stops murdering and jailing innocent people.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I am very much for the human rights, for instance as laid down right after WWII. And I think countries who can guarantee those rights somehow, are 'better' in that aspect than the ones who can't, or won't. But that has not much to do with patriotism, in my point of view. In fact, the most 'bad' countries on that point seem to have the highest amounts of patriots :|.
And it's not only fundamentalist islamitic countries. My own country is doing bad on children's rights at this moment concerning refugees, and another example is Guantanomo Bay.

groetjes,

93 Rdm2x 96 D L2x Ber Gro Ams Par Zür 00 L2x D Gla Man Car Par Pin Pra Kat2x Sal Lju Ver Ber Ham Ros L 01 BSB2x Sea2x 06 D Arn Ant Bern Bol Ver Mil Tor Pis Pra Ber Vie Zag 07 L Düs Nij Wer 09 L Rdm Ber Man L 10 D Belf L Ber 12 Am2x EV:Am2x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Mirella wrote:
I am very much for the human rights, for instance as laid down right after WWII. And I think countries who can guarantee those rights somehow, are 'better' in that aspect than the ones who can't, or won't. But that has not much to do with patriotism, in my point of view. In fact, the most 'bad' countries on that point seem to have the highest amounts of patriots :|.
And it's not only fundamentalist islamitic countries. My own country is doing bad on children's rights at this moment concerning refugees, and another example is Guantanomo Bay.

groetjes,

I love you :luv:
Can't wait to meet you, we're going to have a grand time in 2 weeks :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:31 am 
Hipster doofus

corduroy_blazer wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:

one does not need to completely drop his/her culture just because he or she stops murdering and jailing innocent people.

I think the fact that people dedicate themselves to improving their countries proves it is not subjective.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:33 pm 
Unthought Known

tryinmorning wrote:
I think the fact that people dedicate themselves to improving their countries proves it is not subjective.

Does it prove that patriotism, as opposed to nationlism, jingoism, and xenophobia, can be a positive force?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:32 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Pegasus wrote:
I love you :luv:
Can't wait to meet you,

heh, you will be so disappointed :oops: :wink:

Pegasus wrote:
we're going to have a grand time in 2 weeks :D

That's a sure thing! :D Maybe you can try and let them play Rats :idea: :lol:

groetjes,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:14 pm 
Johnny Guitar

broken iris wrote:
tryinmorning wrote:

Does it prove that patriotism, as opposed to nationlism, jingoism, and xenophobia, can be a positive force?

I think so, but I'm bound to be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:27 am 
Hipster doofus

broken iris wrote:
tryinmorning wrote:

I don't think a desire to improve your country necessarily makes you a patriot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:57 pm 
Faithless

I always found american patriotism weird, in the sense that americans are always told to be patriotic about their nation's ideals and "way of life" while forgetting that there are a lot of other countries in the world with the same ideals. I feel like americans are made to believe that the US is the only country in the world where one can live "free".

Just an outsider's perspective...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:59 pm 
AnalLog

Our constitution has been the model for many others and our revolution inspired a lot of the turmoil of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, for better or worse, so there's actually a basis for that. It is blown way out of proportion though.

Always do the right thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate