Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90
 Post subject: Re: The new direction for the Republican Party
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:17 pm 
Unthought Known

broken iris wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
http://www.ericgarland.co/2012/11/09/letter-to-a-future-republican-strategist-regarding-white-people/

It would be fricking sweet, for once, if one of these open letters wasn't filled with internet cliches and lowest common denominator snark (based on my posts on RM, I should be considered an expert in this area), because it's a huge turn off. it clouds otherwise reasonable suggestions and appeals to no one that does not already agree with the author.

you're probably right, but i think some harshness is called for (i'd say its more blunt than snarky).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm 
Supersonic

Head south?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

broken iris wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
http://www.ericgarland.co/2012/11/09/letter-to-a-future-republican-strategist-regarding-white-people/

It would be fricking sweet, for once, if one of these open letters wasn't filled with internet cliches and lowest common denominator snark (based on my posts on RM, I should be considered an expert in this area), because it's a huge turn off. it clouds otherwise reasonable suggestions and appeals to no one that does not already agree with the author.

I haven't read this precisely for that reason. I just assume it's full of those and therefore not worth reading.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

4/5 wrote:
Quote:
What these people don’t get, and what they’ll never get, is that America’s laws and politics should always reflect the desires of the majority of its populace
What a terrifyingly misguided belief.

What, you didn't like slavery?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 pm 
Unthought Known

bmacsmith wrote:
broken iris wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

you're probably right, but i think some harshness is called for (i'd say its more blunt than snarky).

The repubs should be harshly criticized for many, many things. As pointed out here, the blatantly anti-science stance of a party that supposedly represents aerospace, biotech, and energy industry leaders is absurd. I just think that if you are making an attempt to engage a group that is obsessed with the 'culture war', using words like "derp", however appropriate, will have the opposite effect of what the suggested intent is. It makes it appear the real intent is to antagonize, not inform, and diminishes the value of more honest attempts at changing the hearts and minds of nearly half the country.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:26 pm 
Global Moderator

It's just gloating. I am on a few progressive news/opinion aggregator lists and there has been a lot of this shit on there. It's almost always tiresome.

There are a lot of good people you can read on what the Republican party needs to do it repair itself, but they'll write serious essays, not this kind of crap.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:43 pm 
Unthought Known

broken iris wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:
broken iris wrote:
bmacsmith wrote:

The repubs should be harshly criticized for many, many things. As pointed out here, the blatantly anti-science stance of a party that supposedly represents aerospace, biotech, and energy industry leaders is absurd. I just think that if you are making an attempt to engage a group that is obsessed with the 'culture war', using words like "derp", however appropriate, will have the opposite effect of what the suggested intent is. It makes it appear the real intent is to antagonize, not inform, and diminishes the value of more honest attempts at changing the hearts and minds of nearly half the country.

i dont think its really aimed at republican rank and file, and has no hope of reaching the higher ups, but it does voice the frustration many moderate right leaning whites feel with the Republican Party. certainly speaks to me. Its kind of hard to not be condescending with morons like Akin and the Georgian guy in congress. you can't even speak to that kind of idiocy without being an ass about it. I think, if anything, moderates within the party have been too nice about it for too long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate