Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: 44th President Barack Obama.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 am 
Of Counsel

I think that presidential security is so good these days that it would have to be some kind of inside job to even get close to him. The idiots who want to kill him couldn't pull it off. They'd probably just shoot some random black guy in a suit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:30 am 
Former PJ Drummer

bart d. wrote:
Not to mention the fact that a lot of the racist groups in this country probably view an Obama presidency as a good thing, since they no longer have to say that jews and blacks secretely run the country.

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

One thing has been on my mind a lot today. Obama got a lot of young supporters, people who were previously VERY apathetic to the world of politics. Now, I am very glad Obama won, and support him. But let's not forget Obama is a politician, and politicians tend to not do the things they said they'd do once they actually get in office. I'm not saying he was completely lying to us, but let's look at it realistically. There is a very distinct possibility that a lot of what he said won't come to fruition. So what happens if it turns out that way. All those people that were so apathetic before, but were inspired enough to get involved in this election, what happens to them? How apathetic and turned off will they be if Obama fails them?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:57 am 
Got Some

cutuphalfdead wrote:
There is a very distinct possibility that a lot of what he said won't come to fruition. So what happens if it turns out that way.

That is politics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:03 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Lysander, I know its perfectly normal to feel disillusioned by politics in general and that you disagree with Obama's economic policies. But you should be thankful for what Obama will be doing, which will hopefully include things like closing Guantanamo and not taking the country into unnecessary wars for the next 4 (and probably 8) years. Hopefully the Justice Dept will spend less time going after pot dealers, hell I'd like to see the prison system reformed too. Plus no federal ban on gay marriage or abortion. Those are all "big government" issues that Obama will change to some degree.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:10 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Lysander wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
There is a very distinct possibility that a lot of what he said won't come to fruition. So what happens if it turns out that way.

That is politics.

That's my point. But I'm saying will that be the last straw for the people that were apathetic before this election but not during it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:10 am 
Got Some

glorified_version wrote:
closing Guantanamo and not taking the country into unnecessary wars for the next 4 (and probably 8) years. Hopefully the Justice Dept will spend less time going after pot dealers, hell I'd like to see the prison system reformed too. Plus no federal ban on gay marriage or abortion. Those are all "big government" issues that Obama will change to some degree.

Of course, but for every bone thrown, there will be one taken away. Whether it is a bone in an economic sense, health care, or something else, I will certainly protest. Neither party provides what I am looking for, and most likely never will. Rest assured, however, that I am but one person, and none of this hinges on my opinions or beliefs. I am usually not mistaken for mainstream or popular for that matter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:19 am 
Former PJ Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Lysander wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

That is politics.

That's my point. But I'm saying will that be the last straw for the people that were apathetic before this election but not during it?

No, probably not. Voting tends to be a repetitive behavior. Once you've done it once, you're far more likely to do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:20 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

bart d. wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Lysander wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

That is politics.

No, probably not. Voting tends to be a repetitive behavior. Once you've done it once, you're far more likely to do it again.

We'll see. I'm not sure how it would play out, just a curious thought I had.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:00 am 
trying to make a career out of postwhoring

Great pictures here.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/1 ... _unit.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:19 am 
Got Some

I must congratulate the American people in actually voting for someone who looks like he might be reasonably capable of doing the job. Although it is a little like congratulating a small child for not shitting in his pants yet again...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:24 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

cutuphalfdead wrote:
One thing has been on my mind a lot today. Obama got a lot of young supporters, people who were previously VERY apathetic to the world of politics. Now, I am very glad Obama won, and support him. But let's not forget Obama is a politician, and politicians tend to not do the things they said they'd do once they actually get in office. I'm not saying he was completely lying to us, but let's look at it realistically. There is a very distinct possibility that a lot of what he said won't come to fruition. So what happens if it turns out that way. All those people that were so apathetic before, but were inspired enough to get involved in this election, what happens to them? How apathetic and turned off will they be if Obama fails them?

The question is why are young voters not engaged with the political process? You are not talking about the same group of voters in every election cycle. A large number of Obama volunteers were too young to vote in the last election. This will be their first Presidential Election, so it's not reasonable to say that they were apathetic in the previous election. The slightly older voters I've spoken to who were not engaged in the political process during the last election felt that the issues did not have relevance to their lives, not because they were already cynical about the process. It's true that those who have voted once are more likely to vote again. Many don't come into the process until their attention is captured by issues that they feel strongly about. Sometimes that doesn't happen until quite late. When I was working the polls Tuesday, there were voters who were senior citizens voting for the first time. I also saw teenagers who were voting for the first time. In every election cycle, it's up to politicians to make the issues relevent to younger voters. Even in this election, the rhetoric focused mainly on the "middle class." How many 19-year-old voters tuned out immediately upon hearing those words?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:47 pm 
Johnny Guitar

fitzy wrote:
I have never felt so proud as an american as I do today. I'm a 31 year old Irish white guy that sat in awe last night as Obama gave his speech.
I was moved to tears. I believe in Obama. I believe he wants what is best for this broken country, and I believe he will change this country for the better.
The world is looking at us different today, and I know I am looking at the world different too.

Those are my sentiments, except I'm 25, only partially irish, and a woman.

After the ridiculousness that has been the last 8 years, I know Obama can lay the foundations that we need to start rebuilding any kind of stable America. The people who were convinced he won't be able to magically fix all of our problems need to realize: McCain wouldn't be able to either. Bush has us so boinked up the cornhole that, as I said, a new foundation is realistically all we'll really be able to get. But, you have to start somewhere, and I think Obama will do a beautiful job of pointing us in the right direction in a post-bu**sh** era.

**yay!**

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:40 pm 
Of Counsel

SLH916 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

The question is why are young voters not engaged with the political process? You are not talking about the same group of voters in every election cycle. A large number of Obama volunteers were too young to vote in the last election. This will be their first Presidential Election, so it's not reasonable to say that they were apathetic in the previous election. The slightly older voters I've spoken to who were not engaged in the political process during the last election felt that the issues did not have relevance to their lives, not because they were already cynical about the process. It's true that those who have voted once are more likely to vote again. Many don't come into the process until their attention is captured by issues that they feel strongly about. Sometimes that doesn't happen until quite late. When I was working the polls Tuesday, there were voters who were senior citizens voting for the first time. I also saw teenagers who were voting for the first time. In every election cycle, it's up to politicians to make the issues relevent to younger voters. Even in this election, the rhetoric focused mainly on the "middle class." How many 19-year-old voters tuned out immediately upon hearing those words?

I read a piece by a young man (23 I think) yesterday, and he was talking about how he came of age on 9/11. Being that I was 28 then, I often don't consider how much that event shaped the way that younger people look at the world, and that their first political awareness is the boondoggle that is the Bush Administration. I think there's a drive and motivation that exists in a larger percentage of people born 20 some years ago than any generation in quite some time. The existence of the internet and the ability to use that tool to spread ideas and organize can't be understated either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:01 pm 

Well made video of photos of Obama and supporters set to Springsteen's Land of Hope and Dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:52 pm 

You guys have to watch this. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:23 pm 
AnalLog

punkdavid wrote:
I read a piece by a young man (23 I think) yesterday, and he was talking about how he came of age on 9/11. Being that I was 28 then, I often don't consider how much that event shaped the way that younger people look at the world, and that their first political awareness is the boondoggle that is the Bush Administration. I think there's a drive and motivation that exists in a larger percentage of people born 20 some years ago than any generation in quite some time. The existence of the internet and the ability to use that tool to spread ideas and organize can't be understated either.

Having had to spend pretty much my entire adolescence with Bush as president, I was pretty damn motivated to vote when the time came around.

Always do the right thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:24 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Orpheus wrote:
Having had to spend pretty much my entire adolescence with Bush as president, I was pretty damn motivated to vote when the time came around.

Winner, 2008 US Pearl Jam fantasy league. :D

Everton FC: 3-1-5
Anaheim Webbed D's: 5-6-2
USC Football: 7-2
Denver Broncos: 3-5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:32 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

pearljamfan80 wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:45 pm 
Unthought Known

spaggy boy wrote:
I must congratulate the American people in actually voting for someone who looks like he might be reasonably capable of doing the job. Although it is a little like congratulating a small child for not shitting in his pants yet again...

Small children usually do well with encouragement. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 172  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate