Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject: Stocks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:56 am 
Johnny Guitar

Now is the time to make some real $$$$. Let's pool our knowledge & get something done. I know a few things that are local & I'm going to make a killing when this whole thing turns around.

Post subject: Re: Stocks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:32 pm 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

this thread obviously belongs in Pearl Jam chat.

mods?

you are the human wyoming

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:50 pm 
Unthought Known

Pumpkin futures were through the roof when I bought them in early october..I forgot to sell them before the end of the month and now I think I'm screwed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:08 pm 
Administrator

Doug RR wrote:
Pumpkin futures were through the roof when I bought them in early october..I forgot to sell them before the end of the month and now I think I'm screwed.

Don't worry, you can make up for it by investing in christmas present and Martin Luther King Day decorations futures.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:36 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

When I get a hot stock tip, I post it on internet message boards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:04 pm 
alot of $$$

bart d. wrote:
When I get a hot stock tip, I post it on internet message boards.

That was you?

:shock: :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 pm 
Unthought Known

You should invest in firearm parts including receivers for assault style weapons. All the gun nuts are concerned that Obama is going to take their guns away and have begun hoarding these components. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:34 am 
Johnny Guitar

So, if anyone is serious, PM me, I've got 2 things in the fire. I'll give you the names, you can do the research & take it from there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:54 am 
alot of $$$

MITS5 wrote:
So, if anyone is serious, PM me, I've got 2 things in the fire. I'll give you the names, you can do the research & take it from there.

bwhahahahahaha. This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I think you might mean, literally, on fire. Because there is not a stock in the market that is actually going up right now.

Why can't you post the names here? Are they too hot to handle?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:40 pm 
statistically insignificant

IBTL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:45 pm 
Unthought Known

The company reported record sales of its saltine cracker packets to cafeterias and diners as rising numbers of destitute retirees wander in and fill their pockets

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:54 pm 
Johnny Guitar

given2trade wrote:
MITS5 wrote:

bwhahahahahaha. This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I think you might mean, literally, on fire. Because there is not a stock in the market that is actually going up right now.

Why can't you post the names here? Are they too hot to handle?

The idea is to buy low, sell high. Most things are low.
Sorry you don't like my "in the fire" comment. If your not interested, go find a thread that you can actually add something to. There are some people here who understand how the market works.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:06 pm 

MITS5 wrote:
go find a thread that you can actually add something to.

pot: "you're black."

kettle: "oh."

MITS5 wrote:
There are some people here who understand how the market works.

:wave:

given's likely forgotten more about financials and the stock market than you know. i love the "if you disagree with me, you must not understand" card.

if you are so "in the know," why are offering to share the information on an internet message board? for free? shouldn't you be making a killing on your own?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:09 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I'm done. Lock it up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:11 pm 
alot of $$$

bwahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhaha

Come on...post the stocks here. Why do you have to PM them? This will be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:14 pm 
alot of $$$

Doug RR wrote:

The company reported record sales of its saltine cracker packets to cafeterias and diners as rising numbers of destitute retirees wander in and fill their pockets

I figured someone would find me a stock going up. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:16 pm 
Unthought Known

I have been tinkering with my investment strategy recently. As I have discussed previously, my portfolio management system requires me to be invested with at least some exposure to the market, regardless of the health or tone of the underlying business climate.

For me that means owning at least 5 positions at most times (I am presently at 4 waiting to find something to buy to bring it back to 5 after selling my BEAV shares this morning). I do this because my own strategy depends on the actions of my own holdings to let me know whether I should be moving further into equities or moving instead towards cash.

Sales on good news generate 'buy signals' to add positions (assuming I am under 20 holdings), and sales on bad news--or declines--generate the opposite signal---that is they instruct me to 'sit on my hands'--unless I am at my minimum of 5--in which case these sales also give me a buy signal (as I received with my sale of my BE Aerospace shares this morning).

However, instead of buying a 'full' position, I am purchasing a reduced position equal to 1/2 of the average size of the remaining four positions. Thus, instead of just continuing to compound my losses over and over on the way down, I do a bit of compounding but continue to pull back from stocks each transaction with continuing reduced exposure to equities.

I hope you follow.

I have assumed that on the way up, I would instead add an 'average' of the remaining positions as the size of the new holding.

But that isn't enough.

Otherwise I would be adding a tiny position resulting from past sales. I need to be a bit more aggressive than that.

With that in mind, I am proposing on the way up that I shall be adding positions that are 125% of the average. Thus in that way, I shall be putting my foot on the accelerator just like I put my foot on the brake pedal when times are bad. I need to commit greater amounts of funds to the market as the eventual bull market unfolds.

Is 125% the right amount? I don't know. It took me awhile to get to the 1/7th position sales on the upside. If you all have a better idea, please feel to leave your comments on the blog or email me at RM

This is all new to me. But it makes intrinsic sense in the midst of the chaos that is Wall Street.

Wish me luck. I wish all of you luck as well!

Yours in investing,

Doug RR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:18 pm 

Doug RR wrote:
I have been tinkering with my investment strategy recently. As I have discussed previously, my portfolio management system requires me to be invested with at least some exposure to the market, regardless of the health or tone of the underlying business climate.

For me that means owning at least 5 positions at most times (I am presently at 4 waiting to find something to buy to bring it back to 5 after selling my BEAV shares this morning). I do this because my own strategy depends on the actions of my own holdings to let me know whether I should be moving further into equities or moving instead towards cash.

Sales on good news generate 'buy signals' to add positions (assuming I am under 20 holdings), and sales on bad news--or declines--generate the opposite signal---that is they instruct me to 'sit on my hands'--unless I am at my minimum of 5--in which case these sales also give me a buy signal (as I received with my sale of my BE Aerospace shares this morning).

However, instead of buying a 'full' position, I am purchasing a reduced position equal to 1/2 of the average size of the remaining four positions. Thus, instead of just continuing to compound my losses over and over on the way down, I do a bit of compounding but continue to pull back from stocks each transaction with continuing reduced exposure to equities.

I hope you follow.

I have assumed that on the way up, I would instead add an 'average' of the remaining positions as the size of the new holding.

But that isn't enough.

Otherwise I would be adding a tiny position resulting from past sales. I need to be a bit more aggressive than that.

With that in mind, I am proposing on the way up that I shall be adding positions that are 125% of the average. Thus in that way, I shall be putting my foot on the accelerator just like I put my foot on the brake pedal when times are bad. I need to commit greater amounts of funds to the market as the eventual bull market unfolds.

Is 125% the right amount? I don't know. It took me awhile to get to the 1/7th position sales on the upside. If you all have a better idea, please feel to leave your comments on the blog or email me at RM

This is all new to me. But it makes intrinsic sense in the midst of the chaos that is Wall Street.

Wish me luck. I wish all of you luck as well!

Yours in investing,

Doug RR

ur stoopid.

evre1 knows ft wayne haz all da hot stocks!1!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:20 pm 
alot of $$$

Doug...you lost me at "I"...though it's early in the morning out west. I'll try again in an hour :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:21 pm 
alot of $$$

I just watched Boiler Room last night for the first time since it came out. The movie still sucks but I enjoyed it more than I did originally. This thread reminds me of that.

$2 RIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate