Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: The Israel/West Bank Thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:41 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Israeli airstrikes in Gaza kill more than 200
Hamas says compounds hit, threatens to resume suicide attacks

updated 12:43 p.m. CT, Sat., Dec. 27, 2008

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Israeli warplanes retaliating for rocket fire from the Gaza Strip pounded dozens of security compounds across the Hamas-ruled territory in unprecedented waves of airstrikes Saturday, killing more than 200 people and wounding nearly 400 in the single bloodiest day of fighting in years.

Most of those killed were security men, but an unknown number of civilians were also among the dead. Hamas said all of its security installations were hit, threatened to resume suicide attacks, and sent at least 70 rockets and mortar shells crashing into Israeli border communities, according to the Israeli military. One Israeli was killed and at least six people were hurt.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Saturday blamed Hamas for breaking a cease-fire with Israel.

"The United States strongly condemns the repeated rocket and mortar attacks against Israel and holds Hamas responsible for breaking the cease-fire and for the renewal of violence in Gaza," Rice said in a statement.

"The cease-fire should be restored immediately," she said.

"The United States calls on all concerned to address the urgent humanitarian needs of the innocent people of Gaza."

The assault on Gaza could harm stalled talks over Palestinian statehood.

“It may take time, and each and every one of us must be patient so we can complete the mission,” Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told reporters after the airstrikes.

With so many wounded, the Palestinian death toll was likely to rise.

The strikes caused widespread panic and confusion in Gaza, as black clouds of smoke rose above the territory, ruled by Hamas for the past 18 months. Some of the Israeli missiles struck in densely populated areas as children were leaving school, and women rushed into the streets frantically looking for their children.

“My son is gone, my son is gone,” wailed Said Masri, a 57-year-old shopkeeper, as he sat in the middle of a Gaza City street, slapping his face and covering his head with dust from a bombed-out security compound nearby.

He said he had sent his 9-year-old son out to purchase cigarettes minutes before the airstrikes began and now could not find him. “May I burn like the cigarettes, may Israel burn,” Masri moaned.

Strikes continue into evening
The offensive began eight days after a six-month truce between Israel and the militants expired. The Israeli army says Palestinian militants have fired some 300 rockets and mortars at Israeli targets over the past week, and in recent days, Israeli leaders had threatened to launch a major offensive.

“There is a time for calm and there is a time for fighting, and now is the time for fighting,” said Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak, vowing to expand the operation if necessary.

Asked whether Hamas political leaders might be targeted, Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni declared at a news conference: “Hamas is a terrorist organization and nobody is immune.”

The first round of airstrikes on Gaza came just before noon. More than 100 attacks took place, continuing well into the evening.

Hospitals crowded with people, civilians rushing in wounded people in cars, vans and ambulances. “There are heads without bodies .... There’s blood in the corridors. People are weeping, women are crying, doctors are shouting, “ said nurse Ahmed Abdel Salaam from Shifa Hospital, Gaza’s main treatment center.

The offensive sparked angry protests throughout the Arab world, and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, the Vatican, the U.N. secretary-general and special Mideast envoy Tony Blair all called for an immediate restoration of calm. The Arab League scheduled an emergency meeting Sunday to discuss the situation.

100 tons of bombs dropped on Gaza
In Washington, White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said, “Hamas’ continued rocket attacks into Israel must cease if the violence is to stop. The United States urges Israel to avoid civilian casualties as it targets Hamas in Gaza.”

In Gaza City’s main security compound, bodies of more than a dozen uniformed Hamas police lay on the ground. One survivor raised his index finger in a show of Muslim faith, uttering a prayer. The Gaza police chief was among those killed. One man, his face bloodied, sat dazed on the ground as a fire raged nearby.

By early evening, 205 Gazans were known to be dead and 388 wounded, Gaza health official Dr. Moaiya Hassanain said. He did not provide figures on civilian deaths. But earlier in the day, police said about 140 Hamas security forces were killed. Some of the dead, rolled in blankets, were laid out on the floor of Gaza’s main hospital for identification.

Israeli military officials said more than 100 tons of bombs were dropped on Gaza by mid-afternoon. They spoke on condition of anonymity under military guidelines.

Defiant Hamas leaders threatened revenge. Hamas “will continue the resistance until the last drop of blood,” vowed spokesman Fawzi Barhoum.

Abbas condemns Israel
Israel told its civilians near Gaza to take cover, and in the West Bank, moderate Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, in a bitter rivalry with Hamas, condemned Israel. Egypt summoned the Israeli ambassador to express condemnation and opened its border with Gaza to allow ambulances to drive out some of the wounded.

Despite the overwhelming show of force, it was not clear whether it would halt the rocket fire. Past operations have failed to stop the attacks.

One rocket struck the Israeli town of Netivot, killing an Israeli man and wounding four people, rescue services said.

Dozens of stunned residents, some of them weeping, gathered around the house that took the deadly rocket hit. A hole gaped in one of the walls, which was pocked with shrapnel marks. The crowd broke up after an alert siren went off and everyone went running.

Streets were nearly empty in Sderot, the Israeli border town that has been pummeled hardest by rockets. A few cars carried panicked residents leaving town. Dozens of people congregated on a hilltop to watch the Israeli aerial attacks.

Protests against the campaign erupted in Arab Israeli villages, the Abbas-ruled West Bank and across the Arab world.

The most violent West Bank response came in the city of Hebron, where dozens of youths, many of them masked, hurled rocks for hours at Israeli forces, who lobbed tear gas and stun grenades in response. Officials in Bethlehem, Jesus’ traditional birthplace, turned off Christmas lights and traders shuttered shops to protest the Israeli attack.

Anti-Israel protests also erupted in Amman, Jordan, and in Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon and Syria.

Israel has targeted Gaza in the past, but the number of simultaneous attacks was unprecedented.

Israel left Gaza in 2005 after a 38-year occupation, but the withdrawal did not lead to better relations with Palestinians in the territory as Israeli officials had hoped.

Instead, the evacuation was followed by a sharp rise in militant attacks on Israeli border communities that on several occasions provoked harsh Israeli military reprisals.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28397813/page/2/

Post subject: Re: Israel goes apeshit
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

no comment yet from Obama :nice:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

I didn't bother reading most of your post, but what do you mean "goes"? Israel has been apeship since their existence. It comes with the territory when your neighbors don't think you have the right to exist as a country. That whole part of the world is a terrible disaster; nothing that comes out of there surprises me anymore.

WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:59 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

Winter's Love wrote:
I didn't bother reading most of your post, but what do you mean "goes"? Israel has been apeship since their existence. It comes with the territory when your neighbors don't think you have the right to exist as a country. That whole part of the world is a terrible disaster; nothing that comes out of there surprises me anymore.

and when a good portion of your own people don't believe in equal rights or sovereignty for an entire group of people living within their nation.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:35 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

Israel seemed to have a good aim this time.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:49 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Here we go again. :roll:

That's about I have to say.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:38 am 
Unthought Known

Oh, fucking hell.

Can't Gaza be more like West Bank?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:41 am 
The Decider

If I could wish for just one success for the Obama Administration, it would be to find a lasting solution to this quagmire.

If Soundgarden is perfectly fine with playing together with Tad Doyle on vocals, why the fuck is he wasting his life promoting the single worst album of all time? Holy shit, he has to be the stupidest motherfucker on earth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:49 am 
Unthought Known

shades-go-down wrote:
If I could wish for just one success for the Obama Administration, it would be to find a lasting solution to this quagmire.

I certainly hope you have some more modest ambitions for his administration...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:18 am 
Got Some

I'm generally supportive of Israel but wonder if they've acted with too heavy of a hand in this case; particularly if they escalate their actions in the immediate future.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:45 am 
Former PJ Drummer

"Israel has a right to blow up as much shit as they want, Hamas was firing basement made Soviet-era rockets into a village and killed some innocent Jew. Don't you know what they went through in the Holocaust?"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:56 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Seriously though, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:10 am 
Former PJ Drummer

There's nothing wrong with them, except the fact that they have an ungodly amount of firepower. What else are they going to do with it? We're the ones giving it to them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 am 
alot of $$$

Um...this is not complicated.

1) Stop blowing Jews up.
2) Don't elect terrorists to be your leaders.
3) Repeat.

Guess what happens? You don't die anymore. It's not that complicated. Do you think Isreal attacks if they stop getting *attacked*? You think they trying to expand their landbase?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:23 am 
alot of $$$

Winter's Love wrote:
I didn't bother reading most of your post, but what do you mean "goes"? Israel has been apeship since their existence. It comes with the territory when your neighbors don't think you have the right to exist as a JEW. That whole part of the world is a terrible disaster; nothing that comes out of there surprises me anymore.

*fixed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:28 am 
Former PJ Drummer

given2trade wrote:
Um...this is not complicated.

1) Stop blowing Jews up.
2) Don't elect terrorists to be your leaders.
3) Repeat.

Exactly: far right talking points are definitely not complicated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

glorified_version wrote:
There's nothing wrong with them, except the fact that they have an ungodly amount of firepower. What else are they going to do with it? We're the ones giving it to them.

I feel like there's something wrong with them when they feel that an entire race of people don't deserve to exist. Btw, this goes both ways--Israel is just as responsible as the arab nations.

WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:35 am 
Former PJ Drummer

I don't know if you're referring to Israel or the Arabs but I think the far-right/Zionist politicians in charge of Israel who never deliver solutions to "the" problem facing their country are the ones who are most deserving of blame. Fuck them.

This is only an issue worthy of debate in America, it isn't anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

glorified_version wrote:
I don't know if you're referring to Israel or the Arabs but I think the far-right/Zionist politicians in charge of Israel who never deliver solutions to "the" problem facing their country are the ones who are most deserving of blame. Fuck them.

This is only an issue worthy of debate in America, it isn't anywhere else.

I'm going to disagree. Yes Israel shoulders a huge chunk of the blame--obviously since they're blowing up children--but the arab countries and groups that think all jews need to be wiped off the face of the planet probably deserve an equal share. I dunno man, I guess I'm weird but ethnic genocide attempts don't sit well with me.

WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:42 am 
Former PJ Drummer

The Arabs can't compete with Israel economically or militarily, I don't think they're much of an issue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1272 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 64  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate