Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: To rent or to own? That is the question.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 am 
Temporary Secretary
 WWW  Profile

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
ScottZeagle wrote:
I think it comes down to whether or not you could cover the second payment, if need be....

If the house setting empty for more than a month is going to put a financial burden on you, I wouldn't suggest it.

That's not an issue for me. I'm more concerned about the hassle of finding renters, repairing crap, etc. And if I decide to go with a property manager, finding a good property manager... And all the legal crap like setting up a corporation, etc.

don't you have to worry about squatters, too?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:43 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Do you really need a second property to get robbed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:35 am 
Administrator

cutuphalfdead wrote:

:|

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:37 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

:|

I kid because I love.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:37 am 
alot of $$$

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/11/busin ... .html?_r=1

Rent or Buy, a Matter of Lifestyle
By DAVID LEONHARDT
WASHINGTON

Real estate agents across the country are aggressively making the case that now is a good time to buy a house. Mortgage rates are near record lows and will probably rise in coming years. Home prices may not be done falling, but they probably don’t have much further to go in most places either. Rents, on the other hand, seem set to increase, thanks to low vacancy rates.

“Renters beware,” warned a newsletter that I recently received from a real estate agents’ group.

Individually, each of these points is unobjectionable. But it’s important to remember the source. Real estate agents, like mortgage brokers and home builders, have a big financial stake in persuading people to buy homes. That’s why many agents are always pushing home buying, whatever the rationale of the moment happens to be.

The truth is that you can make just as strong a case in many places for renting. For starters, neither mortgage rates nor rents are likely to rise rapidly. Even more important, house prices, relative to rents, remain higher than their long-term average, especially in much of California, the Pacific Northwest and the New York region. In these places, among others, renting is often cheaper than buying — still.

I’ve made a near-annual habit in this column of looking at the rent-versus-buy decision, and The Times has built an online calculator so that readers can make their own comparisons. The idea isn’t only to help potential buyers but also to figure out whether and where house prices are overvalued. That question is of obvious importance to homeowners and to the American economy.

As this year’s spring buying season nears its peak, the relative merits of renting and buying are closer than they have been since the housing bubble began inflating almost a decade ago. So the best single piece of advice for most people is to make a decision based mainly on their stage of life, rather than on any complex financial calculations.

If you think you are ready to settle in one place for at least five years, if not more, buying often makes a lot of sense. That’s why I bought my first house, in the Washington area, a few years ago, despite thinking local prices remained high.

But if the chances are good that you will move again in the next few years, renting is usually the better bet. The various closing costs, including real estate agents’ fees, are just too high. Owning a house also makes it much harder to move when you want to because selling a house is complicated.

Within this basic framework, the numbers — specifically, something called rent ratios — are the next place to turn. A rent ratio is the sale price of a house divided by the annual cost of renting an equivalent house. When the ratio is below 15, most people should lean toward buying.

To see why, look at the Atlanta area, where the average ratio is now about 13. Combined with today’s low interest rates, that ratio means that the typical monthly mortgage payment is several hundred dollars lower than the rent on an equivalent house. Over time, this difference helps make up for the other costs of owning, like closing costs and borrowing costs. And, yes, a mortgage costs money, despite the tax deduction.

Only if home prices in Atlanta fall further and don’t recover for years would most buyers today have reason for regret. The other areas where the average ratio is below 15, according to Moody’s Analytics, include Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Cleveland, Detroit, Phoenix, Pittsburgh and Tampa, Fla.

On the other end of the spectrum are metropolitan areas where prices still look bubbly. In San Diego, the ratio was 22 at the end of last year (and most ratios have fallen only slightly since then). In northern and central New Jersey, it was 25, and it was 29 in Manhattan. In Silicon Valley and the nearby East Bay in California, the ratio was above 30.

All these numbers are well down from their peaks from about five years ago. But they’re still higher than they were in the decades before the housing bubble. They are also high enough to make the monthly costs of owning steeper than the costs of renting.

As a rule of thumb, a ratio above roughly 20 means that a monthly mortgage bill is higher than rent for a similar house. In Silicon Valley, the after-tax mortgage payment on a typical house might be $3,500 — while the rent on the same house would be only about $2,500.

The arithmetic of owning then gets mighty tough. On top of closing costs and mortgage costs, owners are also falling further behind renters each month. To make up that ground, house prices would have to rise significantly over the next few years. Does that sound like a good bet?

When you look at the numbers this way, it’s easy to conclude that the excesses of the housing bubble are mostly gone in much of the country. Yet you also start wondering whether New York, San Francisco, Seattle and a few other places still have a housing crash in their future.

I realize there are some important caveats here. Affluent people tend to want to own their houses, even when the dollars don’t make sense, and the Northeast and West Coast are home to much more wealth than a few decades ago. That could cause future rent ratios to be higher than those in the 1990s or even the 1980s, a better decade for real estate. Meanwhile, the coming rise in rents — maybe 4 or 5 percent a year, for the next few years — will reduce rent ratios even if prices don’t fall.

Yet the fact remains that a lot of New Yorkers and Californians, among others, are paying a hefty premium for the privilege of owning. Eventually, some of them may decide it’s not worth it, much as homebuyers in Las Vegas, Phoenix and Florida ultimately decided that prices were too high. If that happens, prices in New York and California will fall, too.

A crash strikes me as unlikely. But any potential homebuyers should know that real estate exuberance — irrational exuberance, it seems — has survived in at least a few places.

E-mail: leonhardt@nytimes.com; twitter.com/DLeonhardt

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 pm 
statistically insignificant

New York Times wrote:
Real estate agents across the country are aggressively making the case that now is a good time to buy a house. Mortgage rates are near record lows and will probably rise in coming years. Home prices may not be done falling, but they probably don’t have much further to go in most places either. Rents, on the other hand, seem set to increase, thanks to low vacancy rates.

http://www.oftwominds.com/blogmay11/6-t ... t5-11.html

Quote:
$6.5 Trillion Lost, One House at a Time
(May 10, 2011)
The $6.5 trillion lost in the bursting of the housing bubble is not a "paper loss," it is tragically real

Is anyone surprised that housing continues to slide? According to this report, Home Market Takes a Tumble: Turnaround More Distant After 3% Drop, Steepest Quarterly Decline Since 2008, housing has declined in value for 57 straight months, almost 5 years. Since the housing bubble topped in most areas in 2006, and it's now 2011, that makes sense: 2006 + 5 = 2011.

American homeowners have lost $6.5 trillion in equity in those 57 months. Here is the data from the Fed Flow of Funds household balance sheet:

Homeowner's equity:
2006: $12.8 trillion
2011: $6.3 trillion

Net decline: $6.5 trillion

That is a big number, and the analysis I presented in The Housing Bubble Broke the Middle Class (April 27, 2011) suggested that this $6.5 trillion was roughly half of the middle class's total net assets.

It's difficult to grasp such large numbers, so let's look at some actual houses. The sales price of houses is public record, and more or less at random, here is a selection of recent home sales here in Northern California. I purposefully selected sales from a spectrum of neighborhoods ranging from working-class to very desirable, exclusive suburbs (the price will telegraph the property's desirability).

The key point here is that these catastrophic losses are taken by someone: either the homeowner, the lender, or the taxpayer. The gains were paper, but the losses are real. That is the ongoing tragedy of the housing bubble.

1. Recent sale: $820,000
Last sold 2007: $1.172 million
Nominal loss: $355,000
(does not include transaction costs or losses due to inflation)

Even if owner put down 30%, their equity was wiped out.

2. Recent sale: $110,000
Last sold 2005: $370,000
Nominal loss: $260,000

3. Recent sale: $160,000
Last sold 2004: $455,000
Nominal loss: $295,000

4 Recent sale: $175,000
Last sold 1999: $205,000
Nominal loss: $30,000

Nationally, prices have round-tripped to 2003, but that masks the reality that in many locales, prices have returned to 1998 or even lower.

This is a home in a very desirable suburb:

5. Recent sale: $650,000
Last sold 2005: $1.25 million
Nominal loss: $600,000

If you add up the losses from just these four homes purchased in the bubble era, the loss exceeds $1.5 million. That is a staggering loss from only four homes. Now multiple that by hundreds of thousands of homes.

Here are two homes in less desirable ("rough") neighborhoods:

6. Recent sale: $85,000
Last sold 2004: $295,000
Nominal loss: $210,000

7. Recent sale: $135,000
Last sold 2005: $419,000
Nominal loss: $284,000

Sadly, the subprime mortgage fraud enabled the "dream" of effortless profits from owning and churning real estate to filter down to even marginal areas. The bubble put real estate out of reach of qualified moderate-income buyers, and yet it was touted as a wonderful "innovation." It was certainly wonderful for Wall Street and those who originated the embezzlement-special mortgages, but less so for the taxpayers who were handed the bill to save the "too big to fail" banks and investment banks.

8. Recent sale: $255,000
Last sold 1996: $189,500
Nominal gain: $65,500

This is interesting because it offers an example of the pernicious effects of even "low" inflation. As we are constantly reminded, the U.S. has been in a "low inflation" environment for decades. This is of course a key part of the propaganda campaign to mask the severe erosion in wages' purchasing power.

On the face of it, the home seller pocketed a hefty profit of $65,500. But let's factor in commission and inflation. The transaction costs (commission, closing, transfer fees, etc.) are typically around 7%, so the actual net capital gains would be around $47,500, not $65,500.

According to the BLS inflation calculator, which likely underestimates "real" inflation, it now takes $270,000 to buy what $190,000 bought in 1996.

So the owner actually lost purchasing power in owning this house for 15 years. Minus commission and closing costs, the proceeds were around $237,000, which is about $33,000 less than the inflation-adjusted break-even point of $270,000.

Yes, there is the mortgage deduction and tax breaks to factor in, but considered strictly as an investment, the nominal and real gains in real estate still matter.

Put another way: a house purchased in 1996 for $100,000 has to be worth $142,000 today just to keep up with inflation. Factoring in transactions costs, then the house would have to be sold for roughly $152,000 for the owner to extract $142,000--the sum needed to simply maintain purchasing power.

In other words, a house that rose 50% over the past 15 years has simply kept pace with inflation. The nominal "gain" is utterly illusory

Buy now or be priced out forever!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:07 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:

Great article, but I still wonder if now isn't the best time to buy rental properties. It's not like the economy is suddenly going to pick up and everyone will want to buy houses again...

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:11 pm 

broken iris wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Great article, but I still wonder if now isn't the best time to buy rental properties. It's not like the economy is suddenly going to pick up and everyone will want to buy houses again...

I think that's actually quite right. Prices still have a ways to fall (though whether they'll be allowed to is another story). An income property is a totally different animal.

There are exceptions to every rule. The right property at the right price in the right location at the right time is certainly worth purchasing.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:05 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Rents are way down too. Its a renters market so there are a few different things going on there as well. Renters have all the bargaining power so you will have to drop rents significantly just to tie them into a long term lease. If you have the cash flow/equity etc.... to ride it out as well...then yes its a safer bet then owning a residence. However, rents are really freeking low and it will take some balls to be able to tie someone into a long term lease. Then you get into the situation where fixtures and equipment and the renters who own it/may take it with them if you dont sign them into a lease (doctors, dentists, etc...) Thus having to get the space rentable.

Retail sales are down all over the map as well.

Its basically just ugly. buy a tent and head out to the woods, friends.

Dont forgot your ipad though....will need updates from beyond....

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:08 pm 

Answer my question about the Myrcenary Double IPA in food & debate, fatso.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:10 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

link me up

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:10 pm 

62strat wrote:
link me up

viewtopic.php?p=3334061#p3334061

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:40 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

dont call me fat.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm 

stratso

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

thodoks wrote:
stratso

:luv:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:38 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

In keeping with my longstanding policy of being a total hypocrite, I am now house shopping with my wife.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:36 pm 

Oh bart d.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:50 pm 

Another terrible Case-Shiller number today. ~30 months of zero-interest rate policy, two incarnations of Quantitative Easing, and hundreds of billions in various housing-related subsidies, and the numbers are still rolling over.

Be careful bart.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:52 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Man alive. The housing market is nowhere near bottom, folks.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:29 pm 
Administrator

62strat wrote:
Man alive. The housing market is nowhere near bottom, folks.
My property tax assessment came out at 50k more than I bought my house for. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate