Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Intent vs. Actions and Altruism
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 pm 
alot of $$$

corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:
If I live in a village and my son dies, be it a terrorist attack or a cruise missile, I don't give a shit about your intentions. My son is dead. It's identical to me.

of course, but it's impossible for you to be anywhere near objective in a situation like that.

But there is my point. In my life, I only care how stranger's actions effect me. I don't care how they arrive at those decisions.

If you don't rob me because of:

1) God
2) Law
3) It's wrong

I don't give a shit. Just don't fucking rob me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:34 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

tyler wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Another reason why intent (which can't be measured) isn't nearly as important as actions (which can be objectively measured).

actions can only be objectively measured when considering the intent and surrounding circumstances. like i said, 100 civilians dead seems more acceptable if the 100 civilians dead were unfortunate collateral damage killed by cruise missiles taking out a terrorist afghani bomb-making factory as compared to 100 civilians dead due to a suicide bombing. clearly, we deplore the suicide bomber, while giving our politicians and war chiefs some leeway. and why? because of their intentions.
You say objectively measure but there's no such thing. What are you measuring against? An ever changing set of morals? How is that objective? Who's set of morals do you use to measure against?

Your object measure is just the bullshit we make up to feel good or bad about actions.

i believe there is such a thing but i don't have the time right now to post my thesis on objective morality measuring. not to mention that even your argument about subjectivity is an objective argument.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:36 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

given2trade wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:
If I live in a village and my son dies, be it a terrorist attack or a cruise missile, I don't give a shit about your intentions. My son is dead. It's identical to me.

of course, but it's impossible for you to be anywhere near objective in a situation like that.

But there is my point. In my life, I only care how stranger's actions effect me. I don't care how they arrive at those decisions.

1) God
2) Law
3) It's wrong

well, yes, there is a difference between personal morality and, say, political or military morality. the latter is in fact a whole different engagement of ethical study because humans tend to give some leeway to politicians and war leaders.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

given2trade wrote:
Of course I would rather date a girl whose intent is of "a more positive" nature.

what?

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
alot of $$$

corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:

1) God
2) Law
3) It's wrong

well, yes, there is a difference between personal morality and, say, political or military morality. the latter is in fact a whole different engagement of ethical study because humans tend to give some leeway to politicians and war leaders.

Ok, so you agree I'm right.

Locker Up!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:39 pm 
alot of $$$

corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Of course I would rather date a girl whose intent is of "a more positive" nature.

what?

I believe intent and morality absolutely matter on a personal basis.

I want to be friends with someone who doesn't rob people because it's wrong not because they are afraid of the police.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:41 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

thodoks wrote:
every decision we make, given the information and incentives we face, is an exercise in maximizing utility and furthering our respective interests.

maximizing what utility? whose utility? surely you can't mean nate intends to increase societal happiness, goodness, fairness and/or functionality because that would mean he is acting in at least a degree of unselfishness.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:42 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

given2trade wrote:

I want to be friends with someone who doesn't rob people because it's wrong not because they are afraid of the police.

doesn't that completely contradict what you just said before when we were talking about your son being dead? your friend doesn't rob people; it doesn't matter why or how, he doesn't. game over.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:43 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

given2trade wrote:
Ok, so you agree I'm right.

Locker Up!

not so fast; see above.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:44 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

SLH916 wrote:
Quote:
Do you think a suicide bomber is acting out of his own self interest?
What does that have to do with people who care for others before their own comfort?

i'd like to see this answered. i mean, are all mothers just interested in having babies to play with?

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:45 pm 
alot of $$$

corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:

doesn't that completely contradict what you just said before when we were talking about your son being dead? your friend doesn't rob people; it doesn't matter why or how, he doesn't. game over.

No, in choosing who I want to associate with, I care about people's intentions. With the rest of the world, all I care about is their actions.

I don't want the guy down the street robbing me. Period.

I don't want my friend robbing anyone and I don't want him robbing anyone for the right reason.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:46 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

given2trade wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:

No, in choosing who I want to associate with, I care about people's intentions. With the rest of the world, all I care about is their actions.

I don't want my friend robbing anyone and I don't want him robbing anyone for the right reason.

so intentions only matter when you want them to matter. noted.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 pm 
alot of $$$

corduroy_blazer wrote:
SLH916 wrote:
Quote:
Do you think a suicide bomber is acting out of his own self interest?
What does that have to do with people who care for others before their own comfort?

i'd like to see this answered. i mean, are all mothers just interested in having babies to play with?

I think having children is 100% selfish.

You have kids for a variety of reasons:

1) Ego. You want to see your genes past on.
2) Someone to take care of you when you're old. Survival.

Having children is one of the most selfish things you can do. People are starving everywhere. You could take all the financial resources you were going to put into your child and save a child that has already been born.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:48 pm 
alot of $$$

corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:
corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:

so intentions only matter when you want them to matter. noted.

Intentions only matter when I am personally involved with another human being. Again, why do I care why the guy down the street doesn't rob me? Why does it effect me? As long as he doesn't rob me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:51 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

ok, i have to go back and ask again if we draw any line between purposeful selfishness and unconsious, natural selfish acts.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:52 pm 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

given2trade wrote:
What's more important, someone's intent or their actions?

When I was younger, I always believed "it's the thought that counts." As I've gotten older, it seems like actions are much more important than someone's intent. Let me give you an example:

Does it matter why someone decides to donate money to charity, as long as the money gets donated? Does it matter why someone volunteers to read to children, as long as the kids have someone to read to them? What if the person is only going because there is a cute girl and he wants to get laid. He doesn't care at all about the children, but he still reads to them and treats them well every time he shows up. Is he any better than the person who doesn't go at all?

I am the belief that there are no altruistic deeds. Everything we do is done for selfish reasons. This sounds much more cynical than it really is. When someone does a good deed, they do it because it makes them feel good. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Should we care why someone does something or should we just judge them by the effect it has on others?

you've changed so much since you got old. :(

you are the human wyoming

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:54 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

given2trade wrote:
Intentions only matter when I am personally involved with another human being. Again, why do I care why the guy down the street doesn't rob me? Why does it effect me? As long as he doesn't rob me.

usually people care about intentions in general because they care about living in a worthwhile society. that is, morals are constructed by society, and thus, we are all involved in the process of creating them.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:54 pm 
alot of $$$

malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
What's more important, someone's intent or their actions?

When I was younger, I always believed "it's the thought that counts." As I've gotten older, it seems like actions are much more important than someone's intent. Let me give you an example:

Does it matter why someone decides to donate money to charity, as long as the money gets donated? Does it matter why someone volunteers to read to children, as long as the kids have someone to read to them? What if the person is only going because there is a cute girl and he wants to get laid. He doesn't care at all about the children, but he still reads to them and treats them well every time he shows up. Is he any better than the person who doesn't go at all?

I am the belief that there are no altruistic deeds. Everything we do is done for selfish reasons. This sounds much more cynical than it really is. When someone does a good deed, they do it because it makes them feel good. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Should we care why someone does something or should we just judge them by the effect it has on others?

you've changed so much since you got old. :(

It was nice when I was 20 and nobody would have sex with me. The world was my oyster and I was full of hope. Now I'm 30, nobody will have sex with me, and I'm bitter and angry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 pm 
alot of $$$

corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:

usually people care about intentions in general because they care about living in a worthwhile society. that is, morals are constructed by society, and thus, we are all involved in the process of creating them.

Eh, just don't fucking rob me or kill me. kthx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:11 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

corduroy_blazer wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Another reason why intent (which can't be measured) isn't nearly as important as actions (which can be objectively measured).

actions can only be objectively measured when considering the intent and surrounding circumstances. like i said, 100 civilians dead seems more acceptable if the 100 civilians dead were unfortunate collateral damage killed by cruise missiles taking out a terrorist afghani bomb-making factory as compared to 100 civilians dead due to a suicide bombing. clearly, we deplore the suicide bomber, while giving our politicians and war chiefs some leeway. and why? because of their intentions.

I disagree. I don't think one is more acceptable than the other. at all.
it certainly isn't for the 100 civilians and their families!! and so not for anyone with any sense of empathy.

if anything, I'd consider the former MORE reprehensible because it was done by supposedly reasonable people rather than nutters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate