Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:05 am 
statistically insignificant

stip wrote:
thodoks wrote:
stip wrote:
Rules and laws exist when people can't be trusted, and when the costs of the harm those people can cause outweigh the harm done by constraining the behavior of those who can be trusted.

Nobody disputes this. The conflict always emerges when people miscalculate, fail to account for, or altogether refuse to acknowledge all the costs and benefits associated with particular legislation.

agreed. I was responding to the 'most gun owners are responsible' line of argument.

I actually agree with that claim, though it's an exceptionally poor rationale for opposing legislative measures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:19 pm 
Global Moderator

what, you agree that most are responsible? So do I. I just think don't think it matters.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:27 pm 
Supersonic

How's that working out in DC and Chicago?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 pm 
Unthought Known

brainofpea wrote:
If america banned unlicensed guns over a period of 2 years, gun deaths quarter. Apparently that's a fact.

I'm not so sure what this means. What do you mean by 'unlicensed'? The guns currently in circulation that are not registered? The guns transferred by private parties?

Not to mention this 'fact' business. I can't imagine there are very many relevant case studies. I'm retty sure Australia and the UK had comparatively lower gun violence/ gun ownership to begin with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:03 pm 
Unthought Known

who are these people?!

http://news.yahoo.com/ind-man-47-guns-a ... 28349.html

http://news.yahoo.com/gunman-fires-shot ... 55510.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:50 pm 
Unthought Known

bmacsmith wrote:

I don't know about the first one, but for the second it seems like he was trying to one up Keanu Reeves character in Point Break.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:55 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

simple schoolboy wrote:
brainofpea wrote:
If america banned unlicensed guns over a period of 2 years, gun deaths quarter. Apparently that's a fact.

I'm not so sure what this means. What do you mean by 'unlicensed'? The guns currently in circulation that are not registered? The guns transferred by private parties?

Not to mention this 'fact' business. I can't imagine there are very many relevant case studies. I'm retty sure Australia and the UK had comparatively lower gun violence/ gun ownership to begin with.

The unlicensed thing confused me also.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:58 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

bmacsmith wrote:

Whack jobs!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 pm 
Global Moderator

yup, but look at the tools we furnish them with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:13 am 
Unthought Known

Bloomberg said :

“This should be his number 1 agenda. He’s the president of the United States and if he does nothing in his second term, something like 48,000 Americans will be killed by illegal guns.”

Is that true?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 am 
Supersonic

My nephew, who just this year became a police officer in SD and is a big gun owner fanatic, forwarded me a meme with the line "o banning guns will stop criminals? well it worked with meth and heroin"

Nyuck nyuck

I'm torn between assuming that he's gotten a lot dumber and doesn't realize that the argument totally hurts his cause, and wondering if maybe he's just in favor of gun control.

I'm not even secure in the "gun laws fix things" line. After all, even with the fucked up things I've seen, I'm still a guy from the Plains States at the end of the day. So. But, shit. Seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:30 am 
Former PJ Drummer

stip wrote:

More like the gunmakers have furnished them for a price.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand gun "enthusiasts" of the NRA ilk. I'm ok with however this issue plays out, but I can only hope that any new gun laws are not so restrictive that the innocent folks are left without means to protect themselves from the whack jobs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:38 am 
Global Moderator

px wrote:
stip wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand gun "enthusiasts" of the NRA ilk. I'm ok with however this issue plays out, but I can only hope that any new gun laws are not so restrictive that the innocent folks are left without means to protect themselves from the whack jobs.

i think you'll be fine. Any attempt at serious gun control will be swimming uphill. The kind of thing I want isn't really possible without a massive public shift in attitudes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:00 am 
Former PJ Drummer

stip wrote:
px wrote:
stip wrote:

i think you'll be fine. Any attempt at serious gun control will be swimming uphill. The kind of thing I want isn't really possible without a massive public shift in attitudes

There really needs to be a monumental shift in attitudes.

I have a inner Stalin that I have to stuff back deep down when some gun enthusiast mouths off like they know what they're talking about. Makes me willing to give up my right, just so they can't play with their precious toys.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

verb_to_trust wrote:
I hear a lot of people calling for arming all teachers. What do we think of that?

In addition to Spike's point, and the other obvious point that there's really no evidence that a bunch of teachers "firing back" at a shooter in a frenzied panic wouldn't result in more not fewer casualties, this platform just makes zero sense to me. While I'm sure exceptions exist, I think there's probably a very consistent reason why elementary school teachers go into elementary education instead of to the police academy. Even among people who support current gun laws (or call for looser ones), it takes another kind of person entirely to actually buy a gun, yet another kind of person to actually fire a gun, yet another kind still to actually fire a gun at a person. And while I don't doubt that any number of people, when put into a situation like the one at Sandy Hook, would be surprised at what their adrenaline will permit them to do when there's no other choice, I think individuals proposing to "arm all teachers" do to some extent simply evidence a poor understanding of culture. If we begin requiring all teachers to not only undergo firearm training but also keep a loaded weapon close at hand at all times, it seems like a significant percentage of the nurturing, sensitive personalities that have historically been attracted to the profession would be driven away from it, and especially as it pertains to very young children, I think those are qualities worth protecting. Can you really imagine a bunch of 20 year-old sorority girls in sweatpants that have "FOXY" printed across the ass gathered at a shooting range, unloading rifles into dummies to earn education credits? I realize this unfairly profiles the kinds of people who go into elementary education, but still--this is not the solution to our problem.

Somehow, the solution has to happen at the perimeter. Once the gunman gets into the school, any counter measure is only going to mitigate loss, not stop it completely. That said--while I do favor far tighter gun restrictions--I do think there needs to be some kind of realistic understanding of the fact that this kind of thing is nevertheless probably still going to happen, and something does need to be in place for it. Honest, possibly naive question from someone who doesn't really understand these things: Is there a reason that tighter security on school campuses--and I mean significantly tighter, both at the perimeters and around entrances--is just not an option even worth considering? I know no one wants to create that kind of atmosphere in our kids' schools, but at this point it seems like it's better than the possible alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:57 am 
Interweb Celebrity

Kevin Davis wrote:
In addition to Spike's point, and the other obvious point that there's really no evidence that a bunch of teachers "firing back" at a shooter in a frenzied panic wouldn't result in more not fewer casualties, this platform just makes zero sense to me.

I forget where I saw this, but I watched an interview with a law enforcement officer who said that unless people are trained hard and long on using their weapons, chances are arming, say, teachers in order to prevent these events will do nothing, if not even increase casualty numbers.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 am 
Interweb Celebrity

This was posted after the Aurora shooting. I think it still applies.

Five Things Congress Could Do In Response To The Aurora Theater Shootings

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2012/ ... st-aurora/

Quote:
1. Regulate ammunition sales. “Everything that the [Colorado theater shooting] suspect did was legal,” says Andy Pelosi of States United to Prevent Gun Violence, “Which is scary, that you can acquire that type of firepower. I think we need to take a hard look at ammunition sales.” Currently, criminals can legally get their hands on high-capacity gun magazines and armor-piercing bullets over the Internet. Such ammunition is not needed for hunting, and unnecessary for nearly any exercise in self defense. In fact, as New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg pointed out, those bullets are most dangerous for police officers. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) has committed to reintroducing legislation that would regulate such ammunition clips.

2. Increase mental illness reporting. After the horrible shooting at Virginia Tech, the state changed the structure of reporting mentally ill patients to the gun registry, including those who seek outpatient mental health services instead of just those who have been committed. Just four years out from when the law was passed, the number of mentally ill people who are blocked from obtaining a firearm in Virginia doubled. Other states haven’t been so vigilant. In fact, many states are incredibly slow to report even those mentally ill people who check in for inpatient services.

3. Background checks, every time. Gun law advocates know that the shooting in Colorado isn’t an isolated incident. Pelosi told ThinkProgress that “30 people are killed a day from guns, and many of those are purchased illegally.” Mayor Bloomberg has called on legislators to close loopholes regarding background checks, especially at gun shows. The gun show loophole and private sale loophole allow people to circumvent the regular requirements to check on the mental health and criminal record of gun purchasers. Only 17 states have such laws in effect (Colorado is one — they closed the loophole by ballot initiative in 2000), but Congress has taken no federal action to follow suit.

4. Restrict mail-order sales, step-up reporting. From 1968 until 1986, ammunition was regulated, and the mail order sale of bullets was illegal. Then, the NRA lobbied to have the law changed. When the Mcclure Volkmer Act passed, mail order sales were legalized, record-keeping requirements were repealed, and ammunition was deregulated. That was before the Internet age anonymous online ordering. Now, someone can purchase 6,000 rounds of ammunition in just a “few keystrokes.” The alleged gunman in Colorado never came face-to-face with a salesman when he bought his bullets and ballistic gear. However, a gun range owner described a “bizarre” encounter over the phone with the suspect that prompted the man to bar him from using the gun range. In the age of Internet anonymity, there are less opportunities for someone to monitor erratic behavior or sense ulterior motives.

5. Ban assault weapons. The alleged gunman in the Aurora theater used a gun that, until 2004, was illegal. That’s when Congress allowed the assault weapons ban to expire, opening the market up for military-style assault firearms. Such military-style guns (the Aurora gunman’s is the civilian equivalent to the military’s M-16) are designed to be concealed. They also have a much higher ammunition capacity. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has called on her colleagues to reinstall this ban.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 am 
Unthought Known

ceebs wrote:
1. Regulate ammunition sales. “Everything that the [Colorado theater shooting] suspect did was legal,” says Andy Pelosi of States United to Prevent Gun Violence, “Which is scary, that you can acquire that type of firepower. I think we need to take a hard look at ammunition sales.” Currently, criminals can legally get their hands on high-capacity gun magazines and armor-piercing bullets over the Internet. Such ammunition is not needed for hunting, and unnecessary for nearly any exercise in self defense. In fact, as New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg pointed out, those bullets are most dangerous for police officers. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) has committed to reintroducing legislation that would regulate such ammunition clips.

"Armor piercing bullets" is a misleading term. Such rounds are not available to civilians for pistols* (all the hubub about 'cop killers refers to these mythical rounds), but are for rifles. This really doesn't matter for rifles as a typical rifle round has more than enough velocity to zip through police body armor. Using military ball ammo (scary 'armor piercing' variety) versus typical commercial FMJ would make very little difference unless they are to upgrade their body armor. Additionally, military surplus through online sales is the only cheap way to acquire ammunition. This seems to be aimed more at pricing out certain segments of society more than reducing harm.

*Some pistols use what is normally regarded as rifle ammunition

ceebs wrote:
5. Ban assault weapons. The alleged gunman in the Aurora theater used a gun that, until 2004, was illegal. That’s when Congress allowed the assault weapons ban to expire, opening the market up for military-style assault firearms. Such military-style guns (the Aurora gunman’s is the civilian equivalent to the military’s M-16) are designed to be concealed. They also have a much higher ammunition capacity. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) has called on her colleagues to reinstall this ban.

The weapon the shooter in Norway used would not have been covered under the assault weapons ban as far as I'm aware (with the exception of magazine capacity). Its a dumb law. Pistol grips, flash hiders and bayonet lugs do not make a weapon more lethal. Its totally arbitrary. Magazines are rather trivially easy to manufacture, so should we send people away for 5-10 years for possesing a piece of stamped sheet metal with a spring inside? . That punishment does not seem to fit the crime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 am 
Unthought Known

http://sociological-eye.blogspot.com/2012/09/clues-to-mass-rampage-killers-deep.html

I'm the first one to label sociology a pseudo science, but I liked the following quote. Later talkes about different types of shooters and whatnot.

Quote:
Many people who own guns are gun-cultists, for whom guns are symbolic objects, connected with their identity and lifestyle (analyzed in Collins, Interaction Ritual Chains). The political argument over banning or retaining guns has strong emotional overtones on both sides. Anti-gun-cultists dislike not only guns but the lifestyle and the values of the people who have them; this is evident in the case of anti-hunting movements, including the recently successful anti-foxhunting movement in England.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:17 pm 
Supersonic

Yeah, there's nothing more amusing than people who know absolutely nothing about guns, trying to figure out ways to limit their use.

So, if I go I'm experiencing some PTSD from a death in the family, or some traumatic incident I saw and seek help, I can no longer get a gun in Virginia? Awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 83  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate