Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The RIAA, still being cunts..gaining no ground
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 pm 
a joke

p911gt10c wrote:
But it's basically equally unpayable to me."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 pm 
Leak Inspector
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
J38ryan wrote:
Sandler wrote:
I don't know what I'd do, other than cry, if Bit Torrent stopped working one day
The technology itself won't ever "stop working".

That's the great thing about torrents. All you can shut down are individual communities that share the torrents.

do you remember when we started to use it? i guess it was pearl jam's 2003 tour

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 pm 
Of Counsel

psychobain wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
J38ryan wrote:
Sandler wrote:
I don't know what I'd do, other than cry, if Bit Torrent stopped working one day

That's the great thing about torrents. All you can shut down are individual communities that share the torrents.

That was my first experience with torrents.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:05 am 
Former PJ Drummer

punkdavid wrote:
psychobain wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
J38ryan wrote:
Sandler wrote:

That was my first experience with torrents.

same here. i can't believe it's been 7 years :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:02 pm 
Of Counsel

If anyone has any moral qualms about stealing music, this should help alleviate those...

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2010/07/14 ... epreneurs/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:51 am 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

http://www.rbr.com/radio/26781.html

Quote:
CEA takes a swipe at mandating FM in a PRA deal

A few days ago the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) was refusing to get involved in the Performance Rights Act (PRA) and the potential NAB deal with RIAA/musicFirst to have PRA mandate inclusion of FM radio chips in cell phones. No more. CEA is involved and opposed.

“The backroom scheme of the NAB and RIAA to have Congress mandate broadcast radios in portable devices, including mobile phones, is the height of absurdity,” said a statement issued by CEA President and CEO Gary Shapiro.

“Forced inclusion of an additional antenna, processor and radio receiver will compromise features that consumers truly desire, such as long battery life and light weight. Reducing product performance, mandating inclusion of features consumers don’t want, and replacing product innovation by companies like Amazon, Apple, Motorola and HP-Palm with government design mandates are not in our national interest,” the CEA chief complained.

“The performance royalty legislation voted out of the Senate Judiciary Committee does not include this onerous and backward-looking radio requirement. Rather than adapt to the digital marketplace, NAB and RIAA act like buggy-whip industries that refuse to innovate and seek to impose penalties on those that do,” Shapiro concluded.

RBR-TVBR observation: NAB and RIAA believe they can muster enough pressure from Capitol Hill to neuter any opposition from CEA and CTIA (representing the cell phone companies) and push a PRA deal, if and when one is reached, through Congress on a fast track. But with the 111th Congress so near its end, a single Senator would appear to have the ability to knock the whole thing off the track by putting a hold on the legislation.

stay classy RIAA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:15 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

man. that is stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:24 am 
Former PJ Drummer

if people wanted radio in their cellphones it probably would have been an industry standard 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:34 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Don't pretty much all new phones have a 3g internet connection now? And aren't almost all FM stations streaming online?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:17 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Don't pretty much all new phones have a 3g internet connection now? And aren't almost all FM stations streaming online?

exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:30 pm 
Unthought Known

Senators Ask For DOJ Power To Fight Online Piracy

September 21, 2010

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Sen. Orin Hatch (R-UT) have introduced legislation that would give the U.S Department of Justice increased power over online piracy. "The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act will give the Department of Justice an expedited process for cracking down on these rogue Web sites regardless of whether the Web site's owner is located inside or outside of the United States," according to a statement released by the Senators.

The legislation is co-sponsored by Senators Herb Kohl (D-WI), Arlen Specter (D-PA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Evan Bayh (D-IN) and George Voinovich (R-OH).

The legislation would give the DOJ to power to investigate U.S.-based websites illegally hosting and sharing copyrighted content. If the site was found to be involved in copyright infringement, the Justice Department would have the authority to to order the site's owner to shut it down. CNet reports that the legislation would essentially let the Justice Department try to block such sites from being accessed within the U.S. or cut off the sites from receiving credit card transactions or ad revenue.

The RIAA of course "applauds" the proposed legislation. In a statement, RIAA Chairman/CEO Mitch Bainwol said, "The trafficking of pirated American movies and music from rogue websites outside our borders is a big business. This bill is a welcome first step toward cutting off the financial lifeline that sustains these illegal operations and threatens the livelihoods of countless members of the American music community. While improvements can be made to strengthen its effectiveness, this legislation is a good start and we applaud Chairman Leahy, Senator Hatch and other co-sponsors for casting a spotlight on a critically needed reform and for their continued leadership in protecting American ingenuity and creativity."

A joint statement supporting the legislation has also been released by American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), Directors Guild of America (DGA), International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the United States, Its Territories and Canada (IATSE), and Screen Actors Guild (SAG):

"This legislation will make it easier to shut down 'rogue' websites, which are dedicated to stealing the films, television programs and music created by our members. The largely foreign profiteers who operate these sites rob our members of the ability to make a living from their creativity and labor, prevent funds from reaching their pension and health plans, and endanger their ability to work now and in the future. These profiteers also hurt the American economy and ultimately the American consumer because Internet theft, if left unchecked, imperils the ability of content creators and financiers to continue making the content that people love to watch. Rogue sites look legitimate, but make no mistake – these sites are illegal and they are trafficking in illegally-obtained content, with only one goal in mind – making money from films, television programs, and recordings that they had no role at all in creating or financing. The proposed legislation makes it clear that this kind of profiteering is both illegal and unacceptable."

"We thank Chairman Leahy for his recognition of the stake Guild and Union members have in this situation and we look forward to working with him on this legislation as it moves through Congress."

Quote:
For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 pm 
Unthought Known

Quote:
For a vegetarian, Rents, you're a fuckin' EVIL shot!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:35 pm 
Reissued

HOW DARE U STOP ME FROM STEALIN

MANIFEST DESTINY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Mickey wrote:
HOW DARE U STOP ME FROM STEALIN

MANIFEST DESTINY

God himself wants me to have 10TG of music!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:24 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:05 am 
a joke

B wrote:

Well, then its okay because Im stealing from lots of people!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:03 pm 
Global Moderator

yup.

Guys, free downloading is utterly indefensible. We just do it because we want to. Lets not make ourselves heroes in the process.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:06 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Absolutely. But the argument that you're stealing from the starving artist is for the most part, wrong.

But it still doesn't change the fact that you're stealing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 pm 
Global Moderator

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Absolutely. But the argument that you're stealing from the starving artist is for the most part, wrong.

true. Well, you're still stealing from them too. Just less than you thought you were.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:08 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

stip wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

true. Well, you're still stealing from them too. Just less than you thought you were.

Yep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate